Adventurer: 3-2

Explorers: 2-1

Imperial Soldier: 3-1

Brigand: 5-1

Darkside Loyalist: 10-1

Anama: 30-1

Chitrach: 9,000-1

Vahnatai: 500,000-1

Yes, you are more likely to start as a chitrach than a vahnatai. And yes, even though Jeff said you would not be adventurers, they still have the smallest pay-off.

I'd be happy to add more if you have suggestions.

I'm banking on brigands.

Fresh Exiles.

No, seriously. The Darkside Loyalists, assuming they have some real political power, make this plausible as a plot device.

The real limiting factors are that we know from other comments of Jeff's that you can still be humans, nephils, or sliths, and you can still use the same unusually varied set of skills. There aren't many occupations that welcome multiple races and have such a varied skill set. Adventurer. Bandit. Uh... Unspecified Services, which is basically the same as the first two. Prisoners? Hostages? Mercenaries?

As far as I know, Jeff said your starting position would be different than usual, not that you won't be adventurers.

It could just mean you start on the surface.

But I personally think he means you start out as a more mature adventurer, rather than a level one nobody that has to prove himself first, starting with lame fed-ex quests.

In this article Jeff explains how he hates starting over again as a nobody, in every RPG out there.

Therefor, starting as a mature adventurer makes more sense.

You start as wanted criminals. You're innocent, of course, but that doesn't stop the adventurers from obeying the job boards and hunting you down.

—Alorael, who would like to know where loyal soldier of Avernum is on the list. That is, after all, what you are in A2, A4, and arguably A3.

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:
It is something on that list. People will know for sure as soon as one of the websites I've been giving interviews to lately gets around to posting it.

- Jeff Vogel

(Edit: Actually, one thing on that list and two more depending on choices made in the game.)
You big tease.

Since Jeff posted there's no point in posting odds for starting out as a surface tourist cut off from the touring group.

I'm guessing that we start out as adventurers and can join up with the Anama (like in A3) and one other like the Darkside Loyalists since Jeff mentions political intrigue.

A bit of action on "Imperial Soldier" at three-to-one is looking really sweet right now, I gotta tell you.

And if I were to take the two that depended on game choice, they're obviously the Anama (the really easy pick) and the Darkside Loyalists (the slightly-less-easy pick). I'd happily wager somebody else's house on the lot.

Whether you start as one or not, I think being able to play as a villain would be a huge step for Spiderweb in general. One of the things that made Fallout and Knight of the Old Republic great was the fact that you could play the game as a total scumbag, screwing over good, often innocent people that you would normally be helping. It was awesome.

Forcing the player to start as the Anama would be a horrible error. It's a cool option (and yes, you can become Anama), but slashing out half of the magic system by default would be bad.

I feel that the player's starting position in the game has to be something they can get their heads around very quickly. You can add lots of complexity later, but the basic "Who am I?" thing has to be pretty simple.

That is why the "lost tourist" idea, as hilarious as it is, wouldn't be something I'd do. Same for the Anama. Soldier/adventurer and "explorer of the underworld" is already enough information for someone who is trying to figure out how to play the game to process.

- Jeff Vogel

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:
Forcing the player to start as the Anama would be a horrible error. It's a cool option (and yes, you can become Anama)
I figured that was how it would go down, but I am pleased to hear you confirm it. I felt joining the Anama added an extra layer of replayability to Exile 3, very good to see it repeated in Avernum 5. Don't make it too easy to play without mage spells though, the player should definitely feel the pinch or else it's a waste of a cool idea.

I agree with the other stuff, too.