World map?

Kennedy

How will the world map be handled? Will it have a large external world with towns and dungeons that can be entered like in Avernum 1 to 3, or will the world have only one scale and be broken up into regions such as was done for Avernum 4 to 6? Personally I would prefer the multi scale world of the first Avernum games.

Grrr. The Geneforge zone system is bad, for me, because it's great, as a game feature. I'm always tempted to explore one more zone instead of sleeping or whatever I should be doing instead. Somehow in Avernum it's not as bad. I can see roughly what it's going to be like if I keep going from any point, so there's no big curiosity about checking out a new place.

Actually, now I'm thinking that maybe the ideal system would be a hybrid. The real weakness of the zone system is that you know exactly how large each area is because it will be zone-sized. If some "zones" were several areas, there would be more of a sense of real surprise and exploration.

—Alorael, who is more tempted in Avernum. Just a few steps further west always seems more reasonable than opening up a whole new zone. The zones have more natural stopping points.

Originally Posted By: Reduced-Fat Electrum
Actually, now I'm thinking that maybe the ideal system would be a hybrid. The real weakness of the zone system is that you know exactly how large each area is because it will be zone-sized. If some "zones" were several areas, there would be more of a sense of real surprise and exploration.

—Alorael, who is more tempted in Avernum. Just a few steps further west always seems more reasonable than opening up a whole new zone. The zones have more natural stopping points.

Agreed, and I like your idea.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
I'm always tempted to explore one more zone instead of sleeping or whatever I should be doing instead.
I know what you mean, except for me it's with all of Jeff's games.

I get into a game, and then decide to put it down again "after I clear this dungeon" or "when I kill that boss" or even "in another minute or two"; and without realizing it, I've played for five hours straight--and needed to use the bathroom for at least the last four.

Originally Posted By: False PDN without self-reference

I agree, a hybrid would have the best of both worlds, since you would be able to fast-travel when you wanted to so you wouldn't have to trek through 20 something zones to get to a place, and you could also be surprised and more entertained as you play.

Originally Posted By: {Cartouche}

When you say this, I'm picturing something quite like the later Geneforge games, actually. Although the game had zone divisions, some zones had larger dimensions than others, and some also had different levels that could be reached (e.g. through a trapdoor or a pit in the ground) that didn't show up on the overview map.

I personally really like the Geneforge system, because it makes exploring every last square of the minimap less tedious; all the 'no encounter' sections have effectively been removed, so I'm less likely to spend a lot of time exploring places that are of no value.

The fast travel to any zone via the world map in Geneforge was quite nice. Though I would settle for quick teleport to only the major cities or landmarks if it would allow for an overworld map and towns like in Avernum 1-3. What would be really nice is if you could look at the world map and then click on any marker that was on it to "go there".

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Kennedy
Originally Posted By: tehpineapple
Just throwing this out there: 3 Dimensional Map.

Do you mean something like what was done with the "Might and Magic" or Wizardry series?

I think he is referring to a literal 3D map. Imagine it as a globe of sorts, projected by hologram technology from your computer.

Would people buy a game just for that feature? Quite possibly.