It's time for a new CSR

BainIhrno

I like the idea of doing them here too, but I don't know that Jeff will allow it, with his own rating system. My other idea was Shadow Vale, but that will probably go down in 5-6 years, maybe less. Another benefit of doing them here would be we could have 5+ moderators to adjust scores.

Actually, I'm a little against having the CSR here. UBB already shows instability and post-eating tendencies as it is; the extra load that the CSR would place on it would likely result in something just as unstable as EZ-yuku-whatever-it's-called-now. Additionally, only four moderators can moderate a single forum.

I think Shadow Vale is a good idea though. It already is a hub for many BoA designers, which means that it already has a share of the target demographic. Assuming Tyranicus doesn't mind, of course.

Another option could be to have it on a single site (like, say, yours) and have the reviews e-mailed in.

Forum or the Blades Forge. The former is basically limited to Spidweb and SV, and arguments could be made for both. There IS something to be said for having the CSR right here on spidweb where it's so accessible to everybody, but then I'm in no position to even say whether or not we'd even be permitted to do it. If it were on SV it would have the advantage of not being on UBB, and being completely community controlled.

The Blades Forge would be optimal, and I know Aran has plans to include reviews, but only he can say when that's going to be ready.

I smell a blades chat; it's about time we had one anyhow.

Quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:
The Blades Forge would be optimal, and I know Aran has plans to include reviews, but only he can say when that's going to be ready.

I smell a blades chat; it's about time we had one anyhow.
I really hope Aran can do it. He has da skillz.

A blades chat would be cool, but only if scheduled when I'm available.

It has been mentioned aleady, but the Blades Forge was exactly the place where a new rating site could be established. He once upon a time even had a "reviews" button and I remember a long discussion, here at SW, about how to implement the rating system. So yes, Aran most defintely wants it to exist, but I think he said there were some problems...

I support the Blades Forge idea too. Heck, maybe when I'm less busy I'll even have time to play/review some scenarios.

I'd be for doing it at Shadow Vale too (again, Tyran's site, Tyran's choice), but most of what we've seen there lately is spambots anyway. I hate to say it, but it might not be around much longer either.

Quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:
I like the idea of doing them here too, but I don't know that Jeff will allow it, with his own rating system. My other idea was Shadow Vale, but that will probably go down in 5-6 years, maybe less. Another benefit of doing them here would be we could have 5+ moderators to adjust scores.
Umm, I'm not planning on taking my webspace down anytime soon. I use the same hosting space for my company's website. Why didn't anyone mention this to me while I was in the chat? I'm more than willing to set it up right now. Bain and TM do a good job with the current CSR, so I'll just create a public forum where only they can create topics. Bain, just let me know if you want to do this. It will take all of 5 minutes to set up.

I think SV is a better option than the Lyceum, but my only reservation is that if the Forge will be ready soon, the effort of moving all those ratings over would be wasted. What will the role of the SV CSR be? Just an interim CSR, or are we going to move all the topics and completely relocate the Lyceum CSR? Is the Blades Forge the eventual destination for the CSR? And if it is, will it be a supplement to the SV CSR (Like Aran originally had intended it as a supplement to the Lyceum) or will it be a full replacement? How much effort would it even take to move all those rating threads?

These are some of the things I wanted to bring up at the chat, but clearly I missed it. If you already discussed it, sorry. Just send me a chat transcript (Do that anyway, actually.)

I'm not sure when the Forge review section will be finished, let alone function smoothly. Given that my schedule is still getting tighter, it could be as late as May or June.

I don't advocate waiting till then. Especially with ezboard being what it is, I wouldn't wait to move the data. To put it another way, moving from a sinking ship to a ship that has not yet been built isn't smart.

By all means, migrate the CSR to Shadow Vale. Perhaps the Forge could simply aggregate that instead, like it's doing for the Lyceum now. But what happens at the Forge can be decided later on when we have a stable review site and I have more time again. smile

The BoA CSR is up and running at http://forum.nethergate.net/index.php?showforum=31

Stop by and write some new reviews, or help us identify the old 'anonymous' reviews whose authors' identities were lost during the yuku switch.

We still have a ways to go for the BoE CSR, though. Anyone who is willing to help is welcome-- it's a pretty daunting task.

A benefit of moving CSR here (on the official boards) is that it would be more likely to attract new players to the community. If a person new to Spidweb comes to this site because of A5, he is more likely to click down to an unusually active BoA/BoE forum than to seek out a scenario rating site. Once a person does click on the forum, he might be attracted by sheer volume of scenarios. (Sure, the Spidweb tables are large, but it's one thing to seek out rating tables for custom scenarios for a game you've never seen, and another thing to just look at another section of the forum you are already visiting.)

More players seeing the ratings -> more players buying the games -> more scenario designers and higher likelihood that Jeff will make another similar game in the future.

The Lyceum's rather incompetent and broken hosts (ezBoard) finally moved it to their new and supposedly less broken board system, Yuku. The move, of course, broke a lot of things, including a large number of posts which suddenly became "unregistered". Also, Yuku is even uglier than ezBoard, which is a serious problem.

So in the end, it was the Lyceum's ungrateful hosts who killed it.

You could say it was living on borrowed time for all these years. I have yet to learn of a single community hosted by ezboard that did not meet with disaster or sufficient inconvenience to eventually pack up and go somewhere competent - although the Lyceum kept on for astonishingly long.

Quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:
You could say it was living on borrowed time for all these years. I have yet to learn of a single community hosted by ezboard that did not meet with disaster or sufficient inconvenience to eventually pack up and go somewhere competent - although the Lyceum kept on for astonishingly long.
That says we, as a community, are either extremely patient or excessively lazy. I'm leaning toward the latter. :p

Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
In terms of making people appreciate the sheer volume of scenarios, I've considered re-doing this forum's header in the style of the BoE forum. Think it would make any difference?
That sounds like a good idea.

A suggestion if you do this: link to the reviews at ShadowVale / BladesForge / wherever CSR ends up, rather than to downloads directly. This way players will know if a scenario with appealing title is a good representation of overall quality. A related suggestion would be to include download links to review threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but people restoring CSR might find this useful:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://pub26.ezboard.com/bthelyceum

Not all reviews are archived, but the ones that are should help sort out the mess created by ezboard demise. You could even restore some reviews eaten by a crash a few years ago.