What? NO!

I just got an email announcing the coming release of Genefoge 5 ( laugh YEY, yes yes yes laugh ) - but the message says it's the FINAL game of the series.

Final game? How can Geneforge have a final game? cry Nooooooooooooooooo! cry

How do we stop this disaster from curtailing the series? Will a simple bribe to Spiderweb do it, or should we start looking for a suitable sacrifice? Quick - this is So not good!

Originally Posted By: Brock The Archmage
I'm hoping I'll run into him on one of these occasions when I'm up there.... That would be so awesome.... It would be on par with meeting George Lucas....sweet!

As for the bookishness....yeah, this area is like that for quite a few people. Not all of course.

La moitié de Seattle est un désert, pas un endroit abondant.

Un désert géant a rempli de veuves noires

Surely there is no need to try to constantly force french on people who would rather use english to communicate on these boards?

As to the original subject: The story of Geneforge and the madness caused by it's powers has been an interesting one to follow, but I would rather see a defining *final* game of the series now, than have to witness the degrading of the series due to a neverending flow of forced sequels of sequels. smile

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Vergil
Sauf que dans Final Fantasy, ils ont une course entière qui se compose entièrement des équipements maigre habillés ! Toute la femelle aussi ! Et je n'ai pas vu Final Fantasy en français.

Final Fantasy is hitler in hiding on a female toliet in france???

Would you just speak english for the good lords sake. Really, I cant understand a thing you say. We don't speak french here in New York

As for the topic, I think it would of been better to have 6 Geneforges. That way it could be divided into to haves "The birth of the revoulution" and "The Terrestian Rebllion"
But 5 is still a good number to end a serious

Originally Posted By: Dragonlorddrakon
Sauf que dans Final Fantasy, ils ont une course entière qui se compose entièrement des équipements maigre habillés ! Toute la femelle aussi ! Et je n'ai pas vu Final Fantasy en français.

I cant understand a thing you say.

Exactly.

Je dis N'IMPORTE QUOI en français sans des répercussions.

I meant no offense, it's just that I haven't seen any true originality in the series since the Windows 95 operating system was brand-new. I've never seen Final Fantasy in French either, but I think I saw one of them in Japanese once; it was for a SNES emulator.

Come to think it, when you see the title, "Final Fantasy"... It kind of implies that the first game in the series is also the last game in the series.confused

Quote:
Come to think it, when you see the title, "Final Fantasy"... It kind of implies that the first game in the series is also the last game in the series.confused

That title came about because the first game was expected to be the last game (the company was going under.) For reasons I have yet to figure out, it became a major hit and revitalized the career of its maker. Though at least in my opinion, the series itself didn't get to be worth playing till around V (IV if you're generous and willing to put up with religious blather, II if you're really, really bored and willing to put up with blatant plot theft from Star Wars.) Then again, the argument could be made that it's not really a series so much as a generic term for RPGs made by Squaresoft, as they all but admitted by calling X's direct sequel X-2.

Originally Posted By: feo takahari
That title came about because the first game was expected to be the last game (the company was going under.) For reasons I have yet to figure out, it became a major hit and revitalized the career of its maker.

The history of Japanese console RPGs is pretty interesting, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Basically, it all started when Wizardry came out in Japan. Now, Wizardry was a dungeon crawler with a paper-thin plot and a lot of goofy in-jokes -- but the jokes were mostly lost in translation, and the game was hugely popular anyway. There are a few reasons why Wizardry was successful in Japan: for one thing, remember that generic high fantasy tropes and monsters were not so generic for an audience not steeped in European culture, so it got credit for being more original than it really was.

Pretty much all of the early JRPGs, including Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, were imitations of Wizardry to some degree, with gameplay simplified to make them a bit less inaccessible to casual players (because let's face it, Wizardry is hard, even compared to Final Fantasy 1). At the time, Final Fantasy's plot was more complex than most and its graphics were pretty decent too, which was enough to make it stand out from the crowd. Remember, this is an era where the idea of towns being full of people you could actually talk to, instead of just random encounters and a handful of shopkeepers, was still new and exciting.

Quote:
Though at least in my opinion, the series itself didn't get to be worth playing till around V (IV if you're generous and willing to put up with religious blather, II if you're really, really bored and willing to put up with blatant plot theft from Star Wars.)

I don't remember any religious blather in Final Fantasy IV... certainly not more so than in the average JRPG, where there's a fair chance you'll literally kill God by the end.

Quote:
Then again, the argument could be made that it's not really a series so much as a generic term for RPGs made by Squaresoft, as they all but admitted by calling X's direct sequel X-2.

Yeah, it's a brand rather than a series, really. Square's more "experimental" RPGs have always been more interesting to me than the FF series. Parasite Eve still holds a special place in my heart.

Originally Posted By: feo takahari
Quote:

That title came about because the first game was expected to be the last game (the company was going under.) For reasons I have yet to figure out, it became a major hit and revitalized the career of its maker.

That sort of makes sense. I was wondering about it.

I actually have a couple of "Final Fantasy" games on my computer, as ROM images for different emulators, and they're pretty good considering (by today's standards) their crude graphics.