Let it be known

Rowen

It's been 3,151 days since October 21, 2002, giving a posting rate of one every 3.151 days. This is equivalent to 0.317 posts per day.

If we round Rowen's time here off to nine years, remembering that two leap years have passed during it, that gives us .304 posts/day, which is the closest I've been able to get to either of the numbers Slarty suggested.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

Congratulations on a kilo of spam.

I propose we define a unit of spamming rate, equal to one post per week, because that leaves even insanely frequent posters at well under a thousand units, and consistent but moderate contributers in the 1 to 10 range.

I propose further that we name this unit in honor of someone.

Suggestions?

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Nikki
Look at me, I can't even be bothered to write my own message! I am truly the more optimal spammer!

(Also, dude, 9 years?!)

(Addit: Also, also, I thought this was going to be a Patti Smith thread for a moment.)

Originally Posted By: Copy to Meatspace
I think we're calibrating wrong. One post per week should be a millicanned.

Well if Arancaytar was here we could get some rigorous data of post counts per week averaged over the year for the active posters. Then we could compare the average and median values for a benchmark.

Or we could dig through the archives for the old data from the last time he kept it. If we can ever pry it loose from the fluffy turtles.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
At a post rate of 3.073 posts per day I have reached the high and might state that everyone else on this forum has already achieved. High quality spam. I remember that spam would lead to the coveted title CANNED.

Good Job 0n your 1,000th post! As a fellow spammer (but with much less posts) I feel good when I post.

Post #554 cool

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
The alo?
The salm?
The aran?
Or maybe the tar?
Or the pol in honor of Polaris?
The ed?
The argh?
...or the tully?

"He's posting at 53 tullies, captain!"

It's only logical that the gold standard for measuring posting rates should be 1 post/ 45 seconds that's the forum limit for non-mods, and that from there, your "rating" would simply be the inverse of how many times your current postcount would have to be to be in order to have your limit.

Actually, mil- is usually followed by li- and means a thousandth as a prefix. Mil- as a thousand is relatively uncommon. And to make matters more confusing, sometimes it's the beginning of the number milliard, which is a thousand millions on the scale in which million, billion, trillion, and so on each increase by a factor of a million.

—Alorael, who actually thinks the long scale makes more sense. In short scale numbers, the scale starts at a thousand, then million, then billion, then trillion; why are the prefixes for two and three at three and four? Having million be the base unit of large numbers makes the naming conventions more appropriate.

The short way, there are more billionaires. Milliardaire sounds like a fridge.

I suggest the Calorael.

I think we should use an irrational base. Base pi, for instance, sounds eminently ideal. Furthermore, in practice it will be rare to do things like buy two boxes of cereal, then toss an extra 1.14 ... boxes into the cart because they're on sale. So that extra 0.14 ... will just be wasted a lot of the time. It can default to the government, allowing us to abolish taxes and fund everything from arithmetic instead.

Further in the vein of social engineering by alternative math, I suggest saving the middle class (which everyone agrees has to be saved) by modifying the legal tender laws to apply modulo a million dollars or so.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
The short way, there are more billionaires. Milliardaire sounds like a fridge.

I suggest the Calorael.

I think we should use an irrational base. Base pi, for instance, sounds eminently ideal. Furthermore, in practice it will be rare to do things like buy two boxes of cereal, then toss an extra 1.14 ... boxes into the cart because they're on sale. So that extra 0.14 ... will just be wasted a lot of the time. It can default to the government, allowing us to abolish taxes and fund everything from arithmetic instead.

Pi is already taken by the radian system (though I'm sure that you won't let it stop you) perhaps we can use 'e' instead, just like nature smile

Originally Posted By: Erasmus
Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity

Pi is already taken by the radian system (though I'm sure that you won't let it stop you) perhaps we can use 'e' instead, just like nature smile

Naw, I'd rather keep government small.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I think a log scale would be more useful since some people's post counts go up exponentially.

Congratulations Alorael on making it 19000 posts. smile

you mean log base 2 log base 10 or ln ?

Protip: Instead of writing log base 2 of x, or formatting like log2(x), just use lb(x) or ld(x) instead. Smart people will know what you mean, and stupid people will think you're smart.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I think a log scale would be more useful since some people's post counts go up exponentially.

Congratulations Alorael on making it 19000 posts. smile

you mean log base 2 log base 10 or ln ?

Protip: Instead of writing log base 2 of x, or formatting like log2(x), just use lb(x) or ld(x) instead. Smart people will know what you mean, and stupid people will think you're smart.

I consider myself reasonably smart, and I don't understand. If that, by virtue of not knowing, makes me stupid, I still don't think you're smart. smile

Originally Posted By: Impudent Strumpet!
I consider myself reasonably smart, and I don't understand. If that, by virtue of not knowing, makes me stupid, I still don't think you're smart. smile

Aren't you a liberal arts major? If so, QED. tongue

You're just jealous because we got more action than you sciencey/mathy people.

log() with base e is almost always referred to as ln(). I usually see log() with base 2 referred to as lg(), but maybe that's just a CompSci thing.

I never use log() with base 10, so I don't know if there's any unambiguous shorthand for it. Like Dantius said, it's a really awkward base to work in.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
log() with base e is almost always referred to as ln(). I usually see log() with base 2 referred to as lg(), but maybe that's just a CompSci thing.

I never use log() with base 10, so I don't know if there's any unambiguous shorthand for it. Like Dantius said, it's a really awkward base to work in.

log to base 10 is useful for constructing logarithmic graphs, for calculating values that are conventionally stated in decibels, and for not very much else

That is 3:14 long. Therefor, the video is cosmically correct. Anyone who uses long billions or whatever is wrong. Each thousand is a new prefix.

Also, whoever pointed out that the second thousand prefix (mil) is one, the third (bil) is two, and so on, thank you. I had noticed this before, and it always frustrates me. Why are numbers so mean to me?

Originally Posted By: Master1

That is 3:14 long. Therefor, the video is cosmically correct. Anyone who uses long billions or whatever is wrong. Each thousand is a new prefix.

Also, whoever pointed out that the second thousand prefix (mil) is one, the third (bil) is two, and so on, thank you. I had noticed this before, and it always frustrates me. Why are numbers so mean to me?

It's because they are french smile

Click to reveal..

Long scale is the English translation of the French term échelle longue. It refers to a system of large-number names in which every new term greater than million is 1,000,000 times the previous term: billion means a million millions (10^12), trillion means a million billions (10^18), and so on.

Short scale is the English translation of the French term échelle courte. It refers to a system of large-number names in which every new term greater than million is 1,000 times the previous term: billion means a thousand millions (10^9), trillion means a thousand billions (10^12), and so on.