Hi again

Welcome back!

Originally Posted By: MMXPERT
I was banned for suggesting spiderweb cracks to another member.
Yeah, I remember.

Allow me to give everyone some general advice for using cracks: Don't. Just don't. Not only are they illegal and a violation of the CoC, they're an excellent source of malware. Don't ask me how I know all this, I'm just sayin'.

There were some animated avatars that were really painful to the eyes. Nothing obscene, or anything; just flashing weirdly, or something. A lot of people complained, and the mods made the offenders revert to static avatars.

I remember somebody had one that included a little fly, that sat still for a while but then took off and buzzed around, in an endless loop. It was really cool the first time you saw it, but after several days it was quite irritating the way that fly's sudden motion would constantly snatch your eye, if that member had posted anything in the thread you were trying to read.

It was that sort of thing. Innocent enough but just too much.

It's fine to use a gif as long as it's not animated.

—Alorael, who considers the spotty enforcement on this one something of a non-issue. If your animated avatar is innocuous enough not to draw attention, it doesn't really need to be removed. But for consistency it should be anyway.

Originally Posted By: MMXPERT

Greetings people of Spiderwebia, I have returned!

Good to have you back; I'd thought you'd left this place forever. tongue

You know that NW is doing a Geneforge-inspired forum RP now ?

And I wanted to play a Super Contra multiplayer with you ever since you mentioned that you frequent a russian server, but neither of my NES emulators (fceu and NESten) seem to support games between multiple computers.

Originally Posted By: Future Wonderbolt
But remember...there's amazing new advances in the field of web animation. APNGs are pretty well-supported and even animated SVG is starting to become supported.

And that's why the CoC doesn't say anything about gifs at all. I think the blanket "please avoid distracting animated avatars" covers all cases quite well.

—Alorael, who also does not support the use of exceptionally distracting static avatars. No obnoxious optical illusions, please.

While the binary joke is indeed old, it has a subtle flavor that is enticing to technophiles. I am also fond of Randomizers referent to Robert Asprin's series beginning with Hit or Myth. That series was the inspiration behind my recently posted Punnished Prose.

I suppose Robert Heinlein is not as well known now as he was when I in junior high. Still, sometimes I feel like a Stranger in a Strange Land.

And as for your signature, Actaeon, I believe I have stated that of all my courses in high school, Latin ranked primus. Color me envious that I didn't think of it first. Alas, I am only a pitiful purveyor of puns.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
What if the glass were exactly half vacuum, but the vacuum was distributed in microscopic pockets throughout the liquid?

Isn't that basically what cavitation is? It seems like the result is that you end up with a lot of very small but surprisingly powerful implosions.