A Geneforge Trilogy.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for the waiting I kinda left home for a week or so so I haven't had internet or computer access. I am planning on carying on this story, I have a college interveiw tomorrow so it will probaby be wednesday that i manege to continue it.

Sorry for the many spelling mistakes its very late and I'm awefully tired.

Sharx

Well it has been a while but I have found time to continue the story. The past two weeks have been a bit of a mess to be honest, I left home and lived in some woods about 20 miles away. When I remembered that I had a college interveiw which I couldn't miss so I decided that I should return home and sort things out. So now I'm back and rested I will continue with the story. For your veiwing pleasure I present chapter 17...

Chapter 17 – Departure

Saraph sits in the throne for hours as the soldiers count the losses and bury the dead. The battle alphas Saraph created fell apart hours after the battle due to Saraph’s haste. They did their job and now they are no more, Saraph tried to fix them but he only managed to save a small amount before his time ran out. They are yet another casualty of the war against the shapers. Saraph reflects upon his decisions he made, his haste to betray the shapers. Maybe his haste in betraying the shapers was like the haste he made the battle alpha. Easy to do but short lasting and regretful. Saraph sits in the stone throne unmoving, a painted sculpture created by Hephaestus, the crafter of the gods. His mind races with questions about himself and the rebellion, from what he observed the rebellion is sinking to the shapers level to overthrow them.

His thoughts are disturbed when a soldier walks into the shaping hall and walks across the length of the room to bow at the foot of the throne. Since the battle the soldiers and lifecrafters at the fort have begun to bow on the streets and get uncomfortable in his presence, the same way a mouse would get uncomfortable around a cat. Saraph calls him to rise. The soldier rises and straightens up taking a couple of deep breaths to steady himself.

“Sir, the casualty reports are back. We have lost more than half the garrison and only a couple of lifecrafters remain. Our walls remain minimally damaged and the gates have been fixed and reinforced.” The soldier manages to get the words out if only just. Saraph nods and the soldier departs hastily. Saraph decides that it is time he should be leaving the fort he plans his route back to the fortress beneath the mountain before he stands up and strides across the shaping hall and out of the citadel.

When Saraph steps out onto the street he looks around to see a thick plume of black, oily smoke rising to the west. He proceeds to walk down the southern street while observeing the damage caused to the various buildings around. He arrives at the gate and gives orders to the guard that Phineus is in charge of the fort until further aid arrives.

“We are barely able to hold off a pack of wolves, if the shapers return we will be slaughtered.” The guard pleads to Saraph. Saraph sighs and focuses for a moment before summoning several clawbugs and vlish.

“They should be sufficient at causing confusion within any attacker’s ranks.” Saraph turns and departs after instructing the newly made creations to obey the guard’s orders.

Saraph runs down the road to the mountain path glad to be putting distance between him and the fort. He treasures the wind that whips against his face and tangles his uncut hair that flows behind him. Saraph feels free after the days encased in the problems of the fort. His elation gets greater and greater and he realises that for the moment Saraph is happy with the power that the rebels promise. His thoughts flick to his family that he left behind and wonders what they are doing. He smiles at the thought of family. Saraph reaches the mountain pass and turns east running throughout the night to get to the base of the rebel’s mountain fort. As he reaches the path up to the main gate he slows down to a walk and begins to ascend the slope. His step heavy with confidence at the success of his mission.

Chapter 18 – Isolated In Timeless Harmony

Charlotte steps into the empty street and sees the flicker of the old mans robes disappear around another corner. She runs down the street and rounds the corner to see the man disappear around yet another corner. Charlotte feels a little irritation but runs to catch up with the man. As she turns round the second corner she sees a blaze of light in her peripheral vision, immediately she dives forwards into a roll grabbing her knife as she jumps back up her senses waiting for the slightest of indication of another attack. She looks around quickly and sees the old man standing in the middle of the street relaxed and at ease. She realises that it was him that attacked and repositions herself into a more ready position. She realises that this old man is capable of using magic, it dawns on her soon after that if he really wished to he could probably tear her apart with ease.

