Playing as Anama sucks donkeyhole

I decided to give Avernum 3 another spin, trying a different approach. I've never been very fond of Anama idealogy, but was curious as to how the gameplay differed if you were a member. So I decided to role play as a band of 'holy' Anama fearing the bad mojo, doing only good deeds, not taking anything with a NY symbol, etc. I'm rushing to complete the plagues instead of dilly dallying, because every day means more innocents succumbing to ravaging monsters

A three person party was created. One warrior slith with divinely touched, one warrior/thief/priest nephil with elite warrior and nimble fingers, and a pure human cleric with natural mage (for the boost to spell). Only three PC's were created because I didn't feel the need for a 4th member, and to offset the XP penalty from the traits (a strategy which has worked very well!).

At first I thought that the greatest difficult in the game would be dealing with locked doors and force barriers, but this actually wasn't such a problem. The Anama provides you with unlimited cheap piercing crystals that dispelling barriers is never a problem. And my nephil has a high tool use, which opens any door (and also has the bonus of disarming all those nasty traps for a minor XP bonus). Carrying around lamps for light is rather inconvenient, though.

However, the game really falls down for clerics, and Anama members, in many aspects.

Not being able to invest in Mage Spells really hurts. Obviously one reason is because you can't cast mage spells. But even worse, the number of spell points you have as a pure cleric pales in comparison to a mage/priest hybrid.

Another problem: If you join the Anama, you have access to two powerful level 3 spell books early in the game: Divine Fire and Divine Restoration. Good, right? Think again. The fact that the Anama doesn't make Lvl 1/2 of these spells available for purchase on Shayder means that you have to purchase them up at Sharamik (Divine Fire), or Gale (Divine Restoration). So the notion that you are getting two awesome spells at lvl 3 early on in Shayder is rather deceptive, because you still need to travel to Sharamik/Gale first.

Compare this to Exile 3, where Anama members could access powerful spells such as 'Avatar' and 'Divine thud' immediately.

It's also difficult to deal good damage for low cost. You'd think that Smite would be the equivalent of Ice Lances, but there's one slight problem. While Lvl 3 is available for Ice Lances very early on in the game, Lvl 3 for Smite is located at the end of the game. Yeah, that's right. By the time you obtain Smite at Lvl 3, you probably don't need it.

Also note that the only Priest Spell that causes significant damage against demons, Repel Spirit Lvl 3, is also only available late in the game.

This is perhaps the biggest difference between mage and priest spells. All the good lvl 3 mage spells are easy to find, while the crap spells are difficult to find (Spray Acid, Summon Aid). On the other hand, all the crap lvl 3 priest spells are easy to locate, whereas the necessary priest spells are at the ass end of Valorim.

Another real pain is that the Haste granted by War Blessing has a really short duration, which is only granted at Lvl 3. Even worse, this Lvl 3 is only provided from a Stone Circle. Why couldn't Jeff have made it so that Anama members had access to War Blessing Lvl 3, instead of Divine Restoration, which you only get late in the game anyway?

Terror just blows, it's so unpredictable as to whether it will work or not. Even Forcecage has more use than it.

I'm up to the golems at the moment, and having a hell of a time. Mages have so many spells which deal different sorts of damage, whereas priests are stuck with Divine Fire, a weak Smite, and Divine Retribution (which doesn't work against non-living foes, sigh). Oh well, at least I'll be able to rip through the Alien Beasts.

And just as an afterthought, how on earth is Divine Fire less damaging than a Fireball spell? Bloody Anama hypocrites!

Anama are priest warriors. Spells are primarily to heal and buff with damage mostly from weapons. It takes a different set of tactics from those nice multi-target mage spells that blow away armies of foes.

Besides as you play Avernum 5 you find that Jeff believes joining the Anama is leaving the path of sanity. It's a challenge game.

Randomizer:

Quote:

Spells are primarily to heal and buff

Magery provides buffing spells that are at least equal to those of priests. Arcane Shield and Haste vs. Battle Rage and Radiant Shield.

And I'm well aware that mages are the masters of multi-damage spells. That still doesn't justify why the Lvl 3 versions of 'Smite' and 'Repel Spirit' (lower tier spells) are available so late in the game, while all of the multi-target lower tier spells for Mages are available so early. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't bother with the Anama at all, save for buying a set of rings.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
I'd much rather join the Church of the Divine Lucre. tongue

...but they don't teach you Divine Thud anymore. frown

I miss it too. Great amount of damage, and bar none the coolest name for a spell, ever. I still join the Church of the Divine Lucre, however, if only to say I can still afford it.