The Silly Sandwich Survey

Dikiyoba

I agree! While I can understand Wikipedia's opposition to becoming full of entirely non-notable and unverifiable things, such as pages about anyone who bothers to edit Wikipedia, I think they've been a little too conservative. There was, for example, a fight over whether many fairly small (and some rather large and noteworthy) webcomics should be included. Well, everyone can verify that they exist; by existing, they can be noted. Is there harm in including information about them?

—Alorael, whose dream is that, one day, there will be no yellow pages. There will be only Wikipedia, and everyone will be notable.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Also, while Dikiyoba is being picky, it's not really ironic to look up Godwin's Law on Wikipedia. It would be more ironic to look it up only to discover that the article has been deleted due to lack of notability.
The irony isn't that I looked it up on Wikipedia. The irony is that someone had just said that Wikipedia has an article for everything.

Also - did I start a monster? I think I'm going to walk away slowly.

...Isn't this supposed to be a sandwich survey? I've seen several topic changes in the General Forum before, but nobody's mentioned a sandwich on page 2 of this topic at all, and I'm pretty sure that sandwiches were the topic for less than half the posts on this topic. And considering the title has the word "sandwich" in it, some people might get confused if they skip ahead to read the latest surveys. Personally, I don't mind it too much - I haven't had a sandwich in a long time, anyhow - but it's still really vexing. Why is the General Forum, in particular, filled with so many topic changes? I would love an answer.

On topic, I personally wish wikipedia would stop linking so many articles on each article. Information is good, but if I need information on one specific topic, it's made harder by the temptation to look at other articles that are linked on the article I actually need information from.

Originally Posted By: Roentgenium
...Isn't this supposed to be a sandwich survey? I've seen several topic changes in the General Forum before, but nobody's mentioned a sandwich on page 2 of this topic at all, and I'm pretty sure that sandwiches were the topic for less than half the posts on this topic. And considering the title has the word "sandwich" in it, some people might get confused if they skip ahead to read the latest surveys. Personally, I don't mind it too much - I haven't had a sandwich in a long time, anyhow - but it's still really vexing. Why is the General Forum, in particular, filled with so many topic changes? I would love an answer.

probably because there is only so much one can say about sandwiches

Originally Posted By: Roentgenium
On topic, I personally wish wikipedia would stop linking so many articles on each article. Information is good, but if I need information on one specific topic, it's made harder by the temptation to look at other articles that are linked on the article I actually need information from.

But that's the best part of Wikipedia! Learning so much random information is what makes that site so much fun! I honestly love that one can go from any random article and get to the page on Hitler in <10 clicks. My average is about 5.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan

Very nice!

Originally Posted By: Triumph
So you're saying there are about 5 degrees of separation between Hitler and every topic in existence?

Between 5 and 10, yes.

And that only works since Wikipedia has an article for just about every topic in existence.

Originally Posted By: Sylae
Did you know that if you go to any page on Wikipedia and click the first link not in parentheses or italics and continue doing that, you'll eventually get to "Philosophy"?
This does not actually work. Philosophy is a common place to end up, but there are some equally common loops that will not take you there.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Did you know that if you go to any page on Wikipedia and click the first link not in parentheses or italics and continue doing that, you'll eventually get to "Philosophy"?
This does not actually work. Philosophy is a common place to end up, but there are some equally common loops that will not take you there.

In the immortal words of you, Slarty,
Originally Posted By: Slarty
Finally, care to share your crunching?
Please provide examples to support your outlandish claim! Are you calling xkcd out on a false claim? Preposterous!

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S

The article on science is one such loop: it goes Science -> Knowledge -> Description -> Rhetorical modes -> Expository writing -> Writing -> Text (literary theory) -> Literary theory -> Art -> Sense -> Physiology -> Science. You might expect it to hit philosophy at some point, but it never does.

I started with English language and got to philosophy, and Science was in there too. Description is the second link when I view the page for knowledge.

English Language -> West Germanic Language -> Germanic -> Indo-European -> Language Family -> Language -> Human -> Extant Taxon -> Biology -> Natural Science -> Science -> Knowledge -> Fact -> Information -> Order Theory -> Mathematics -> Quantity -> Property (philosophy) -> Modern Philosophy -> Philosophy

--Continues to play around with Wikipedia

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I started with English language and got to philosophy, and Science was in there too. Description is the second link when I view the page for knowledge.

English Language -> West Germanic Language -> Germanic -> Indo-European -> Language Family -> Language -> Human -> Extant Taxon -> Biology -> Natural Science -> Science -> Knowledge -> Fact -> Information -> Order Theory -> Mathematics -> Quantity -> Property (philosophy) -> Modern Philosophy -> Philosophy

--Continues to play around with Wikipedia

huh. i wonder if the order of the links has changed around or if i just misclicked