“So what’s your story? Is it that your searching for a friend?” he pauses. “No if that were it you wouldn’t be so cautious. Maybe you are looking for revenge?” he studies Charlotte’s face and picks up on a slight tightening of her jaw. “Yes, I’m not losing it in my old age. So what happened to bring you to this fair city? What is so terrible that you travel miles to avenge it?” Charlotte becomes confused by the old mans muttering but soon realises that he is waiting for an answer to something. She thinks upon what the old man said and finds the question.

She begins to explain to the man about her town and her family. She explains that her brother was taken to Dillame by a shaper and how she had gone hunting. She begins to explain about how her town was destroyed and her journey here. She then goes on to explain her report to the citadel and her attempt to join the shaper army. Charlotte doesn’t know why she’s telling this stranger but for some reason she feels that he is a friend even after his attack. While she speaks she relaxes and by the time she has finished she sheaths her knife. The old man looks her over and begins to think upon something.

“Where will you go now then?”

“I don’t know, I though I may go to Dillame and try to locate my brother.” The old man nods to her comment.

“Your brother isn’t at Dillame, he is probably miles away in the ashen isles by now. I have a small hut several miles from the city though where you can rest for a few days and plan your journey.” Charlotte thinks for a moment and realises it’s the best offer she has had so far and decides that it would be nice to travel slowly for a while and rest in a proper bed. She nods her head and the old man sets off again out of the alleyway, this time going slower. Charlotte falls into step besides him and walks silently.

The two of them walk through the city and leave through the main gate. The old man turns east once out of the city and Charlotte follows.

“Oh and I’m terribly sorry for attacking you earlier, I had to make sure that you can look after yourself before I made any offers to you.” The old man speaks the words as if he had just remembered a trivial fact. Charlotte laughs and replies that she is used to it and it wasn’t a problem. The two of them continue for several miles before they reach the edge of a forest. During the journey few words are spoken and none had any importance until Charlotte realised that she didn’t know his name. As they walk beneath the forest canopy she speaks.

“What is your name?” The old man doesn’t reply for several seconds and charlotte begins to think that either he is going slightly deaf and didn’t hear her or that he isn’t going to answer.

“I have been called many names but you may call me Iraelithe.” Charlotte walks onwards in silence. Soon after an hour later she sees a spot of light in the distance.

“We are nearly there, the light you see is the clearing where my house lies.” Charlotte quickens her pace and soon after she steps into a medium sized clearing. In the centre is a small hut it looks to contain at most three rooms. In front of the hut are two flat tree stumps polished smooth and large enough to curl up on. A small stone path extends from the front door to the end of the small garden. Charlotte looks at the clearing and feels like she is isolated from the world. Everything sits in timeless harmony. She takes a deep breath and walks forward into the garden and towards the front door.

Just to be a pain, I am going to point out the negatives. Right back at the start In book 1 chapter 11? I think. Counciller (Pardon Spelling) Tyko or whatever his name was magically changed into Rasham then back into Tyko. You also did not intorudce lifecrafters as rebel shapers. I little footnote would have beed nice and it would have fit into the stroy nicley.

Now the positives. OMG! What a brilliant story. So sad about the poor wingbolt. Please please please PUH-LEASE keep writing. I just took about 5 hours of my life up right now to read this thread. So good! Oww my eyes hurt now, I need to blink now.

Yeh I kindof did realise my mistake about the councillor just hoped that no one would notice hehe. Lifecrafters abilities are also in the name realy so I didn't think I would need to introduce them formally. Currently at my dads so I'm unable to write some more but I will continue the next chapter when I get home.

Sharx.

Quote:
So sad about the poor wingbolt.

Artemis says he got what was comin' to him. Tehee, I'm sounding more like Shaper Scum every day. On a side note:

SARAPH IS AN IDIOT...[but Sharx rocks, just as an FYI]. Artemis wonders...when Saraph figures out who distroyed his hometown, will he still fight for the rebels? hmmmmmm.

