If you had to pick one Spiderweb game...

Occasional Steve

Originally Posted By: Occasional Steve
I've played the demos and have decided to buy the full version of one of these games. But money is somewhat tight and I don't know which one to choose, or if I'll buy a second. If you could only buy one Spiderweb game, which would it be?

It really depends on personal preferences; there is no universal best Spiderweb game. Answering a few of these questions will help to narrow your choices down...

Do you like dealing with the moral quandaries of Geneforge, the black and white morality of Avernum, or the political amorality of Avadon?

Does it matter how modern the engine and graphics are? Do you have any technical issues that may come with getting a game that's too old or new?

Do you want the best plot, best characters, best fights, or what? What do you value in a Spiderweb game?

Do you like the indivisible teams of Avernum, the lone wolf Lifecrafters of Geneforge, or the mix and match assortment of Avadon warriors?

If money is really tight and you don't mind older style game, then try Blades of Exile since it's free. There are links in the Blades of Exile forum to the latest versions and lots of scenarios.

If you do buy a game, then consider getting a set where you can get a discount.

My personal favorite SW game is Nethergate: Resurrection; I love the atmosphere and plot, the gameplay is good too; it has some neat (easy, but neat) puzzle elements that have largely disappeared from more recent SW games. I've also acquired Avernum 6 and Geneforges 1-3. I like A6 a good bit, and of the Geneforges, preferred 1 and 2 the best.

The Geneforges give you more replay value, and Nethergate gives you replay value in that it is something like two different games with one engine and the same setting and side quests.

— Alorael, who will toss out another recommendation for A2 or Nethergate if you don't dislike that somewhat aged engine.

I'd say the original Geneforge. In some ways it's weaker than other games; the graphics are not as good as in later games, and the user interface was improved later, too. But frankly no Spiderweb games are graphically spectacular, and if you're not willing to put up with a few inconveniences for the sake of the story, then this is not the company for you.

For me G1 is the classic, iconic Spiderweb game. Primitive by contemporary mainstream standards, but unique and fascinating. If there's any chance you'll someday play more Spiderweb games, you'll want to have played this one, and you'll be happier playing other ones after this than playing this after other ones. If you will never play another Spiderweb game, but would like to be able to say that you know what "indie" games like Spiderweb's are all about, this is an example that will check that box off for you. If you just want one fun game, it's kind of in a dead heat with two or three other games, but it's not far behind them however you slice it.

The other iconic Spiderweb game would be something in Avernum, but unfortunately the first three Avernum games are really dated now, and will probably be hard to get into. They were for me. You might want to try Avernum IV, even though a lot of old hands around here seem to hate it. They mainly hate it because its plot seemed too much of a rehash from the previous three, but if you haven't played them, this isn't an issue. I liked it a lot, and Jeff has said it has sold well, so other people like it, too. Its successors are both even better, except I think they would lose something if you weren't already familiar with Avernum.

As others have said, it is your preferences that really count. But if you want my recommendation: Exile 3! It has the same superb plot as Avernum 3, but the gameplay is far superior. More spells, more party members, more retro. I wasn't too impressed with the last 3 Avernum games. If you like Geneforge, start with the first one.

And don't get Nethergate. To me, it is a mishmash of other Spiderweb games that really doesn't work. It is the only Spiderweb game I could not bring myself to even finish.

Originally Posted By: Venom
As others have said, it is your preferences that really count. But if you want my recommendation: Exile 3! It has the same superb plot as Avernum 3, but the gameplay is far superior. More spells, more party members, more retro. I wasn't too impressed with the last 3 Avernum games. If you like Geneforge, start with the first one.

And don't get Nethergate. To me, it is a mishmash of other Spiderweb games that really doesn't work. It is the only Spiderweb game I could not bring myself to even finish.

A kindred spirit. I would suggest the first Geneforge for you, since you like plot & Geneforge, but Venom and I have near identical tastes.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Of those three, I suggest G4. I've heard Avadon is a bit short, and I found G5 less fun to play than G4. (And if you might ever go back to the older Geneforge games, definitely avoid G5. Continuity errors suck.)

Dikiyoba.

My vote: G2.
Continuity errors do suck, and unfortunately a clever person (me), with a scholarly approach to such things (me) found a heaping mountain of them strewn about the landscape and storyscape of Geneforge 5.