Favorite/Least Favorite Towns/Cities?

BainIhrno

You may or may not know, based on how much you've chatted with me, that I like travelling quite a bit. I'm curious as to where you've been. Don't have many cities, as I've only started seeing the USA since 2008 and can't travel all the time

Favorites

Myrtle Beach, SC - A nice small town, with friendly people and quite a bit to do, as well as great restaurants.

Minneapolis, MN - Great city, lots of fun attractions (even though the Water Park of America wasn't that good), and good food.

Madison, WI - Also a great town, smaller, but nice to look around.

Phoenix, AZ - While it was a very sprawled city, it had interesting flora and fun things to do.

So-So

Orlando, FL - fun attractions, but sprawled and very expensive. It does contain Aquatica, maybe in my opinion the best water park. I haven't been to Disney much, though, because of the high costs.

Dislike

New York, NY - I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought the place is old, ugly, and crowded. There's stuff to do, but the 'unique' stuff doesn't interest me that much.

Erie, PA - The downtown is old and looks ugly, and the rest of the place is just lots of commercial, and there's very little to actually do. They do have a good water park though.

Least Favorites

Southampton, NY - dull and uninteresting, and seemed really old.

----

Yeah, I personally don't care much for these older cities. I've also been to Washington DC, Philadelphia PA, Louisville, KY and Charlotte, NC but for the first two it's been when I was kid/teen, and for the latter two, I didn't really go into the cities. I'm hoping to go to DC next summer on my own.

What places do you like/dislike?

Favourites

Great Barrington, MA – Not a ton of things to actually do, but it's beautiful and has some of the best restaurants I've ever been to.

Woodstock, CT – This is mainly for prettiness and because the best goats in the world(in my very biased opinion) live here. Also, I'm convinced time works differently here.

Québec City, Québec – This was the best city to just get lost in.

Boston, MA – The symphony is great, and I've generally had a good time on my über-short visits. The roads(not the drivers) confuse me though. Can anyone explain the single lane road, orphaned sidewalk, 4 lane road, orphaned sidewalk, single lane road thing to me?

New York, NY – It's really overwhelming and I don't see it as pretty(also, Times Square is awful), but I've gone to it often enough and had a good enough time there every time that I probably don't dislike it.

Athens, GA – I went there when my cousin got married, and outside the hall, these two guys had randomly dressed up as a butterfly and a butterfly catcher and chased each other around. Any place where that happens earns points.

Carlisle, PA – I get to play spot-the-rocker and get free food. It doesn't get into favourites cause it's in the middle of nowhere. tongue

So-so

Indianpolis, IN – I wasn't overly fond of Indianapolis but it has an awesome children's museum.

Washington DC – It's okay, but I haven't seen anything to really win me over.

Annapolis, MD – The harbour is nice to walk around, but other than that I find it a bit dull.

Dislike

Baltimore, MD – This is an awful city.

Chicago, IL - It's where I grew up and there's plenty to do there from museums, parks, sports, food, entertainment.

Dislike

Phoenix, AZ - Where I am now. It's hot. sprawled out, public transportation is horrible, and the drivers are insane. Examples of extremely bad driving are shaving while driving and using the steering wheel as a writing surface to fill in a large sheet of paper because someone can't park to write.

FAVORITES

Chicago, IL

Oxford, UK

San Francisco, CA

Ann Arbor, MI

London, UK

SO-SO

Oakland, CA

Madison, WI

Boston, MA

New York, NY

New Haven, CT

Manchester, NH

DISLIKE

Indianapolis, IN

Cleveland, OH

LEAST FAVORITE

Charleston, WV

Carlisle, PA

Washington, DC

Los Angeles, CA

Originally Posted By: Nicothodes
Boston, MA – The symphony is great, and I've generally had a good time on my über-short visits. The roads(not the drivers) confuse me though. Can anyone explain the single lane road, orphaned sidewalk, 4 lane road, orphaned sidewalk, single lane road thing to me?