Originally Posted By: Artemis likes Wheeler Magnet
I'm sounding more like Shaper Scum every day.

Shapers arn't the scum. I am totally Pro-Shaper. Bah silly rebels. I wonder why shapers don't just walk up to Drakons and absorb them like a rouge (Which they're). Unless it has been explained in a Geneforge that I havn't played why they don't do that, I must say that Shapers are Dumb Smart Guys.

Originally Posted By: Hypnotic
I wonder why shapers don't just walk up to Drakons and absorb them like a rouge (Which they're).

Well, let's see. Drakons are powerful, tough, strong-willed, can breathe fire, can shape creations of their own, and want all Shapers dead. Walking up to a hostile drakon and attempting to absorb it is totally a good survival strategy.

Dikiyoba.

Chapter 19 – History

As Charlotte nears the front door she begins to reach out with her right arm towards the handle.

“I wouldn’t do that.” Charlotte whirls around to see Iraelithe approaching.

“Why not?” She queries.

“Well, you can never be too safe these days. I placed magical traps on most of the major doors around the house. Now if you would please stand back I can let you in.” Charlotte steps away from the door and allows Iraelithe to approach it. He places his hand against the door and pushes it open, he waits for a moment before stepping across the boundary. Charlotte follows behind him into a small room with a couple of chairs and a log fire. Hundreds of books stand of bookshelves around the room and there are two doors exiting the room. Iraelithe lights a couple of candles and sits in one of the two chairs that surround the fireplace. Charlotte feels awkward standing up and takes a seat in the other chair.

Iraelithe points towards the fire and for a second nothing happens, Charlotte is about to ask the meaning of his action when the logs resting in the fireplace burst into flames. Charlotte feels the heat from the fire immediately warming her and feels relaxed for the first time in weeks. The two of them sit there in silence for just over an hour, each person giving the other room to think. Iraelithe suddenly stands up and speaks.

“Best get something to eat on eh? I’m sure your getting hungry.” Charlotte nods and Iraelithe vanishes though one of the doors, Charlotte glimpses a large cooking pit on the other side. While Iraelithe cooks Charlotte begins to looks around the room and at all the books. Most of which look slightly charred or melted. Iraelithe walks in as Charlotte is looking over the books, he watches as she looks at the spines without reading the words.

“They are all various research journals I have found upon my travels. You are welcome to read them although I doubt you would understand the subjects they are about.” Charlotte jumps when she hears Iraelithe’s voice but by the end of his speech she looks down when she replies.

“You would be right. I can’t read, never mind understand subjects that are written in books.” Iraelithe looks upon her face and posture, unlike the usual alert and confident posture, he can see that deep down she is upset and wants to be better.

Iraelithe pardons himself as whistling sounds from the room behind him and he goes to finish making food. Charlotte pulls herself together and continues looking over the books occasionally pulling one off the shelf to look at the cover, she opend one and flicked through the pages but found it all to be writing with very few pictures so she resigned herself to admiring the quality of the bindings. Iraelithe pops his head around the door and informs her that food is ready and that they eat in the room he cooked in. She walks through the door to find another small room with a few cupboards and a fire pit in the centre. There sits a table in the corner with two plates of steaming food on. She sits on the opposite side of the table to Iraelithe and begins to eat. Once both of them have finished Iraelithe begins to speak.

“I noticed earlier that you seemed upset, is there a way that I may help?” Charlotte looks up at him.

“You have already helped more than most and I thank you for your generosity.” Iraelithe smiles before thinking a moment.

“Let us leave these plates at the table and retire to the social room, we can talk in more comfort there.”

They stand up and Charlotte follows him into the front room, they take their earlier seats and Iraelithe continues to speak.

