Did anyone else notice?

Eh, it's a lot more complicated than that. You CAN'T use the Geneforge in G2 or G3, because you're a human and those Geneforges were made for drakons. So of the first three games, using the Geneforge is really only an option in G1. Then, in G4, you start out on a totally different side conflict with a different attitude toward Geneforge. There's not really an big contradiction there.

The first Geneforge - ultra powerful, you are encouraged to destroy it, with or without using it yourself. The power it gives is so great that you want no one have it, or you are the only one.

The later geneforges are only poor replica, they make the user a little stronger, not make them god.

The second and third are for drakons only.

The fourth there is one at the very beginning, and is used to turn rebel apprentice into lifecrafter. You are a rebel apprentice.

• 4 weeks later...

I never felt like the first game encouraged you not to use the Geneforge; it just presented it in front of you and waiting to see what you would do with it. Stealing those gloves, and tricking T-man (I'm bad with names) into using the damaged ones, then taking ultimate power for yourself? What a great ending. Well, except the part where you go power-crazy and murder everyone who stands in your way.

• 3 weeks later...

On the other hand, using canisters have a *lot* of repercussions on the ending depending on how many you use and which faction you join...In Geneforge 3 the Cannisters barely affect the endings, and have no impact on the endings of Geneforge 1 or 5 at all.

Canister usage affects the endings of all but the last geneforge. In the first it it less of an impact but I heard it was 3 or less to get the no canister ending(haven't done it myself as the computer I was playing it on died). Using the canisters in geneforge 3 doesn't have much impact on the rebel ending from what I can tell but if you use too many for the shaper ending the shapers kill you although yes the change is minor.

Hoever as you are playing (with the exception of G5), using too many canisters limits your dialogue options. I'd like to see more impact on the endings from canister usage for geneforge 1 and more variation on geneforge 3's ending.

Canister usage affects the endings of all but the last geneforge. In the first it it less of an impact but I heard it was 3 or less to get the no canister ending(haven't done it myself as the computer I was playing it on died).

This is incorrect. People tried canister-less play-throughs of G1 and it made no difference whatsoever to the ending. The game was designed to have you use canisters, and unlike later games really has no ways to gain most abilities apart from using canisters. The will-you-or-won't-you-use-canisters angle was a new aspect introduced in G2.

This is incorrect. People tried canister-less play-throughs of G1 and it made no difference whatsoever to the ending. The game was designed to have you use canisters, and unlike later games really has no ways to gain most abilities apart from using canisters. The will-you-or-won't-you-use-canisters angle was a new aspect introduced in G2.

Yeah, certain dialogues with individual characters in G1 kept track of whether you'd used a lot or almost none, but the ending doesn't--Jeff (rightfully) assumed that most people wouldn't get to the end without canisters.

I never understood why no one in the series attempts a "perfect genetic being" style Geneforge that works on humans after G1. Maybe it required a particular technical ingenuity and no one was able to fully duplicate the Sucia Island breakthrough? (They make it sound like they spent time decoding the "scrolls" of DNA and worked together to write a new genetic code from the ground up for the Geneforge, so you might in fact not even be all that human--they have designed a new life form. That's my headcanon, anyway)

I think the reason the Geneforge in 4 and 5 is such a poor knock-off is that it's not intended to do what the Geneforge 1 Geneforge does. As most of the information on it was destroyed, all that's left is what Zakary and Barzahl recovered. Sucia Island had the backing of the Shapers and their vast resources until it was barred, the later Geneforges was just what the Rebels could create. Especially since the Drakons weren't being very herlpful and that the later Geneforge was designed to serve the rebellion in creating Lifecrafters (if all the Rebels were basically gods incarnate, they'd likely turn on each other and destroy the world).

Sucia Island had the backing of the Shapers and their vast resources until it was barred

Quite true. No one since, even among the Shapers, has had the skill and means to create a belt with +3 to each of the major attributes, or indeed any artifact worth over 7500 coins.