New Here[G5]

Pyrrhus

Welcome to Spiderweb! Leave your sanity at the door.

You want an image hosting service. ImageShack is a pretty standard one, and it's fairly self-explanatory from the site.

—Alorael, who has noticed that he no longer has a copy of his own avatar. If he loses his link, as happens on occasion, he'll be in trouble. Time for a backup!

I need some help with my avatar. I have an 80x80 pixel picture on ImageShack. I take the option of "URL for forums" and I get the code for my picture. It is shown here, so obviously I have a legitimate URL.

80exoticanimalavatar015.th.jpg

When I paste that URL into the slot on my profile page and click "Submit" I get an error message saying "Invalid picture type."

There is a second URL for forums which does the exact same thing.

Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: Painted Lady
I need some help with my avatar. I have an 80x80 pixel picture on ImageShack. I take the option of "URL for forums" and I get the code for my picture. It is shown here, so obviously I have a legitimate URL.
80exoticanimalavatar015.th.jpg

When I paste that URL into the slot on my profile page and click "Submit" I get an error message saying "Invalid picture type."

There is a second URL for forums which does the exact same thing.

Any ideas?

Don't use the URL for Forums. Use the Direct Link option. The boards need to have a direct link to the image you want to use as an avatar.

To expand on that a bit, image hosting services usually offer variations on the URL with formatting added for social networking, forums, so forth. They're all the same URL, just with various tags added to them. However, when you want/need to put in an image URL for avatars and such, you just need the plain unmodified URL.

The boards don't update everything immediately. There's some lag before all your old posts update with your new displayed name and new post count whenever you change your name or post. It's not a terribly long lag, but it does exist.

—Alorael, who is the expert on both changing names and changing post counts. And his margin of expertise by experience isn't terribly different for the two.

Originally Posted By: Alorael
It's not new. It's also not made by you, and it's familiar to everyone who's played Geneforge already.

It's also quite fuzzy, which knocks the appeal down a bit more. And... wait, how long ago did you resize your avatar, Alorael? (It's been ages and Dikiyoba just hasn't noticed, right?)

Originally Posted By: Trenton
You can't talk down to drakons, we can do all the crap you humans do! We have hands and feet and apposible thumbs and reproductive organs and heads!

Of course we can't talk down to drakons. Drakons are like twelve feet tall.

(Twelve feet is a guess. Dikiyoba did a quick search and couldn't actually find the exact height of the average drakon. All Dikiyoba found for measurement is that they have claws the length of a human forearm. But that doesn't necessarily mean much; they could be only eight feet tall but built like Therizinosaurus.)

Originally Posted By: Micawber
Quote:
If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you tickle us, do we not laugh?
If you poison us, do we not die?
And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?

This seems appropriate for the Drakons somehow.

I wouldn't be volunteering to tickle one though.

I'm not sure tickling works through scales.

—Alorael, who also isn't so convinced that drakons bleed. Is there evidence for that? Yes, they leave bloodstains when killed, but that might be some kind of death-triggered transmutation. At least there's solid combat evidence of death by poison.

Originally Posted By: Pyrrhus
I think that we should all go and tickle some drakons...

~Pyrrhus tickles the fat grey thing called Trenton.... Awwww he is a cute puppy

*Trenton the drakon is not amused at being called a fat grey thing. So he sends some Un-bound ones Pyrrhus's way smirk *

Anywho, I always pictured a thahd at eight feet, a battle alpha at nine, and a drakon somewhere at 11-15 <.<

The artwork seems to vary a bit, but generally: thahds seem about human height but broader. Alphas are a little taller, maybe seven feet. Drakons and tralls seem somewhere in the ten to twelve feet range.

The one type of creation whose size remains really obscure to me is the glaahk. They're pretty tough front line fighters, so presumably they're not much smaller than humans, but they could be the same size, or bigger.

I actually can't remember the physical descriptions, although I'm sure they're most detailed in G1. My impression is that they're only slightly shorter than humans if they're shorter at all, probably no less than five feet on average. And they certainly seem hunched, but that might be a standard obsequious posture.

—Alorael, who would like to imagine that serviles actually have telescoping bones and change size so that they're always just slightly smaller than their overlords.

Originally Posted By: Astral Cupholder
—Alorael, who would like to imagine that serviles actually have telescoping bones and change size so that they're always just slightly smaller than their overlords.

Until they are ready for all-out rebellion and shift to full size, shedding their humaniform skin and becoming ... UNBOUND SERVILES!!

Originally Posted By: Alorael
My impression is that they're only slightly shorter than humans if they're shorter at all, probably no less than five feet on average.

There's a great line in either G1 or G2 about an exceptionally tall, imposing servile warrior who comes all the way up to the PC's shoulders, so their average height is probably like four feet.

Of course, the average height could vary. The Shapers developed multiple races, and we know intelligence and stockiness varied between the servile types, so height might vary between the types as well. If the quote was from G1, then we know that PC was only familiar with the slender indoor, bookkeeping type(s) and has no knowledge of the heavily-built servile type(s) used for mining and other hard labor.

Dikiyoba.

I think it sucks that they took away geneforge one and three shaper graphics.

Geneforge ones was awesome. You get two creased red,blue,green or other colored eyes in a dark hood and robe, so it was creepy.

Geneforge 3's robes were nice and flowing. I liked them

Geneforge 4-5 I didn't like lifecrafters. You can see their long hairy legs!

Originally Posted By: Trenton
Do the have different stats than the rebel graphics?

In theory, no. In reality... there's a bug that gives the three shaper classes a large defensive bonus to various forms of damage, which makes them better than the three corresponding rebel classes (warrior, lifecrafter, infiltrator).

Dikiyoba.

They're the same in skills, but it's a pretty substantial resistance bonus. The guardian also gets a hefty bonus to starting essence, I believe, but it's balanced by slightly slower essence gain.

—Alorael, who would still take the guardian over the warrior. You get a nicer sprite and better resistances for tanking.