“I will tell you about my life so that you may better understand why I want to help you.” He pauses for effect. “I grew up in Thornton, I was from a wealthy family and my father was a Shaper. This gave me an automatic acceptance into the shaper academy where I studied for many years to become a fully fledged Agent.” He sees a flicker of confusion on Charlottes face. “The shapers are a mix of three different factions, while to outsiders they are all called shapers they take up different roles. The factions that make up shaper ranks are Guardians, Agents and of course Shapers. They all have the power to shape but to differing degrees. Anyway I passed my tests and became a fully fledged Agent. I was sent out to do many different jobs for the shaper council and I saw that my efforts helped to bring peace to the lands. I did my work well and in return I was allowed to learn more advanced magic which allowed me to perform more delicate missions for the shapers. By the time I had grown too old to work as an agent I was too valuable to the shapers with all the wisdom I had gained over the years. I became an adviser to a general, and while I was content in that position it was not helping as much as I could have helped. I petitioned for a position teaching at the academy but it was declined, I knew too much about the lay of the land to be left at a stationary post. I began to take a couple of soldiers that showed potential to use magic and teach them the basic forms along with a basic set of rules that they must absolutely never break. For many years I continued this effort without being found out. That was until one of my students became pinned down in battle and while a shaper was watching he summoned magic to save his life and continue fighting. I prayed that the shaper would forget what he saw in the chaos of the battle but fate frowned upon me that day. The shaper brutally interrogated the man that was not given permission to learn magic. They found out about my secret teachings and exiled me. I was given permission to continue to use and research magic but I am never to shape or teach magic to anyone.” Charlotte’s jaw is handing open by the end of his tale and when she realises she snaps it shut. She is speaking to a shaper, well he was once anyway.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Well, let's see. Drakons are powerful, tough, strong-willed, can breathe fire, can shape creations of their own, and want all Shapers dead. Walking up to a hostile drakon and attempting to absorb it is totally a good survival strategy.

Dikiyoba.

Okay I conceed defeat to your logic. I must raise the point that reations can be absorbed from far away though. I sometimes get lazy and do not want to walk yet another creation past a certain guard so I will absorb it from the other side of the map. My point is why don't shapers use some sort of Eco-location (Like dolphins) with their essence, let small amounts out at a time and 'sence' where the essance has gone. Then smush the creation is gone. Shaped charcters using canisters may expericne these problems. Just a couple of ideas for your awsome story Sharx.

Chapter 20 – Denied

The nine members of the shaper council look down upon the crippled form that Andras has become.

“Your request to shape yourself a new arm is denied, for us to grant your request would be a short step away from becoming like the rebels.” The shaper in the centre raises his arm and seals off the bleeding joint. Andras’ body stops shaking and he manages to stand up, he bows gratefully to the council before leaving the council chambers like a demon fleeing a holy man. Once out of the chambers he runs down the halls to his temporary room which he rushes into and locks the door. He drops onto his bed in a crazed frenzy cursing Saraph’s name and the shaper council. His body has become deformed and the shapers in all their perfection refuse to fix him. He lies on the bed for hours hating the world and everybody in it. Over the hours he manages to calm down and realises that Saraph is the source of his problems. Andras eventually becomes too tired and falls asleep.

When morning arrives Andras stirs from his fitful slumber. He tries pushing himself up to remember his right arm is no longer attached. He rolls over and sits up trying to think of a plan to gain revenge upon the person he once placed his trust in. For most of the day Andras sits upon his bed thinking and plotting and by the end of it is still no closer to a solution. One thing he did realise though is that he will need his right arm. He stands up with difficulty and unlocks his door, he sets off towards the shaping halls planning to disobey the councils orders. On his way he passes by the practice hall for magic and an idea hits him. He stops in his tracks thinking about all the rules that the shapers have and whether his plan will break any. Halfway through his checks he decides that it doesn’t matter. He enters the magic hall to find it empty, he smiles.

