Just bought the collection off of steam.

peteralexanderjex

I just wanted to say I think this is a great website and the games look great. My favorite computer games are Darksun, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Fallout

I like AD&D 3.5 and pathfinder taletop rpg

which of these games is the most like a traditional fantasy game. Swords, races, levels, spells, giants, ogre, orcs

I want to start off right so the best example of the company and what it has to offer. I think graphics matters a little but not much, so like if the game play functions near the level of darksun or bg 1. I like a lot of info and a lot of options, unique characters, becoming a hero (I loved bgs strongholds and how your character becomes notorious.

any way. I look forward to getting to the fans on this forum. I've got 15 new RPGs to play!

welcome aboard.

Avernums are closest to fantasy rpgs (few races to choose and alot ogres, giants, spiders, demons, lunatic mages, just name it and it most likely is in game, no level cap) but Avadons aren't far behind (only 1 race and less giants, ogres, etc, chars max level is 30) and then comes Geneforge. Avernums whole party is heroes while in Avadons there's main char and his (/her in Avadon 2) assistants and Geneforges have main char and his creations.

Avernum Escape From The Pit is best to start (Avernum 1 lacks few essential things) and then Avernum 2 and 3 and then rest of Avernum-games and then Avadons (2 atm, 3rd comes out next year maybe) and then Geneforge.

I generally agree that Avernum is the closest to ordinary heroic fantasy, and Avadon is a close second. All Spidweb's games have swords, magic, levels, etc., but these two are in traditional fantasy worlds.

Nethergate has the feel of an Arthurian legend and is generally highly regarded around here.

Geneforge would be a little less familiar to someone who is thinking primarily of D&D: it revolves around creating monsters and fighting created monsters, and it doesn't feel very medieval, Tolkien-esque. It feels slightly more sci-fi/fantasy than straight fantasy.

Other topics with "first game recommendation" questions abound, such as this one.

Nethergate is based on the older Welsh legends and with the Roman occupation predates Arthurian legends. It's also the only time that Jeff made a game where you get to see the plot from two different view points. Even Geneforge doesn't carry it to that extreme since you only get the different sides opinions.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. We are taking up a collection for Jeff Vogel.

Nethergate is based on the older Welsh legends and with the Roman occupation predates Arthurian legends.

Yeah, I suppose for clarity I should add that it's not actually an Arthurian legend, since it takes place about 300-400 years before King Arthur. It just feels like one. It also feels a little like the Chronicles of Prydain and anything else that's British/Celtic mythology.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. We are taking up a collection for Jeff Vogel.

is he in financial trouble? I guess I could buy direct from the website to better support the games. I didnt know they existed 2 days ago. I thought steam was the only place they were for sale.

my review so far is this: I havent slept in 2 days playing Avernum 6, if the game sucked at all that part must come later cause right now it's an instant classic. It's got a fallout, darksun sun (shattered lands) and final fantasy 3 quality to it that takes me back while still being a totally unique and original rpg experience. The Sounds are great, the magic items are great, the game is huge manages a suspense of disbelief even on its old school engine, and the quests are realistic and yet playful and fun at the same time.

I've never played an indie game and consider myself a fan of good graphics and big budget games. The last time I stayed up for 2 days straight playing an RPG was mass effect. so take your sanity back Mr. Vogel. you deserve it.

Jeff's doing better financially, but he confirmed his lack of sanity in his blog post. :)

I dont know how he can release games so quickly and have em still hold up. All that dialogue and the creative juices to do it. it's something else.

the only thing I've ever made that people finished and enjoyed was a delicious thanksgiving dinner. Mr. Vogel's saner then most people I know. ;)

I dont know how he can release games so quickly and have em still hold up. All that dialogue and the creative juices to do it. it's something else.

the only thing I've ever made that people finished and enjoyed was a delicious thanksgiving dinner. Mr. Vogel's saner then most people I know. ;)

Avernum rewrites are easy since most of things exists already. Game engine stays same (bit polished after every game) so that saves time too.

After you have played few games thru we will want to know if you still think that Mr Vogel is sane.

to answer my own question. I love Avernum 6 10 levels into it. The fights are insanely hard for a beginning player but I've managed. Only been whiped out 3-4 times. people that say the combat isn't strategic dont know what they are talking about. I've been limping out of dungeons with 1 living character hoping and praying I can make it back without getting jumped. great game play.

so what should I play after avernum 6? I see there's a newer avernum game and avadon looks pretty cool. I tried out some of the older games but honestly I seem to always miss the refined features in the newer games when i go back to the older ones.

Avernum Escape from the Pit is definately the best game to start with, especially according to your criteria.

Please be aware that Avernum Escape from the Pit is actually Avernum 1 remade. It's not a 7th game. The stories actually connect between each part of a series, that's why I usually recommend starting out with the first. Escape from the Pit is nice because it's modern and still is the very beginning of the Avernum story.

