Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic
Harald Slackjaw Harald Slackjaw

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:33 PM #1 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Maps and Guides
Avernum: Escape from the Pit Hints
What Do I Do Next?

Analysis
In-Depth Analysis of Tactics, Party Needs, Stats, Skills, Traits, Spells
Stats and Abilities
Cost-benefit Analysis of Cave Lore
Damage Boosts from Cloak Spells

What and Where
Synergizer's Item List for Avernum
Items to keep for quests
Level 3 spell locations
Quests that affect reputation
Spell and ability trainers
List of Potion Makers and Recipes
Armor
Weapons
Cache locations and contents
Gremlin's Gold Maps

Builds
How to Avoid Sucking at Avernum
RaustBlackDragon's guide to fun party building
The Rev's Anama-style Torment build
No-magic build / tactics

Miscellaneous
Saved Games Location  
List of Cheat Codes  
Assorted Mods

—Alorael, who welcomes any contributions in the way of strategy, tactics, maps, builds, advice, tips, and color commentary.

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:37 PM #2 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

the builds link goes to the items link
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Clocknova Clocknova

Mercenary

• Member ID: 5,432
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:47 PM #3 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Could someone post the list of cheat codes here as well?

Death Knight Death Knight

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 7,362
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:50 PM #4 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I dont want to nag anyone, but if some of you guys that happened to beat the game on the crazy difficulties (anyone but me), could you post your success on the different builds that are out there. Im not brave enough for torment but i would like to try hard.

I find that with the new trait system there are quite a few different types of characters to make. Just a few are off the top of my head that i would like to find more about on the higher difficulties-

Melee Tank-Hardiness/Pole or melee/parry or dualwield or lethal blow. This would be a typical brute build that either goes with dual wielding or lethal blow depending on preference. Hardiness is a must as is parry. Quick action is good but not as much as the 2nd build.

Melee Swashbuckler-This type is the complete opposite. Instead of strength, dex and endurance. Not that much a difference. Quick action/blademaster, some parry and hardiness and mostlikely dualwielding or lethal blow. I would say that this would be a neat combo build as quick action helps reduce the medium/low disciplines to nearly 1 fatigue at high levels.

I havent played ranged so far as i wanted to try melee (i played ranged in avadon).
"Arguing on the internet is pointless. You don't even know the stakes as that person could not believe in what they preach. Having a friendly discussion is great unless your dagger's already drawn. -Lucien Leblanc

"Sometimes in a chaotic world, its always nice to bring a little chaos wherever you go."-Personal Quote

"What is best in life? Usually movies, gaming and food....and family"-Raymond Morrison

MMXPERT-seraph of thermodynamics MMXPERT-seraph of thermodynamics

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 7,780
  • 641 posts
  • LocationMars, Cydonia, 40.74 N, 9.46 W

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:43 AM #5 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Averdon
After many months of excruciating training, I've finally taught my dog how to say it's own name.

Amazing sir, can you please explain how you managed this incredible feat?

Its name is Woof.

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• Member ID: 7,556
  • 706 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:44 AM #6 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

My playthrough is completely stucked because the party can't get higher dispel barrier levels. I read here that this ca be improved in Koth liar, but what Koth looks for in exchange of his ward ritual is behind a barrier which the party can't take down. I surely miss something about dispel barriers, otherwise Catch 22 would come to my mind...
"Your freedom to do what?" "Sinister imp things"
"Loud Shadowalkers?"
"It's a nice garden" - "No, it's not. It's a stupid garden"

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:42 AM #7 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

The thing Khoth wants is behind a piercing crystal level barrier.  The few Empire soldiers guarding it are trivial as long as you don't charge into the room.

The spell book for level 3 Dispel Barrier is behind a series of hidden switch secret rooms that can be explored with TU 8.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:51 AM #8 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I truly don't get the tips. 1) the ruined fort is where what Khoth wants it's supposed to be, isn't it? There's a small barrier and after the barrier a small portion of water. Can't take down the barrier 2) I miss the place/cave you mean for level 3 Dispel Barrier 3) what is TU8?
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Ceiling Durkheim Ceiling Durkheim

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 7,301
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:57 AM #9 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

TU8 = 8 Tool use (total for the party).
When you think about it, 'Fnord Cola' is a really disappointing name for a soda. All the cans would just read 'Cola.'

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:23 AM #10 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Originally Posted By: Superba
I truly don't get the tips. 1) the ruined fort is where what Khoth wants it's supposed to be, isn't it? There's a small barrier and after the barrier a small portion of water. Can't take down the barrier.

The Ruined Fort has clues about where the item has been moved, but you don't need to explore it.  The place you want is the Strange Cave over the chasm south of the Giant Castle.
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:26 AM #11 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Yes, thanks, I got the Dispel Barriers spell, as in the Ruined fort I already have been there but I did'nt see last switch in Khoth liar and unfortunately ignored the ghost in Ruined Fort. Hunt can go on now   grin
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:40 PM #12 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I was too optimistic about going on. Found no Strange Cave south of Giant Castle. Maybe north there's a strange cave meaning it has something to do with strange cloaks (vanhatai) but can't dispel barrier. I also passed Sulfras, entered the "exit" but I have only half password. Have the five brooch but lacks something I can't remember. For each main quest, big demon boss included, there's something missing I can't find: really, I'm stucked.
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:25 PM #13 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

The Strange Cave is over the chasm south of the Giant Castle, as Randomizer says.  It is PAST THE CHASM so you need the Orb of Thralni to get there.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:33 PM #14 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I suspected so. I got the Orb minutes ago but it comes with no manual. That's a main problem to me.

