What Spells Do You Wish You Could Cast?

Nioca

What spells do you wish you could cast? Me, I think I would like to be able to cast Diamond Spray (this is what Swarm Crystals and Jeweled Wands fire). The ability to level eight or more foes with blasts of energy would be an exciting prospect. Also, maybe a Mass Speed spell, for when you need to haste everyone nearby quickly.

Quote:
Originally written by Nioca:
What spells do you wish you could cast? Me, I think I would like to be able to cast Diamond Spray (this is what Swarm Crystals and Jeweled Wands fire). The ability to level eight or more foes with blasts of energy would be an exciting prospect.
Yeah, it'd sure be a hell of a lot better than that Essence Lances spell.

Quote:
Also, maybe a Mass Speed spell, for when you need to haste everyone nearby quickly.
Uh, Mass Energise already does that.

You should have heard the beta testing howls of complaint when Jeff took out mass haste from mass energize. It was put back in the next beta. Aura of flames works almost as well as diamond spray but there are a few creations where you wish you had another spell. Wait until you face the nightmare worms of the Titan's Hall.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Essence shackles is a missle spell so you need dexterity and/or missle weapons.
Are you sure about this, Randomizer? I didn't think that any spellcasting in GF4 was dependent upon statistics other than intelligence and ability in the spell class of interest, unlike using crystals/gems/fibers, for which dexterity and missile weapons determine their effectiveness.

Submission Bolt - Fires a bolt of energy at a foe, which damages and stuns. (Think Submission Baton)

Disruption - Disrupts a single creation, causing incredible amounts of damage. Useless against non-creation opponents.

Shockwave - Does heavy damage to all nearby enemies and surrounds them with a Lightning Aura.

Incapacitate - Slows, Curses, Weakens, and Dazes a single opponent. Does no damage.

Mass Regeneration - Like Regeneration, but affects all nearby allies.

Essence Shroud - Hides a single target, boosting stealth and making it much harder to be hit.

The chance of hitting with Essence Shackles, as with any spell, is dependent on your skill in Spellcraft, your skill in the spell's field (in this case, Mental Magic), and your skill in the spell itself. It is NEVER dependent on Intelligence, Dexterity, Missile Weapons, or anything else.

I assume Essence Shackles and Wrack have a substantial innate to-hit bonus, since my lifecrafter had a 0% hit rate with battle magic against many opponents, but hit even the harder optional bosses at least 60% of the time with Wrack and Essence Shackles, despite mental magic only being a couple of points higher than battle magic.

The non-damage spells might begin with a base 100% to-hit instead of the standard elemental to-hits (60% fire, 70% magic/acid, 80% ice). Or they might begin with 70%. I don't really remember.

Do note that "a couple of points" difference in spell skill is worth 5% to-hit per point, so that could be a big chunk of what you saw.