Custom Titles

Dantius

Weird. I see it in the FAQ just fine. For those who cannot see them, here they are:

Quote:
0 Initiate

50 Warrior

200 Shaman

400 Sorceress

600 Shadowwalker

800 Blademaster

1000 Hand of Avadon

2500 Eye of Avadon

4000 Heart of Avadon

6000 Hero

8000 Legend

10000 Postmaster General

15000 Your Postliness

25000 Postaroni, Pizzabella!

Interesting. I kind of liked the Geneforge-themed titles, especially the upper-echelon ones like Councilor. Ah well, the new Avadon ones aren't bad. Are there fewer different titles now, though? It seems to me like the old list was longer.

Edit: I do like being a Shadowalker better than being a Sorceress, I must say. smile

Yes, it is shorter for lack of ranks to work with at this juncture of the series. The ordering of the character classes is arbitrary. You get to join Avadon at 1,000 posts. The order of Hand and Eye are arbitrary, but it's quite clear that Heart is above them. The ranks above are retained from the past two sets of titles.

Huh. Interesting. I sorta like these better than the old Geneforge ones.

Also, I'm apparently a heart of Avadon. Man, I can't decide whether this is a testament to how much I post, or a testament to how much my posting has slowed down. tongue

Still, at some point in the future, I'd sorta like to see a title system that combines titles from all three games.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I saw my new title today. At first I was overjoyed. Then I realized it read "Eye of Avadon", and not "Eye of Argon".

:-(

It's the eye of A-va-don, it's the thrill of the fight, ri-sing-up to the challenge of our riiii-vals

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Still, at some point in the future, I'd sorta like to see a title system that combines titles from all three games.

Then someone would have to pick favorites for which titles got the highest rank. Chronological order to eliminate favoritism, perhaps?

Or perhaps just a death match tournament between the strongest characters of each game.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Originally Posted By: Nioca

Then someone would have to pick favorites for which titles got the highest rank. Chronological order to eliminate favoritism, perhaps?

Or perhaps just a death match tournament between the strongest characters of each game.

Or perhaps we could have back the ability to pick our own custom titles as we see fit?

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Garzahd wins, hands down.

hey speaking of deathmatches

I think if Spiderweb actually had a deathmatch, Slarty would eagerly sign up, enter the arena, and then forget about it and wander around the ring lost in thought until his opponent beat him up.

I don't even remember where I was in that one. Are the threads still around? Maybe I'll finish it this summer when I have free time again.

Edit: I seem to have proved your point. Although it might be more characteristic for me to vigorously deal with several rounds before getting distracted.

Originally Posted By: loyal servile of sasuke uchiha
how do you get custum titles?

Be important (like a global mod, who have powers to give custom titles) or have been at SW since the beginning.

There hasn't been a new mods in a while. I think Toby-Linn was the last new mod. Dikiyoba resigned, but was then reinstated a little later. It's very static.

Actually, we don't have those powers any more. At least, not very functionally: we can try to, but most of the time it will fail for inexplicable reasons. Hooray, UBB.

Once upon a time only admins could give custom titles. Drakey gave out a bunch in spurts when he was an admin, but the last major spurt was in early 2006. Then there was a very brief time, during the switch to UBB.threads in 2007, when anyone could give themselves a title; and since then mods could do it, but with gradually and bizarrely diminishing powers that are now mostly gone.

That's the real reason custom titles are so rare among newer members. They were easier to get in the old days: all you needed was for an admin to think you were an interesting person. Important had nothing to do with it: Drakey gave me a custom title when I'd been here about 2 months, was not a mod, and had not yet done the comic strip or the deathmatch or the vlish exposé or that first strategy central, or even much with EE. On the other hand, I had started a karma topic and gotten in spitting wars with TM and Thralni. So, yeah.

The lack of new mods mostly stems from the fact that there isn't much for the mods to do these days. The forums are pretty friendly. Spambots are rare. And honestly, the Kwazy Kwilting Korner does not live up to its expectations tongue

When I first joined, I noticed these weird titles, and dreamed of one day becoming an Interloper. Then there was a brief period when UBB changed, when anyone could just give themselves any title they wanted. It was every bit of the tiny satisfaction I had hoped it would be.

