By popular demand--a covers thread

Soul of Wit

A separate thread to discuss covers of other artist's music. All genres and general thoughts on covers are welcome.

As a possibly controversial starter, five Beatles covers that I particularly enjoy...

"Got To Get You into My Life" - Earth, Wind & Fire (one of my favorite Beatles tracks, and the EW&F treatment is a valid tribute--many a EW&F fan has no idea that this is a Beatles song)

"Here Comes the Sun" - Richie Havens (it's tough to compete with perfection, but the guitar work and soulful voice make this a gem in its own right)

"Dear Prudence" - Siouxsie & The Banshees (somehow, the same slow tempo and psychedelic trappings sound different in the '80s)

"Two of Us" - Aimee Mann & Michael Penn (a perfect track to be covered by the singer/songwriter couple)

And saving the best for last...

"T.N.K. (Tomorrow Never Knows)" - 801 (801 was a short-lived side project for Phil Manzanera, Brian Eno, et al.)

audio on YouTube

My attitude towards Beatles covers is that their music can stand up to any cover, good or bad. I might as well explore the wide breadth of covers available. For covers, in general, I feel that influential artists should be covered. That's one of the (lesser) ways that they are influential. Imitation (or variations, or even--gasp--sampling) is flattery.

My favorite cover song is "Float On" by Ben Lee, originally by Modest Mouse.

I think that cover songs should differ from the original version. They shouldn't be so much a cover that tries to match the original, but instead a reimagination of the song, perhaps in an entirely new genre. Otherwise, why bother listening to the cover song?

Ben Lee is a good one to check out for singer/songwriter fans. I just checked, and his MM cover is his second most popular song on Spotify.

Generally agreed on covers, Goldenking. Some genres are so broad that two artists can technically be in the same genre but be miles apart. Once in a while, someone manages to pull off a "faithful" cover that adds something to the original. Often, this is simply a superior voice. I could always argue that the singer/songwriter with the barely passable voice is still better. Perhaps because their so-so voice (or "acquired taste" voice) adds flavor to the song. I'm thinking of much of Bob Dylan's singing here, but there are other examples.

Off the top of my head (Original artist in parentheses):

Led Zeppelin - "When the Levee Breaks" (Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy)

Peter, Paul, and Mary - "Blowin' in the Wind" (Bob Dylan)

The Byrds - "Turn! Turn! Turn!" (Pete Seeger)

Johnny Cash - "Hurt" (Nine Inch Nails)

Jimi Hendrix - "All Along the Watchtower" (Bob Dylan)

Kingston Trio - "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" (Pete Seeger)

The Beatles - "Twist and Shout" (Phil Medley and Bert Russel)

A few more (showing my age I am afraid):

Elvis Presley - "Hound Dog" (Big Mama Thornton)

Janis Joplin - "Ball and Chain" (Big Mama Thornton)

Janis Joplin - "Me and Bobby McGee" (Roger Miller)

Marvin Gaye/Gladys Knight and the Pips - "Heard it through the grapevine" (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles)

The Platters - "Smoke gets in your eyes" (Gertrude Niesen)

Talking Heads - "Take me to the river" (Al Green)

Originally Posted By: darint

Elvis Presley - "Hound Dog" (Big Mama Thornton)

Janis Joplin - "Me and Bobby McGee" (Roger Miller)

Marvin Gaye/Gladys Knight and the Pips - "Heard it through the grapevine" (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles)

Talking Heads - "Take me to the river" (Al Green)

Originally Posted By: Excalibur

Led Zeppelin - "When the Levee Breaks" (Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy)

The Byrds - "Turn! Turn! Turn!" (Pete Seeger)

Jimi Hendrix - "All Along the Watchtower" (Bob Dylan)

The Beatles - "Twist and Shout" (Phil Medley and Bert Russel)

Not much controversy with these. Many of them were made famous in their cover form, and in some cases (All Along the Watchtower, for instance), the originals sound a bit hollow to those that heard the cover first.

