FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic
Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:02 PM #36 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

In some ways, Cheeseball helps give Solberg a little more personality that Erika has.  I mean beyond powerful mage, afraid of his shadow.

Mysterious Man Mysterious Man

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 6
  • 514 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:31 PM #37 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

Sad I missed this.

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:02 PM #38 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

Does anyone else keep reading this thread title as "Mr. Vogel is AMAZING on Reddit"?

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:11 PM #39 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

View PostTriumph, on 18 September 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

Does anyone else keep reading this thread title as "Mr. Vogel is AMAZING on Reddit"?
Yes.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Owenmoz Owenmoz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 17,190
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNairobi, Kenya

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:02 PM #40 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

View PostShadowschlep, on 18 September 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

Alorael contrasted "character writing" with the strong, debate-generating factional/philosophic writing he was praising from Jeff, and then you used variations on "well written characters" 3 times in your comment, so if that's not what we're talking about I'm very confused.
I suppose i shouldn't have said "well written" though fervour inducing doesn't come out as easy.  To be fair  until Alorael explained further i was also a bit confused.

Owenmoz Owenmoz

Shadowwalker

• 459 posts
  • LocationNairobi, Kenya

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:12 PM #41 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

View PostSandestins for all occasions, on 18 September 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

—Alorael, who also likes Erika. She's a good concept and plays an interesting role in the world. But personality? Beyond vengeful, powerful mage, not very much.
I agree with the rest. But this is blasphemy xD
Ok but as slartibus was saying in previous games while you dont usually get to know first hand of their quirks as much, you do by other peoples opinion on the characters. On their own they don't ammount to much of a personality. But coupled with what others say you get a decent picture. Flaws included. Its just not personal which diminishes their direct impact on the player.

Alex Alex

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 59
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:17 AM #42 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

"it's not a Spiderweb game if you can't switch sides and help the bad guys"

Hm, can you join the bad guys in Exile/Avernum?

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:19 AM #43 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

View PostAlex, on 21 September 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

"it's not a Spiderweb game if you can't switch sides and help the bad guys"

Hm, can you join the bad guys in Exile/Avernum?

You can in A5, but not so much in the other games of the series. The next closest might be working for Gladwell in A6 (he's definitely a terrible person, but it's not quite the same as having a discrete antagonist faction that you can formally join).

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:50 PM #44 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

You can't switch sides, but you can play as either side in Nethergate.

The whole moral ambiguity thing really got rolling with Geneforge. Yes, the second Avernum trilogy comes afterwards, and so does some of the first trilogy technically (although the plot of course dates back to Exile) but the Avernum universe lets you be the clear good guys generally.

—Alorael, who sees A5 as the departure. Among other things, you arguably start off as the bad guys. No one likes the Empire.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:56 PM #45 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

In Exile we are the bad guys, that's why the Empire sentenced us to live down here.  :)

It isn't until Nethergate that you get to see and play as both sides in the struggle. Geneforge allows for picking a path.

"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Karan S'jet Karan S'jet

seiðmaðr

• Member ID: 3,440
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationInvisible Cities

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:10 PM #46 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

just a bunchas skinny pale cavepunks fighting the man, living in a cave, bein grumpy, yeah.

part of the reason the early avernums are so much more interesting imo :/
The mutilation of the self is the only path towards real personal growth.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
TELL ME. . .
WHAT AM I?
I CANNOT SEE

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:08 PM #47 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

It started with BoE (A Small Rebellion), Nethergate, and then Geneforge in succession.  In fact, since BoE, there has only been one non-remake release that does not offer an ethically and pragmatically charged choice of allegiance at some point in the story -- Avernum 4.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Owenmoz Owenmoz

Shadowwalker

• 459 posts
  • LocationNairobi, Kenya

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:42 PM #48 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

Well you get the option to help the vahnathai cure rentar. Or you can kill her. Both affect the end in a way. The moral dilemma being; do we try to save a murderous powerful psycho or do we kill it and by doing it ostracise the race. Such difficult choice... What to do. What to do...

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:21 AM #49 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

In Exile we are the bad guys, taking away Vahnatai (and Slith and Nephil) land.

Goldengirl Goldengirl

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,001
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:35 AM #50 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

That would be true if the humans were willing colonizers, rather than, well... Exiles...

Not to mention the fact that some (all?) of the Nephil were also sent to Exile from the Surface. Politics of desperate necessity don't easily conform to easy moral judgments.
"Never say anything to anyone that you wouldn't want them to not feel bad about telling someone else about if they said it to someone they cared about as much as they care about you not knowing who they are, because at the end of the first day of the rest of your life, you're going to have to look twice at yourself in the mirror and still be able to sleep through the alarm in the morning after." - Student of Trinity
"I think the ultimate irony, and perhaps insult, would be for bad adventurers to reincarnate as town guards." - Slarty
"Look at me, I can't even be bothered to write my own message! I am truly the more optimal spammer!" - Nikki

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:37 AM #51 FYI: Mr. Vogel is AMAing on Reddit right now, until 6PM Pacific Time.

View PostGoldengirl, on 22 September 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

That would be true if the humans were willing colonizers, rather than, well... Exiles...
According to the established government, we're the bad guys.  Embrace it just like they did in Suicide Squad.  :)
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users