I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but the answer is either:

- They wanted to run the T above ground, but didn't want to slow it down by putting it directly into traffic (as they have done elsewhere)
- They wanted to allow high speeds on a major transportation artery that also has numerous side streets and residential parking; the two single lane roads help with the turns and parking.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S

LEAST FAVORITE
Carlisle, PA
You're never going to let that parking ticket go, are you? tongue

if thats why he hates it, I fully agree with him.
i have on occasion wished death and destruction on locales that hit me with a parking ticket. (actually mainly on alternate side parking tickets, but same subject)

I've pretty much been limited to the west coast.

Favorites

Seattle, WA

Chicago, IL

Reno, NV

Las Vegas, NV

Vancouver, BC

Portland, OR

Tacoma, WA

Bellingham, WA

So-So

Sacramento, CA

San Francisco, CA

Stockton, CA

Vancouver, WA

Ellensburg, WA

Yakima, WA

Dislike

Fresno, CA

San Jose, CA

Santa Cruz, CA

Modesto, CA

Tracy, CA

San Diego, CA

Phoenix, AZ

La Grande, OR

Ontario, OR

Least Favorites

Los Angeles, CA

Anaheim, CA

Bakersfield, CA

Oakland, CA

Antioch, CA

Nogales, AZ/Sonora, Mexico

An odd bunch. Let's see...

Favorites

Seattle, WA

Ann Arbor, MI

Boston, MA

San Francisco, CA

Washington, DC: The subway is lovely.

So-so

Berkeley, CA

Salt Lake City, UT

Annapolis, MD

St. Louis, MO

Dislike

Tampa, FL

Orlando, FL

New York, NY

Baltimore, MD

Chicago, IL

Least Favorites

Oakland, CA

Omaha, NE

Las Vegas, NV

—Alorael, who has no strong rationale for some of these. Sometimes just passing through made a positive or negative impression. He will say that he has an urban upper limit, and Chicago and NYC definitely exceed those. They're fun briefly, but he wouldn't want to spend long there. He's never been to LA, but from what he hears it would be similar but worse. Relatedly, good public transit is a cardinal virtue for cities. Being pedestrian and bike-friendly helps. (No comment on why having pedestrians is good...)

How can you guys spend enough time in all these cities to have an opinion on them?

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Dislike

Phoenix, AZ - Where I am now. It's hot. sprawled out, public transportation is horrible, and the drivers are insane.

Ditto for Prescott, AZ if you replace "hot" with "blatantly racist". Strong dislike (which means it sucks to be living in it for 2/3 of the year). In Oregon: Portland is okay, but I don't think I've ever been there alone and not gotten lost. Bend seems pretty fun. Lincoln City is always crowded with terrible trafficc, but I usually have to pass through it when I'm heading to the coast.

Dikiyoba.

This list is far from the definitive log of my travels, but I hope it will capture the highlights.

Favorites

Minneapolis, MN and St. Paul, MN - lots to do, lots to see, friendly feel to the Twin Cities. Love the baseball team, too.

Washington, DC - for tourists and history nerds, there's a lot to do. The Library of Congress is the most beautiful building I've ever seen

NOLA (New Orleans, LA) - best cuisine, music, and general culture I've seen. It's also steeped in history.

Strum, WI - small town, great pie place

Portland, OR - lots to do (including Powell's Bookstore), great cultural scene, but the visibility of poverty in the city saddens me

Milwaukee, WI - good-sized city with a good-sized history to it

Seattle, WA - see Portland

Boise, ID - friendly people, with a cultural atmosphere of being small and country while at the same time being a city

Walla Walla, WA - small city with a beautiful liberal arts college that helps drive a unique cultural feeling that other small cities wouldn't necessarily have

Monterrey, CA - smaller city, but so much to do. I was only there in the summer, though; it did have the appearance of a tourist town.

So-So

Chicago, IL - almost to like, but not quite. Great city, but it's so easy to take a wrong turn and then spend seven billion hours (that's a scientific figure) navigating slow-moving traffic to get to where you were trying to go

Palo Alto, CA - for hosting Stanford, the city did not seem that great. I got lost my fair share in this town.

Venice, FL - yes, it's Florida, so it's automatically got some prestige from its environment. Too rich and old, though.

Dislike

Grand Junction, CO - the town is poor and the streets have names like "G 3/4th Street". Both of these make me sad.