(Edit: I actually heard CCR's "Heard it Through the Grapevine" before either Gaye's cover or the original. Without Fogerty, they BOTH sound a bit weak.)

Yeah, I could have included CCR in "Heard it through the grapevine", but it seemed too many artists and it is the version I like the least. If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favor and at least listen to Gladys Knight and the Pips' version. It is a lot different than the others and really rocks.

And speaking of CCR:

Nina Simone/CCR - "I put a spell on you" (Screaming Jay Hawkins)

And another trio I just remembered:

Bill Haley and the Comets/Elvis Presley - "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" (Big Joe Turner)

Although for this last, I actually like the original best by far, with Presley's take a distant second. (The same goes for "Ball and Chain")

There's plenty of room for taste with covers, too. I don't like Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" as he replaced the industrial, quiet-noise elements that have always seemed to me to be the most powerful part of the song, and replaced them with a more conventional instrumentation. On the other hand, Trent Reznor famously said that he liked Cash's version better than his own. There's no accounting for taste, I guess. Here are some covers that I like -- and we'll take Trent as a starting point:

Nine Inch Nails -

(Queen) - a hugely improved arrangement from the original

Devo -

(Nine Inch Nails) - in my mind pretty much the definitive Devo recording, for what that may or may not be worth

Schneider TM vs. Kpt. Michi.gan -

- (cover of "There is a Light" by the Smiths)

David Bowie -

(The Pixies)

The Pixies -

(The Jesus and Mary Chain)

Ciccone Youth AKA Sonic Youth - "Addicted to Love" (Robert Palmer)

In the "makes you twist your brain a little" category:

Bigod 20 - "Like a Prayer" (Madonna)

Moog Cookbook -

(Weezer)

Scala Choir -

(The Divinyls)

Finally, here is the most atrocious cover I've ever seen:

Dionne Warwick - "Blowin' in the Wind" (Bob Dylan) - talk about missing the point entirely (note - you can hear a clip on the link without giving any info if you are slightly persistent)

Johnny Cash 'The Mercy Seat', (Nick Cave)

Joe Strummer 'Redemption Songs', (Bob Marley')

Pearl Jam 'Crazy Mary', (Victoria Williams)

B(if)tek 'Wired for Sound', (Cliff Richard)

Bruce Springsteen 'I Want You', (Bob Dylan)

Rage Against the Machine 'The Ghost of Tom Joad', (Bruce Springsteen)

There are so many great covers around and these are a few that come to mind. Aforementioned Richie Havens and EWaF covers are pretty awesome.

...und - Jose Gonzales cover of The Knife's 'Heartbeats' is a beautiful version of an outstanding track.

Originally Posted By: Slarty
Devo -
(Nine Inch Nails) - in my mind pretty much the definitive Devo recording, for what that may or may not be worth
Originally Posted By: Slarty
There's no accounting for taste, I guess.
:-P

My opinions on covers are pretty much identical to Goldenking's and others'. There are a few covers that I think are strictly better than the original, but for the most part, I just want to hear them do something new and interesting with the song.

A lot of mine have already been taken; I'll list a bunch more:

A.F.I. -
(
)

Apocalyptica and Nina Hagen - Seeman (Rammstein

Joan Baez -
(The Band)
(Both are
live,
.)

The Blues Brothers -
(
)

The Clash -
(
)

Jimmy Cliff -
(Johnny Nash)
(If you want to hear more Johnny Nash
)

Jimmy Cliff -
(
)

Cream - Crossroads (
; originally "Cross Road Blues")

Crooked Still -
(
)

Crooked Still -
(
)

Gary Jules -
(
)

The Glitch Mob -
(

(It seems everyone has a "Seven Nation Army" cover.)

The Headstones -
(The Traveling Wilburys)

Laibach -
(
)

Laibach -
(
)

Laibach -
(The Rolling Stones)

Madness -
(Prince Buster)

Madness -
(
)

Andy McKee -
(
)

Frank Sinatra -
(
)

Pete Tosh - Johnny B. Goode (
)

Pretty much everything on Raising Sand, but I've said that before. Does S&M count as the San Francisco Symphony covering Metallica?