Originally Posted By: Jack Vance
“I have toiled long and at last it is my turn to taste the delights of the Overworld. After this there is nothing, and the only peril is death through a surfeit of bliss.”

“Vastly interesting!” remarked Cugel. “How might I qualify for a pair of these magic cusps?”

“Strive as do all the others of Grodz: place your name on the list, then toil to supply the lords of Smolod with sustenance. Thirty-one years have I sown and reaped lentils and emmer and netted fish and dried them over slow fires, and now the name of Bubach Angh is at the head of the list, and you must do the same.”

“Thirty-one years,” mused Cugel. “A period of not negligible duration.”

Originally Posted By: Niemand
This post was, in fact, mostly an excuse to use the word 'extant'. I love that word.

I strive to use the word "irregardless" as much as possible around my family, almost exclusively for the purpose of trolling my linguist brother. It works, and they've started using it despite his loudly voiced objections that it's not a read word.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Redundancy is a perfectly legitimate linguistic phenomenon, to the point that it appears in one of the linguistic terms most commonly used in discussions of redundancy: reduplication.

* mind is blown * Wow. Slarty, that's really weird. I've never noticed that about "reduplication," before.

"Irregardlessly" is a fun word of which to make fun, though. smile

Oh, also, to that one guy who asked how to get a title: asking for a title ensures you never get one. tongue

Though, to be fair, in my opinion, having never had one, custom titles are a lot like newbiedom. The moment you're enough of a forum-celebrity to recieve/merit one, you're probably not really going to care a lot about it.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
Oh, also, to that one guy who asked how to get a title: asking for a title ensures you never get one. tongue

Though, to be fair, in my opinion, having never had one, custom titles are a lot like newbiedom. The moment you're enough of a forum-celebrity to recieve/merit one, you're probably not really going to care a lot about it.

The first rule of custom titles is you do not talk about custom titles?

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Okay, Nikki, what'd you do? tongue

Dikiyoba.

It's not my fault that people won't leave that darned film alone! tongue

Edit: Oh, hey, I see what you did there. I did something with mangoes long after they went out of humour, and possibly some complaining at some point.

Originally Posted By: Triumph

Mmm...much like karma.

I changed my title to "Of Mournful Countenance" or something like that when the switch to the new UBB was made. It wasn't original anyway, so meh.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Originally Posted By: Triumph

Mmm...much like karma.

You should know what you get for mentioning karma:
star.jpg

It's not my fault that people won't leave that darned film alone! tongue

Edit: Oh, hey, I see what you did there. I did something with mangoes long after they went out of humour, and possibly some complaining at some point.

I've never seen that movie, but the reference has a life of its own. It's your fault for practically inviting someone to bring it up. tongue

Not going to care about it? Not going to care!? I've poured out my digital soul in the hopes of one day getting one of the coveted custom titles, but alas, it was not to be!

—Alorael, who would settle even for Blademaster now. At least that made him special. What is he now? A postmaster. Bleh.

Originally Posted By: Something doughy that way goes

Not going to care about it? Not going to care!? I've poured out my digital soul in the hopes of one day getting one of the coveted custom titles, but alas, it was not to be!

—Alorael, who would settle even for Blademaster now. At least that made him special. What is he now? A postmaster. Bleh.

Clearly, then, Alorael, you're not enough of a forum-celebrity. Try harder, next time around.

Also, you did get to have a custom title for a little while, "This Feels Like Cheating," or something of that sort.

Clearly, then, Alorael, you're not enough of a forum-celebrity. Try harder, next time around.

Also, you did get to have a custom title for a little while, "This Feels Like Cheating," or something of that sort.

It was "Proving A Point"

Also, woo post train!

Alorael, how did you miss out on the opportunity to assign your own title when we did the UBB upgrade? I seem to vaguely recall you declining to title yourself at that time on principle, but I think I know the real reason—it's like when two people who are never quite romantically involved on a series TV show for years finally break the sexual tension and get together, and then it all gets so boring after that. If he ever finally got a custom title, Alo would lose his identity of The Protester of Many Names with no title.

-S-

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Click to reveal.. (Originally by Nikki:)

Alorael, who would settle even for Blademaster now. At least that made him special. What is he now? A postmaster. Bleh.

It was "Proving A Point"

Also, woo post train!

Dikiyoba is pretty sure Alorael has had both of those titles, actually.