Quotes you love

Trenton.

Originally Posted By: Rowen

Art for the sake of the Art, not the name of who created it.

That's just it. I once saw a large exhibit of colored blown glass art. Most of it was stuff I could have done, given the materials, so I was breezing through. Suddenly I hit a string of pieces that weren't like that: I couldn't explain why, but they just looked extremely cool. After determining that there was just this one set of really cool ones in the place, I checked who had happened to make these ones.

They were by Pablo Picasso. And none of his were not cool. I'd had no idea he had ever worked in glass. I had never considered myself a fan of his paintings. But the real deal is the real deal.

[mentalnote] Don't come to these forums for art discussions. [/mentalnote]

I listed a couple of quotes earlier, but here's a gem:

"I seem to have been only a boy playing on the seashore, now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." --Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
The great thing about that one is that it shows how smart Newton was. Because he was right.

I'd have to say that my favorite quote about Newton is either that one, his epitaph, "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants", or the entire rant by the drill instructor in Mass Effect 2.

Do you mean Pope's two-line epitaph, or the Latin ramble that's actually on Newton's tomb? Though not as catchy, the inscription is decent enough in fact, since it lists his astonishing achievements, and concludes with a sentence that accomplishes the difficult task of being adequate to the case: "Mortals, congratulate yourselves, that one so great has adorned the human race." It's a bit awkward in English, but at least to my amateur ear the Latin rolls well:

Sibi gratulentur Mortales,

Tale tantumque exstitisse

Humani generis decus.

I heard somebody allege once that in Newton's day 'standing on the shoulders of giants' was a stock phrase, even a trite one, for expressing due intellectual modesty, and that Newton not only didn't originate it, but clearly meant it sarcastically, having few modest bones in his body.

One of my favorites is from The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis:

"And Nothing is very strong: strong enough to steal away a man's best years not in sweet sins but in a dreary flickering of the mind over it knows not what and knows not why, in the gratification of curiosities so feeble that the man is only half aware of them, in drumming of fingers and kicking of heels, in whistling tunes that he does not like, or in the long, dim labyrinth of reveries that have not even lust or ambition to give them a relish, but which, once chance association has started them, the creature is too weak and fuddled to shake off."

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
One of my favorites is from The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis:

"And Nothing is very strong: strong enough to steal away a man's best years not in sweet sins but in a dreary flickering of the mind over it knows not what and knows not why, in the gratification of curiosities so feeble that the man is only half aware of them, in drumming of fingers and kicking of heels, in whistling tunes that he does not like, or in the long, dim labyrinth of reveries that have not even lust or ambition to give them a relish, but which, once chance association has started them, the creature is too weak and fuddled to shake off."

The scary thing is, that was written long before the internet.