I'm not sure what to think about groups that do nothing but produce covers. Someone posted Scala And Kolacny Brothers' version of "Creep" a while back. I was intrigued, but then I realized "Oh, all their songs sound like this." I've had the same experience with the Vitamin String Quartet. The only S&K song that really caught my attention was their cover of Rammstein's

EDIT: And now for something completely different:

The S&K songs that caught my attention were The Beautiful People (Manson) and Black Horse and a Cherry Tree (K.T. Tunstall). The rest tends to bore me, especially since the conductor acts so over the top it's a distraction from the performance.

Raising Sand is excellent, and I'm glad you pointed out Nina Hagen's version of Seemann - that's an excellent song.

No, S&M doesn't count. tongue Like Jim says, it's still Metallica.

Melanie Safka's cover of anything is almost always superior to the original. Ruby Tuesday (especially her 90's version which I'm seemingly incapable of finding...) blows away the Rolling Stone's version by a thousand times;

has ten times the passion that Ronstadt's ever did. I'm So Blue, Detroit or Buffalo,
- all beautiful, beautiful songs.

Richie Havens happens to do my single favourite version of

I've ever heard, though to be fair, I've never heard a bad version of it.

I love both Rammstein's version of

, as well as the
of it. And on that subject, I also love the Gregorian version of
, as well as
version of the same song.

Still on the subject of Rammstein, Mina Harker's version of

is pretty great, even if I'm not a *huge* fan of Laibach's bits.

I love Erasure's covers of Abba, the winners being

and

I've also been listening to a *lot* of cello covers lately (not really counting Apocalyptica here, 'cause while I love the idea most of their stuff is largely forgettable). Some favourites have been Smooth Criminal, Welcome to the Jungle,

, this INCREDIBLE version of
done in Swahili,
, and

...but while I'm on the topic of cellos...I may as well start bringing up some excellent Zelda covers, since Zelda is my favourite series of all time and the music has indelibly affected my life. So experience:

, Cello Ensemble

on wine glasses

on beer bottles

I think I'll stop now. I tend to overpost when it comes to music.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
The Clash -
(
)

My much older sister (cough) had the original on a vinyl 45. I love both the original and the cover.

Jimmy Cliff -
(Johnny Nash)
(If you want to hear more Johnny Nash
)

Jimmy Cliff's signature vocal performance:
and the
, from a '70s reunion of The Animals.

Pete Tosh - Johnny B. Goode (
)

I see what you did there. Personal trivia: My wedding date is the date that Marty goes back to when he goes back to the future.

I'm not sure what to think about groups that do nothing but produce covers. Someone posted Scala And Kolacny Brothers' version of "Creep" a while back. I was intrigued, but then I realized "Oh, all their songs sound like this." I've had the same experience with the Vitamin String Quartet. The only S&K song that really caught my attention was their cover of Rammstein's

That someone would be me. There are good cover bands, just as there are--apparently--good cover choirs. That's the point. Most people can find a choir version of a song that intrigues them.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Off the top of my head (Original artist in parentheses): ... Johnny Cash - "Hurt" (Nine Inch Nails) ...

My wife isn't particularly a fan of either artist, but she loves this cover. The man in black had a late career as an artist covering a wide variety of genres. In turn, here's a cover of a Cash classic, by an artist best known for

Wall of Voodoo, covering
. There's an intro, followed by the cover at about :50 into the video.

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
... The Pixies -
(The Jesus and Mary Chain) ...

Great list, Slarty. I never even think about the original version of "Head On". I suppose that is high praise for The Pixies.

I love both versions for different reasons and go back and forth as to which I prefer. It took me longer to appreciate the original, though. The Pixies' version is aided by its rather juicy placement on Trompe Le Monde, which I still consider to be one of the best rock albums of all time.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
I like covers that are done on the spot-ish. I also like David Fords raspy voice so I tend to enjoy his fun covers.