After Avernum I'd probably go for either Nethergate or Geneforge series (but I personally didn't like the Geneforge series too much), because those are a huge change to Avernum and help to keep it interesting (playing Avadon directly after Avernum feels boring and "Have seen it all"-like).

Avernum Escape from the Pit is definately the best game to start with, especially according to your criteria.

Please be aware that Avernum Escape from the Pit is actually Avernum 1 remade. It's not a 7th game. The stories actually connect between each part of a series, that's why I usually recommend starting out with the first. Escape from the Pit is nice because it's modern and still is the very beginning of the Avernum story.

After Avernum I'd probably go for either Nethergate or Geneforge series (but I personally didn't like the Geneforge series too much), because those are a huge change to Avernum and help to keep it interesting (playing Avadon directly after Avernum feels boring and "Have seen it all"-like).

Thx. I started with Avernum 6 but I'll play escape from the pit next for sure.

Avernum reminds me of Australia. People getting tossed into the pitt by the "empire"

I've played it for 4 days literally as much free time as Ive had (not much) and it's been a blast. It's been 4-5 years since I played a good story driven rpg.

There was big debate what countries Avernum and Avadon's countries could be in real world and Avernum being Australia was quite populat belief.

it's got conflict with it's native population that over time is solved. lots of javelins. angry chiefs.

It's the "land down under"

unique ecosystem, crazy animal species, and if you wander around enough I bet there's at least 1 kangeroo in avernum

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the giant Cave Wombats.

I remember a text adventure called 'Dinkum', that was a bizarre Ozzification of Adventure. It ended up with anti-Iranian spaceship stupidity, but most of it was classic. Its syntax about the rifle and the radioactive bullet that was needed to kill the deadly wombat somehow got fused in my mind with the Yale Shooting Problem.

• 1 month later...

You should have started with Blades of Exile. It doesn't matter your personal preferences before the games, after you've played Blades of Exile for like 5 minutes, it automatically becomes your favorite game :p

Fixed your typo. ;)

Looks like you missed a spot, don't worry, I fixed it.

You should have started with Blades of Avernum. It doesn't matter your personal preferences before the games, after you've played Blades of Avernum for like 5 minutes, it automatically becomes your favorite game :p

Fixed your typo. ;)

Where are all these typos coming from? You'd think two edits would've been enough.

You should have started with Geneforge 1. It doesn't matter your personal preferences before the games, after you've played Geneforge 1 for like 5 minutes, it automatically becomes your favorite game :p

Fixed your typo. ;)

Where are all these typos coming from? You'd think three edits would've been enough.

Geneforge 4 and Avernum 2 are also acceptable answers; Dikiyoba isn't picky.

I have played the Exile (not Avernum even, but long ago..) -- the Exile series, Avernum 6, and now Avadon 1 and Avadon 2. Once I'm done with Avadon 2 I will play the Nethergate: Resurrection that I've bought off Steam.

I keep hearing good things about Geneforge but I do have a question about it before I buy the Geneforge pack. I have a relatively new PC machine (windows 8.1 and so forth). Exile 3: Ruined World was about my favorite game back in a younger day. About a year ago I booted it up again and I couldn't stand the small field of view on the interface, like only being able to see a few steps away at a time, especially after having experienced games with Jeff's newer engines. Is Geneforge like that on newer machines, or is there a way to increase the field of view? Or should I wait and hope that after Avadon 3 and Avernum: Ruined World, that Geneforge will get a makeover?

Download the demo for any game you aren't sure of and try it out. Most of the old games have fixed field of view with the only control being where you want it on the screen.

Jeff's got at least two more years before he makes his next choice. We might get Avadon 4 as the next in the Avadon Trilogy or his rumored Avernum prequel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You should have started with The Witcher 2. It doesn't matter your personal preferences before the games, after you've played The Witcher 2 for like 5 minutes, it automatically becomes your favorite game :p

You play TW2? I didn't know that.

Who knew that you could edit posts without being a mod? That's awesome!!!

Geneforge Saga is on sale on Steam this week, $3.99 for the lot. Get it.

I actually bought it on gog a month ago. But I like having it in my steam library.

Proof.

I'm not sure you actually said that. Maybe you were actually talking about a meat grinder. :p

My proof is over there ^^

Question.

Which moves faster, my brain or a turtle?

A turtle

pls explain the meat grinder joke

So I've been thinking.

If Jeff *actually* wants $15 for Avernum: Escape from the Pit

But he acquiesces that for Steam, $9.99 is a more approachable price

But then he allows the game to periodically go 75 to 80% off...

And I wind up paying $2 or $2.49, not once but two or three times so I can have it on Steam and Gog etc... basically accessible wherever I want it

--and I also pay $2.00 about six more times gifting the game to friends who probably would have never bout this, or any other spiderweb games in the first place

---and then, just one out of six of those friends, decides to buy another spiderweb game or two on their own...

...in the end Jeff wins, right?