Andras sits on one of the platforms and begins his work. He focuses energy through his right shoulder and out into the air besides it, with a thought Andras causes it to become flames and when he looks down he can see the shape of an arm blazing from his shoulder. He smiles again. With another thought it turns to ice, and another turns it to lightning. Andras begins to move the energy like he used to move his arm and after half an hour he stands up and begins to move around while controlling his improvised arm. Andras creates a sword shape in the hand of his new arm and begins to practice his swordplay. After several hours of training Andras feels slightly confident with his improvised arm. He can move it as fast as his thoughts can process and can create a weapon in its hand. He can also use magic and shape from it. He retreats to his bedroom after allowing the magic to disperse. Once in his room he falls onto his bed and surrenders to his tiredness.

When Andras wakes the next morning he pushes himself up with the aid of his improvised arm smiling. He begins to plan once more how he will hope to get revenge on Saraph. Once again the day passes and Andras has little more idea than he had in the morning. He leaves his room and goes to get something to eat, on his way to the kitchens he is spotted by another shaper. Immediately the shaper shouts about illegal activity, moments later the whole citadels alarm system is sounding. Andras realises that he still had a blazing arm of flames spouting from his shoulder but it is too late he turns about and runs. Behind him he can hear shouts of pursuit, moments later thorns begin to ricochet from the walls next to him. He increases his pace even further when flames begin to strike against the walls also. Andras is just at the corner when one of the flaming missiles strikes him in his left leg. He falls down in agony and focuses his magic around him creating a tunnel through space to his home in Dillame. The air blurs and once again he feels like he is being torn apart from every point on his skin.

When he arrives at his home he lands on the stone floor of the entrance hall. He takes a deep breath before he looks down at his leg that screams with pain. He sees half of his leg is missing and the other half is singed or burnt. He pulls out his sword and grits his teeth. He inhales a deep breath through his nose before bringing his own sword down heavily upon his own leg severing it from his body. Quickly he begins to heal the wound and stop the bleeding. He once again begins to practice using magic to improvise a new leg. He could have shaped a new one at this point but his experimentation with his arm left him to realise that a magical limb is much faster and stronger than any limb he could shape himself. He sits upon the floor adapting to using magic constantly for movement.

A madden, saddened revenge seeking shaper. Awsome! I think you can absorb another persons creation even if its not willing. Shaper Rawal in G5 absorbed a whole pack of rouges in an instant. They were busy fighting and not in any condition to worry about being absorbed. Shaper Athena asorbed Sharphs fyoras as qucikly as he could make them. Ill admit it would take practise and from a distance near impossible but with the right focus it becomes feasable. If the creation was born naturally can it be absorbed? Is it even made from essence? I love thicking about whats going to happen next in storys.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
2. The whole Guardian/Agent restriction thing is stupid and pointless anyway.
You have to admit you're a little biased on the subject. tongue

Maybe Barzahl couldn't be an Agent because he was a man. And I seem to remember there being a female guardian in one of the games who's text upon your meeting her remarked on how strange it was to see a female in that position. There doesn't seem to be a restriction, though, merely traditions. These people are medieval, they are expected to be at least a little sexist, for realism. tongue

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
You have to admit you're a little biased on the subject.

True, I think my dislike of G5 is fairly obvious. tongue

Quote:
Maybe Barzahl couldn't be an Agent because he was a man.

If that were the reason, Zakary would have said something along the lines of "It's a shame only women can be Agents, bcause Barzhal would have been really good at it." instead of just mentioning it off-hand.

Quote:
And I seem to remember there being a female guardian in one of the games who's text upon your meeting her remarked on how strange it was to see a female in that position.

That's Guardian Manola in G5. Guardian Nora in G2 doesn't raise any eyebrows. Plus, you see female soldiers and male mages working for the Shapers all the time.

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a restriction, though, merely traditions.

Manola would have left the Shaper sect entirely if Rawal hadn't stepped in, so the Shapers probably enforce it.

Dikiyoba.

