Geneforge 5: Overthrow - October Update

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Pitchblack
I thought the continent in G4 was the backwaters, and that the main Shaper continent was elsewhere (I think it said that somewhere in G3)

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
G4 takes place on the less settled continent, if Dikiyoba remembers correctly.

If this is true, then why would Western Terrestia be the main Shaper area? Even if you cant go there in G4?

-_-

What, exactly, did I miss in this whole Terrestia/Shaper Council discussion? When was it mentioned that G5 would take place in the western half of Terrestia?

Dikiyoba is thoroughly confused.

No, there is no proof just speculation. The game had 2 points where you coudn't continue on too. To me, whatever is passed there is the most likely place for G5.

Say's the One True Dragon Lord

Originally Posted By: Ackrovan
No, there is no proof just speculation. The game had 2 points where you coudn't continue on too. To me, whatever is passed there is the most likely place for G5.

All right then. We do know of one place in west Terrestia--Drypeak. It's actually really close to Turabi Gate. Given that it takes several weeks to travel from Drypeak to the Shaper capital, it seems very likely that the Shaper Council is on the other continent.

Dikiyoba.

It would make sense if the Shaper Council were just about anywhere. With the war on, they probably set up some sort of mobile-councilling-unit so they could operate on whatever continent is the least... burnt down.

That said, it would just feel right if it took place in Western Terestria, otherwise Turabi gate was kind of a tease.

All right then. We do know of one place in west Terrestia--Drypeak. It's actually really close to Turabi Gate. Given that it takes several weeks to travel from Drypeak to the Shaper capital, it seems very likely that the Shaper Council is on the other continent.

Dikiyoba.

Now your just guessing. Besides, learned Hartel from Kima-uss is from drypeak and said it was it the north. Kima-uss is on the northeastern end of the G4 map. How I see it is Western Terrestia goes on to the west for a while, than hooks north, eventually reaching a road that takes you to drypeak. We still can't rule out the relocation of the Council. And you forgot about Western Morass.

And to all the moderators; we have more than 10 brain cells rolleyes

Besides, learned Hartel from Kima-uss is from drypeak and said it was it the north.

No, he did not.

Originally Posted By: Learned Hartl, Khima-Uss
"Where is Drypeak?"

"In some mountains west of Illya Province. I have always been drawn to mountains."

Dikiyoba.

My mistake.

Though as a beta tester I know the actual G5 map, I'm antsy about my NDA. But I can remind people about Geneforge geography in general.

I have always imagined that the zones represent isolated areas of interest or challenge, not a tiling of the map. Some adjacent zones may be quite far apart. G5 finally includes at least one explicit tip that there maybe long walks between zones. I still think Jeff should spell this principle out more explicitly, but maybe he doesn't have to.

The scale is not necessarily the same in every game. Sucia Island seemed relatively small, and its servile villages really only had a few buildings. The Ashen Isles evidently extend over considerable latitude, and G4 is considered to run the whole east coast of a large continent. Some city zones in G3 and G4 are obviously too small to represent full major cities, so presumably they portray only the town centers, ignoring dull suburbs around.

Anyway, the point is that the Geneforge zone system gives Jeff a lot of freedom with geography. He could have G5 cover the entire globe if he wanted, or have it all happen within a hundred miles of the Turabi Gate. What we'd see in either case would be cities and zones not so different from what we've seen before. You know you can get to the Shaper Council, and you can guess it's probably a good few zones travel to get there. But geographically it can still be wherever Jeff wants it to be.

Ok... that was only kind of helpful...

We were talking about the location, which, as you have pointed out, could be anywhere. Which was exactly what we were arguing about...

I do understand about the NDA, however, and respect it, which is probaly why your post is kinda vague.

I really wish that I could make it go explody, though.

This discussion made me mess with the day counter in G4 some, and I'm getting some unexpected results (namely, traveling from the Eastern Barrier Zone to the Eastern Pass can take anywhere from three to nine days). Anyone know how it works? Is it somehow effected by the weather?

Is Jeff's eventually going to produce Geneforge Trail? Dikiyoba must know! tongue