(starts at :45)

I'm always on the hunt for covers of "Under Pressure". Thanks for adding this amusing one to my collection. One of the most unique that I've found is...

OT: The series finale is full of the humor that this simple spy show is known for. Minimal spoilers ensue. A stalker/pervert network is utilized to crowd-source a missing person location. A frankfurter-themed fictional fast food franchise is featured (I've been saving that one.) There is blatant product placement for both an automobile make and a well-known sandwich chain. European taste in US music is mocked openly. It even had a pro-Chicago message, for those forum members so inclined. Romantic, semi-comedic montage and roll credits.

Originally Posted By: Yuna Corne
on wine glasses
Yeah, I've seen that one before. Epic.
Originally Posted By: Yuna Corne
on beer bottles
Yikes. Just when I thought it was safe to say I've seen and heard everything..........Cool video, though.

Another good Zelda cover:
on marimba.

And now, I'll sit back and listen to
By Weird Al Yankovic, and have some
courtesy of the Muppets' Swedish Chef. grin

Holy crap, Mystic… I mean… wow…

A couple more good ones.

Can't go wrong with Blind Guardian.

Mr. Sandman (The Chordettes)

Dream a Little Dream of Me (Ozzie Nelson, I think?)

A newish power metal band called Enbound did this. This is actually pretty awesome.

(Michael Jackson)

And then there's this horrible little thing Children of Bodom did to a horrible little song. Kinda comical though.

(Britney Spears)

I listened to that second link, and then a related link, but done with a hard drive instead.

I couldn't finish. Worse than nails on a chalkboard. Seriously, making music out of head crashes? Not for me.

It doesn't help that the floppy drives sound good, while the hard disks sound like, well, crashes.

—Alorael, who is a fan of the many songs made out of Windows sounds effects. Apple doesn't provide nearly the number or variety of sounds that Windows does, so the Mac side of the default sound songs is lacking.

Originally Posted By: Take the Word by storm.
—Alorael, who is a fan of the many songs made out of Windows sounds effects. Apple doesn't provide nearly the number or variety of sounds that Windows does, so the Mac side of the default sound songs is lacking.

I used to alter all of the Mac's default sounds, and add sounds where none were provided (nor needed.) I want to say that this was circa System 6 or 7, which narrows it down to the late '80s to late '90s. I must have had considerably more free time than I do now.

EDIT: Definitely pre-1995. That's about when the WWW took off, along with a game series. I think it was called Exile, or something like that.

Originally Posted By: aka Ravenwing
Holy crap, Mystic… I mean… wow…
Thanks. That's one of the subtle joys of random browsing. wink

Originally Posted By: aka Ravenwing
A newish power metal band called Enbound did this. This is actually pretty awesome.
(Michael Jackson)
I think it's good too, and I don't care for metal. Also, while listening to it, I kept hearing
in my head; maybe I need to get away from Weird Al for a while. tongue

• 2 weeks later...

I realy like this cover of Animal Collective's

On the flip side of that, I really liked Animal Collectives cover of Nirvana's

Panic At the Disco's cover of

from the musical "Little Shop of Horror" is also pretty good

Reel big fish did a nice cover of Hungry like the wolf , although I must admit I've never heard the original.

I prefer the original, but Andrew Jackson Jihad did a really nice cover of NMH's

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
(this guy makes a lot of amazing arrangements for guitar, though his playing is a little sloppy)
Let me add to that the

I also found the original Zelda theme done on
, and another one on something called a
. One word of caution: The sound from these two videos (especially the Tesla one) may be a bit hard on the ears.

• 2 weeks later...

Cash does some solid covers. The local radio station played his version of "Heart of Gold" a few days ago, and I was caught between cracking up and listening raptly.

(His "Bridge over Troubled Water" is better than Elvis's, but not really my cup of tea.)

Edit: http://www.coversproject.com/artist/johnny%20cash/