All right, all right, found it, I expected more complications to switch it
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:57 PM #15 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

As it turns out, my Pyrog/Drath post had a major goof: it's only reading Drath's tome that interrupts the quest sequences, and that only blocks Thantria's final quest.  Whoops.  I've removed it since it is now pretty pointless.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

HelgaMarie88 HelgaMarie88

Citizen

• Member ID: 8,529
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:01 AM #16 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

May I ask how the cheat codes work? u need to bring up a game console or what? thnx

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,477
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationThree Sheets to the Wind house, in Sinshan

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:59 AM #17 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Hold down the Shift key and press d. The dialog box that pops up is the cheat console.

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:06 AM #18 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I'd like to update to version 1.01 so I downloaded the file from Spiderweb Software Homepage - News - Avernum: Escape from the Pit Update.
However, before installation I noticed file's name is "AvernumDemo". I purchased the game and obviously wouldn't like to risk to downgrade it.
Is it all right installing this file or I got the wrong one?
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Kreador Kreador

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 6,826
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:14 AM #19 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

It is the correct file. Don't worry. The drag-and-drop installation does not change anything in the preferences files where your registration is stored.

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:27 AM #20 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Ok, thank you very much.
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Mill Wilkinson Mill Wilkinson

New Arrival

• Member ID: 7,755
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:17 AM #21 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

((I'll delete post if in wrong place.))

So, does this sound a viable group and would you have some input?

1. Melee shield+sword, protection tank.
2. dual-wield/2 handed (2 handed might be better for the lack of skill points needed) +bows dexterity fighter.
3. Priest with, mayhap, some Mage
4. Mage with, mayhap, some Priest

Juan Carlo Juan Carlo

Shaman

• Member ID: 8,051
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:40 AM #22 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Is there a list of potion makers, their locations, and what they make?

I've looked but can't seem to find one, unless I'm just over looking something.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:41 AM #23 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Potion makers are mostly buried in the Item List, but there is no separate list.

Fort Duvno, Tower of Magi, Patrick's Tower and Dharmon have them.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:20 PM #24 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I've taken the liberty of giving this thread an eye-catching and informative title, since we still frequently get questions posted that are answered by threads linked from here.

CoarseDragon CoarseDragon

Citizen

• Member ID: 9,110
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:37 AM #25 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I did not see this posted in this thread.

This is the best site I have found for complete maps of Avernum: Escape from the Pit annotated maps

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:06 PM #26 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Those are not maps of Avernum: Escape from the Pit.  Those are maps of Avernum 1, which A:EFTP remade.  The maps are not the same.

Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,187 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:09 PM #27 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

cause those are old Avernum EFTP's maps not this AEFTP's maps, some changes between versions but mostly same.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:12 PM #28 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Avernum 1 did NOT have the EFTP subtitle.  There is no "old Avernum EFTP."  Avernum EFTP is new, Avernum 1 is old.

Citizen

• 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:25 PM #29 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

The major areas on these maps look pretty much the same. So close in fact I did not even realize it was not current to Escape from the Pit (I'm only a few hours in). I see now that some areas have different items listed.

Well it may not be current but I found it helpful, so others might too.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:34 PM #30 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

The outdoor maps will be relatively similar, but the in-game world map provides a similar level of precision if you just need help with geography or navigation.  The town and dungeon maps are going to be dramatically inaccurate in some cases.  It might be nice to have a more detailed world map created and linked to from this thread, but linking to maps for another game will cause a lot of confusion.

Citizen

• 20 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:04 PM #31 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
The outdoor maps will be relatively similar, but the in-game world map provides a similar level of precision if you just need help with geography or navigation.  The town and dungeon maps are going to be dramatically inaccurate in some cases.  It might be nice to have a more detailed world map created and linked to from this thread, but linking to maps for another game will cause a lot of confusion.

You are right there. Feel free to remove that post if you wish.

Catweasle Catweasle

Mercenary

• Member ID: 4,607
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:23 AM #32 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

For all who are looking for help, I have reworked my original hints pages for Avernum and have now nearly finished the walkthrough for AEP   (Avernum: Escape from the Pit)

demonslayer20001 demonslayer20001

New Arrival

• Member ID: 4,579
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:44 PM #33 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

the maps site for Avernum: Escape from the Pit is down! does any one know this?  site is back up seems server hickup

Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,187 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:32 AM #34 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I don't think there are maps made for AEFTP yet.

Dear Potato Dear Potato

Soldier

• Member ID: 9,496
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:15 AM #35 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I'm glad to see so much activity in these forums ^_^ I'm playing Avernum eftp right now and I've learned many useful things here.

I have a little doubt, though. The trait "Negotiator", as its explained here, implies that having 4 adds to the total %. Is that so or I just didn't understood it well?

Also, when I "buy" negotiator for one particular character, does that mean that only the character would benefit from the extra 10% when selling? (what I mean is: do I need to switch to that character to sell things with the extra 10%?)

Thank you! And I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to make such inquiries.
Me gustan más las personas que los principios, y lo que más me gusta en este mundo son las personas sin principios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users