Atlanta, GA - when I visited, there was a crime spree going on, so I felt unsafe the whole time. Gave me a tainted view of the city.

Least Favorites

Geneseo, IL - small, boring, and unfortunate to get trapped in

Detroit Lakes, MN - any town that floods while I'm in it is not good

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Attention, everyone but Nico: New York does not like you, either.

But Dikiyoba hasn't even been there! Why is New York so mean?

Okay, I just called the mayor, and he agreed to move you to our so-so list until you come visit.

I haven't been many places, but heere it goes.

FAVOURITES:

Coolum Beach-QLD. It's got some of the nicest beaches and being in town nice, even if there isn't that much to do.

Caloundra-QlD. It's got some nice beaches and stuff, and a reasonable amount of stuff to do.

DISLIKES:

I am very not keen on going down to Melbourne or anywhere in Victoria for that matter. The majority of people I've met from there were either really annoying, or arrogant. Or both.

Originally Posted By: Cairo Jim
I am very not keen on going down to Melbourne or anywhere in Victoria for that matter. The majority of people I've met from there were either really annoying, or arrogant. Or both.

that is exactly why melbourne is the best city

actually it is the best city because i live there but it would be pretty good even if i didn't

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
FAVORITES
Oxford, UK

Yay!

FAVORITES

Oxford
Manchester
Paris

London
Shrewsbury
Salford
Baltimore, MD

SO-SO
Brighton
Plymouth

DISLIKE
Southampton

LEAST FAVORITE
Nottingham
Derby

That kind of makes it look like I'm really easy to please, but I'm not - I'm just neutral about most places. tongue

(Also, apart from Paris, and Baltimore (which I like mainly for the harbour), these are all English places.)

Goldenking: How in the world did you get lost in Palo Alto? It's not large, it's divided all over the place by easily recognizable major thoroughfares, even train tracks that run curvelessly through the entire peninsula for easy comparison, and there's lots of signage.

But I see someone suggested Shayder. Are we doing fictional cities, too? If so I could make a list something like this:

FAVORITE

Formello

Phlan

Nobilia

Minas Tirith

Abajan

Mysidia

Cantlin

Aitos

HomeTown

SO-SO

Stancia

Termina

Narshe

Misuto

DISLIKE

Fargabaad

Oracleberry

Rising

Fountain Head

Twoson

LEAST FAVORITE

Rabanastre

Yoshi's Island

Formello is nice for Avernum, but I'd still rather not live in a cave and live on mushrooms and lizard meat.

—Alorael, who also thinks the type of world and the mood of the setting says a lot. Anywhere in the Culture is paradise. Ptolus is full of horrors, but there are heroes to take care of the problem and it's not a bad place to live. Los Angeles is full of vampires and crime, and you really don't want to be there even if there are modern amenities; your only protection is more vampires.

One of my favorite fictional towns was Ebonheart, in Morrowind. Mabe Village in LoZ: Link's Awakening was a pleasant place, in its way. I enjoyed Lemuria in Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Oh, and Shadow Valley Fort is pretty cool too.

I'm there are other lovely fictional cities I've encountered, those are just a few that come to mind this morning.

Originally Posted By: BainIhrno
Would Formello improve for you if the Empire decided to have food trade agreements with Avernum?

Yes, but not so much that I'd live there by choice. It's still in a cave. And it's not the same as eating fresh things that require sunlight.

—Alorael, who would rather not live in an isolated tower even as a powerful mage unless he got portals to town with it. Isolation sounds great until you need groceries, or help rotating the crystals on your resonance engine, or want to meet someone for dinner.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
One of my favorite fictional towns was Ebonheart, in Morrowind. Mabe Village in LoZ: Link's Awakening was a pleasant place, in its way. I enjoyed Lemuria in Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Oh, and Shadow Valley Fort is pretty cool too.

I'm there are other lovely fictional cities I've encountered, those are just a few that come to mind this morning.

The Imperial City in Oblivion would actually be a beautiful place to live, if a bit small for the capital of the entire known world. It sucks that the house you can buy there is literally a shack on an island in the corner of the slums and not a gigantic mansion inside the city proper.