Chapter 21 – Secrets

As Saraph reaches the gates of the underground rebel fortress they swing inwards silently on well oiled hinges. Saraph continues walking into the darkness, his eyes adjusting without difficulty. He walks down the corridors towards the main docks. As he walks through the corridors he passes by many people who walk by without a glance. Saraph reaches the docks and turns right towards the doors that lead to the leaders of the fort. Saraph opens the first set of doors and walks along the short corridor with the Drayks at the end.

“I need to provide my mission report urgently.” Saraph informs the drayk. The drayk nods and knocks on the door before stepping aside, the other drayk also steps aside. Saraph takes a deep breath before walking into the circular room.

Saraph walks in to find the nine leaders sat in their respective seats. He walks forward into the centre of the room and stands there with all eyes upon him. He takes a deep breath before giving his report. Saraph starts with what happened after he left the room, about getting supplies and leaving through the main gate with Velerak. He goes on to explain how they travelled and the incident at the pass. The leaders nod in acceptance at this point.

“If you were travelling that fast then where have you been since then?” Saraph nods and continues with his report telling them how he continued to Poryphra to find it almost rebuilt and talked with the gate guard about the place and asking to see the leader of the fort. He explains that he took over the running of the fort creating tactics and defence plans while searching for a larger shaping hall. Saraph explains how the shapers arrived and how the battle started off well until the gates breached. How the rebels were beginning to lose when a miracle happened, they found the shaping halls. Saraph explains how he rushed to them to find Andras and how a battle began and how Andras fled leaving Saraph free to enter the shaping halls. Saraph explains how he ran in and began his work. He explains how he shaped an army and pushed the shapers out of the city and away. He summarises by explaining the state Poryphra is in currently and how they require reinforcements.

The drakon in the centre nods. He looks over Saraph once again with his head tilting. Saraph has the same weird feeling that the drakon is seeing more than his face and cloths.

“Yet again you have proved yourself in more talentsss. I would like to ssee if there is anything that you are incapable of. I will give you accessss to our more restricted library. It is located below our normal library. The drayk outside will give you key that fitss into the pedestal. We will call for you when we have another tassk for you” Saraph nods and departs the drayk outside is already holding up a triangular rod for Saraph. Saraph takes the rod and examines it as he walks down the corridor to the docks. The rod is made of one half crystal and one half decorated gold. The crystal holds a certain frequency of magical energy and when the lock detects it then it will unlock.

Saraph pockets the key and walks down the corridor and out into the docks he crosses the docks and enters the corridor past his room. As he walks towards the library he sees Pyralis walking towards him. He smiles at her as she walks past.

“Wait.” She pauses after saying this. “Good work at Poryphra” She smiles and carries on walking to wherever she goes. Saraph stands there for another second dazed as the same feeling rears its head and Saraph shakes himself putting the many questions he has to the back of his mind. He continues walking down the corridors until he reaches the library. He opens the door and walks in to see the familiar four walls and centre pedestal for holding books. He also notices that there is a small triangular hole in the side of the pedestal. Saraph inserts the key into the space provided and watches as the floor behind the pedestal sinks into the ground. Saraph removes the key and walks around the pedestal and finds that the floor gave way to a set of stone steps. Saraph takes a step down and begins his decent into the deeper secrets of the rebels.

he can't publish it without permission from Jeff. I honestly dont think that he could publish it WITH Jeff's permission, It being a fanfic and all. At least, this is pretty much what Jeff told me when I emailed him wondering about it. Let's see exactly what he told me...

"This is fine, though I have two requests to make my lawyer happy. You can't sell it, and I can't read it (because I can't look at other peoples' ideas). Apart from that, have fun!"

mkay. Sorry Sharx. frown

I created this story for peoples entertainment and to take up my time, I give everyone permission to distrabute and take ideas from this freely. So long as no money is made from the distrobution of the core product then I do not mind.

If you adopt the ideas and incorporate them into your own project then I would ask you to ask my permission via E-mail. If I fail to respond within one week feel free to use what you requested to use.

Any questions regarding this statement can be asked via PM or E-mail.

Sharx

E-mail: n.sharkey@rocketmail.com