special characters

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε

Hey, guys.

Please don't overuse the ability to put special characters in your PDN. That's the kind of thing that will convince the admins to turn it off.

This isn't a specific comment about anyone's PDN, I'm just saying if everyone starts doing this, it'll get old quick.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
(Edit: several of the symbols I originally typed as examples don't show up... thus leading me to conclude that this would be a privilege accorded to the elite.)

You can use HTML in PDNs but not in posts (unless you ask a mod really nicely to turn on HTML in an individual post for some valid reason and they agree). No, it doesn't make a great deal of sense.

The fact that most special characters use HTML coding is why it becomes relatively easy to exceed the PDN length, as you can see when you quote someone using special characters in their PDNs.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
You can use HTML in PDNs but not in posts (unless you ask a mod really nicely to turn on HTML in an individual post for some valid reason and they agree). No, it doesn't make a great deal of sense.

More precisely, you can use HTML entities in PDNs, but you can't use HTML tags. And I was so looking forward to having an italicised username, too.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
If I recall correctly, Ed used & as his PDN at one time.

that is oddly appropriate for reasons that only imban will get

was it some pun on "banned"?

Originally Posted By: ĐªŔŦĦ ËRNIË
did you know that if you try to replace all your letters with special characters you get a message saying invalid name length?

That's because your name is actually stored in the database as the string in this quote box.

Each non-ASCII character is therefore the equivalent of 6-7 ASCII characters.

Originally Posted By: Aʀᴀɴ
Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
If I recall correctly, Ed used & as his PDN at one time.

that is oddly appropriate for reasons that only imban will get

was it some pun on "banned"?

It certainly looks like one to me. This is truly a foreboding omen. wink

Originally Posted By: Trenton the Troll.
Found the two symbols that I used after my name once= ҉ ≈

EDIT: Didn't know it wouldn't work...That sucks.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

You can use HTML in PDNs but not in posts (unless you ask a mod really nicely to turn on HTML in an individual post for some valid reason and they agree).

Some old Angb& player here should try to be @.

Actually I guess we should believe that everyone is @, even though (if that's true) each of us only knows that we ourselves are @.

I think this was first enunciated by Immanuel K&. But I'm not sure. He's notoriously hard to underst&.

Sigh. This does get old f*.

According to legend at least, the Bodleian library at Oxford kept all its non-family-friendly books (somebody's gotta study that stuff) in a section labelled phi. I guess that by the time you take the intersection between Oxford humor, and librarian humor, you're just not going to do much better than that.