Quotes you love

Trenton.

Based on the subject, I'm guessing that he's looking for favorite quotes of any kind. If so, mine change frequently. Currently, they are:

Serious category

Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you. --Sartre

Humorous category

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx

Saint Bernard of Clarivaux - "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Walter Williams - "A thief is more moral than a congressman; when a thief steals your money, he doesn't demand you thank him."

Thomas Jefferson - "Most bad government has grown out of too much government."

James Madison - "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations."

George Washington - "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness."

Thomas Jefferson - "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground."

Also, the one in my signature.

“I am perplexed by my own data and my conclusion is a direct contradiction of the original idea with which I start. Starting from unlimited freedom, I arrive at unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social problem but mine.”

-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Possessed, also translated as Demons

"Ambition is never in a greater hurry than I; it merely keeps pace with my circumstances and with my general way of thinking"

-Napoleon Bonaparte

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that they can be solved"

-Isaac Asimov

"In the first place, I put for a general inclination of all mankind a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. And the cause of this is not always that a man hopes for a more intensive delight than he has already attained to, or that he cannot be content with a moderate power, but because he cannot assure the power and means to live well, which he hath present, without the acquisition of more."

-Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

I've got many quotes i like, but i have to put them in bold and some of them into context so as you may understand them:

"She hated him.

That was the terrible truth of the matter. However tenderly phrased her refusal, he could read between the lines of her letter. She thought he was an ugly, scarred, nightmare-ridden grotesque, and she hated him with all her heart.

That was the beginning, the middle and the end of the matter."

Clive Barker -The Abarat.

"After a battle lasting many ages,

The Devil won,

And he said to God

(who had been his Maker):

"Lord,

We are about to witness the unmaking of Creation

By my hand.

I would not wish you

to think me cruel,

So I beg you, take three things

From this world before I destroy it.

Three things, and then the rest will be

wiped away."

God thought for a little time.

And at last He said:

"No, there is nothing."

The Devil was surprised.

"Not even you, Lord?" he said.

And God said:

"No. Not even me.""

Clive Barker -the Abarat II : days of magic, nights of war.

"`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

`Well, then,' the Cat went on, `you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad.'"

Lewis Carrol -Alice in Wonderland.

"Imagine their city was standing, absolutely straight. New York is a city that stands."

Céline -Voyage au bout de la Nuit/Journey to the End of the Night (1932)

"A stone has weight wether you think it has or not."

-Geneforge.

"He talked with his attendants, as I suppose, upon the strange superficiality and unreasonableness of (man) who lives on the mere surface of a world, a creature of waves and winds, and all the chances of space, who cannot even unite to overcome the beasts that prey upon his kind, and yet who dares to invade another planet."

H.G.Wells -The First Men on the moon

"Ohhhhh, pédérastres incompréhensibles, ce n'est pas moi qui lancerai des injures à votre grande dégradation, ce n'est pas moi qui viendrait jeter le mépris sur votre anus infundibuliforme."

"Voilà que les animaux de la terre se réunissent aux hommes, font entendre leurs bizarres clameurs. Plus de haine réciproque ; les deux haines sont tournées contre l’ennemi commun, moi..."

Isisdore du Caste -Chants de Maldoror

"But they must be very, very old, and the old are often insanely jealous of the young."

Arthur.C.Clarke -The Sentinel

"For a few seconds Moon-Watcher stood uncertainly above his new victim, trying to grasp the new and wonderful fact that the dead leopard could kill again! Now he was master of the world, and he was not quite sure what to do next but he would think of something."

"Then he [The Star Child] waited, marshaling his thoughts and brooding over his still untested powers. For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next. But he would think of something."

2001: A space odyssey -Arthur.C.Clarke

Quote:
Kuzco: D'oh! You threw off my groove!
Guard: I'm sorry, but you've thrown off the Emperor's groove.
[the old man is thrown out of the palace window]
Old Man: Sooooorry!

Quote:
Yzma: A llama? He's supposed to be *dead*.
Kronk: Yeah, weird.

Quote:
Kronk's Shoulder Angel: You're not just gonna let him die like that, are you?
Kronk: My shoulder angel.
Kronk's Shoulder Devil: Don't listen to that guy. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'm gonna lead you down the path that *rocks*.

Quote:
Yzma: That's it, Kronk! Break the door down!
Kronk: Break it down? Are ya kidding me? This is hand-carved mahogany

Quote:
Kuzco: No touchy.

there is nothing impossible to him who will try.

- Alexander The Great

the invisible and nonexistent look very much alike.

-Delos McKown

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

i am unconvinced that faith can move mountains, but i HAVE seen what it can do to skyscrapers.

-Bill Maher

Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.

-Mark Twain

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Attendee: Brought peace?

Reg: Oh, peace - shut up!

-Monty Python And The Life Of Brian.

Originally Posted By: Impudent Strumpet!
I'm only halfway through Portal 2, so if anybody else is going to quote it, can I respectfully ask you use the spoiler tags?

Thanks!

What's that? Portal 2 quotes? Okay, threadjacking commenced!
Click to reveal..

Originally Posted By: GLaDOS
Okay. Look. We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster.

Did you know that people with a guilty conscience startle easi- *HONK*

Oh. Hi. So, how are you holding up? BECAUSE I'M A POTATO!

Well done. Here come the test results: "You are a horrible person." That's what it says: a horrible person. We weren't even testing for that.

That jumpsuit you're wearing looks stupid. That's not me talking, it's right here in your file. On other people it looks fine, but right here a scientist has noted that on you it looks "stupid". Well, what does a neck-bearded old engineer know about fashion? He probably— Oh, wait. It's a she. Still, what does she know? Oh wait, it says she has a medical degree. In fashion! From France!

I'll just mark that down in the Commendations section of your file. Ooh, lots of space here.

Look at you, soaring majestically through the air. Like an eagle. Piloting a blimp

Originally Posted By: Wheatley
You two are going to love this big surprise. In fact, you might say that you're both going to love it to death. Love it... until it kills you. Until you're dead. Alright? I don't know whether you're picking up on what I'm saying there, but...

Now you've been under for... quite a lot longer, and it's not out of the question that you might have a very minor case of serious brain damage. But don't be alarmed, alright? Although, if you do feel alarm, try to hold onto that feeling because that is the proper reaction to being told you have brain damage.

Well, no matter. Because I'm still holding all the cards, and guess what: they're all full houses! Never played cards; meaning to learn.

Holmes versus Moriarty... Aristotle versus mashy spike plate!

Originally Posted By: Cave Johnson
Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

If you've cut yourself at all in the course of these tests you might have noticed that your blood is pure gasoline. That's normal. We've been shooting you with an invisible laser that's supposed to turn blood into gasoline. So all that means is, it's working

Originally Posted By: Fact Core
Marie Curie invented the theory of radioactivity, the treatment of radioactivity, and dying of radioactivity.

Cell phones will not give you cancer. Only hepatitis.

89% of magic tricks are not magic. Technically, they are sorcery.

Avacadoes have the highest fiber and calories of any fruit. They are found inside Australians.

In Victorian England, a commoner was not allowed to look directly at the queen, due to a belief at the time that the poor had the ability to steal thoughts. Science now knows that less than 4% of poor people can do this.

Originally Posted By: Chell
[jump]

"We have met the enemy and he is us"

- Pogo

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."

- Chesty Puller

"Great. Now we can shoot at those bastards from every direction."

- Chesty Puller

"We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

- Chesty Puller

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."

- Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: loyal servile of sasuke uchiha
every time i post here or anywhere else, my post gets deleted 5 minutes later...

The some basic pattern recognition skills, combined with elementary logic, would lead you to the conclusion that it would be far more efficient to simply no post in the first place, as it would save moderators the trouble of having to delete your posts and the end result would be identical.

Originally Posted By: Loyal Servile
every time i post here or anywhere else, my post gets deleted 5 minutes later...

Are you sure you're actually hitting the post reply button and that your posts are actually getting through? Because your posts are not getting deleted.

And Dantius, be nice.

Dikiyoba.

loyal servile, you don't have to respond to every topic, and I think that's what Dikiyoba meant before. Sometimes, there are going to be threads where you don't understand or know about the topic that's being discussed - for example, this happens a lot to me with the more science-related threads - and I choose not to disrupt the conversations happening there and go to post in another thread instead.

As a general tip, if you can't add something new to a thread, you shouldn't post in it. Asking questions is fine, and encouraged, but more often than not, reading the entire thread will answer your question, meaning that there is no real reason to post it. If you've read a thread and still think your question or point is valid, go ahead and post! We're a pretty friendly place, and any input is great, as long as you're not asking us to repeat what we said three posts ago. smile

Originally Posted By: Impudent Strumpet!
loyal servile, you don't have to respond to every topic, and I think that's what Dikiyoba meant before. Sometimes, there are going to be threads where you don't understand or know about the topic that's being discussed - for example, this happens a lot to me with the more science-related threads - and I choose not to disrupt the conversations happening there and go to post in another thread instead.

Im sorry. It's just so addicting on here. the fact that the more you post the more levels you get.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
Maybe if he had achievements, as well as just levels.

Hey, a set of achievements for these boards here would be cool. It would give newbies something to shoot for, rather than gazing helplessly at the staggering postcounts of oldbies, and dreaming of Maybe Someday. We could base them on the Avadon medals, for instance.

"Start a thread."

"Start a thread that lasts three pages."

"Start a thread that lasts ten pages."

"Make posts in three different forums."

"Start a thread in three different forums."

"Post something really funny."

Hmm, on second thought, I can see this flooding the boards with many inane posts. Maybe the achievements need to be made more obscure.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Hmm, on second thought, I can see this flooding the boards with many inane posts.
posting.GIF

Anyway, back to the original topic. This isn't my favorite quote (I actually don't have a favorite), but I thought it interesting.
Quote:
True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

Originally Posted By: Blink and a miss
—Alorael, who wants board achievements that only oldbies can understand. It would be much more welcoming that way. Also vindicating for certain people.

A good one would be posting in a thread multiple times before going back and editing out all of your posts.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
otoh andy warhol was a pretty bad artist

I agree with this statement. I've never understood how people were willing to pay millions of dollars for, say, a superimposed silkscreen of Elvis, or the same silkscreen over and over with color changes. It just doesn't make any sense!

And it's not that the concept of spending massive sums of money on art is bad- If I were a billionaire, or even just a multimillionaire, I'd totally drop ten or twenty million on an original Rembrandt or Vermeer or David. But paint thrown haphazard on a canvas? You'd have to be brain damaged to spend $100,000,000 on it!