More Avadon 2 Screenshots

Randomizer

Um ... three points -- first of all, I think that calling this "near some old areas" is ... well, crazy, given that it's quite a ways to the west of the area of the Kva that was explored in the first game. (Note the "contested territory" marking, which was present on the original map as well.) Secondly, the lava screenshot is explicitly marked as being in the Corruption, so I don't think that's a dragon's weyr. And finally, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have to give us any screenshots at all.

The creature in that Corruption screen . . . I can't remember what they're called, but I remember killing a decent number of them in Geneforge 5.

The Wyldrylm Rebel Lands are probably related to those Wyldrylm idiots from Jenell's companion quest. The ones that are disgruntled as hell because they wanted to reap all the benefits of being a part of the Pact without actually having to pay anything in return. (Such as being angry that they can't force people traveling the free roads to pay a toll.) If so . . . I'd kind of enjoy crushing them.

I'd assume there's at least one other section marked as being in rebel hands over in Kellemderiel. Either Duke Gryfyn or his followers, if he was killed, were supposed to be encouraging Kellemderiel to leave the Pact. According to Avadon's ending, at least some people agreed with what they were saying.

the creature in the lava screenshot kidna reminds me of the podlings from Geneforge, which gives me a little twinge of excitement that Jeff might be working towards a Genbeforge remake at soem point in the future.

Nice to see 'rebel lands' on the map. Looks like in Avadon 2 the rebels will have more of a unified presence-that would make me optimistic about a more fleshed-out rebel option.

Honestly, does Jeff deliberately pick the most boring looking screenshots to share?

Huh. Interesting thought. Is this something it would even be possible for Jeff to do better? I would love to know what would qualify as an "exciting" screenshot for a Spiderweb game. I like the games (duh, I mean, I've bought seven of them), but visual treats they are not. The graphics are just good enough to fuel the imagination, especially when augmented by Jeff's quality storytelling and descriptive skills - assets that a single picture can't really convey. I just don't know what Jeff could feasibly do to make "interesting" screenshots. If you have examples of what you think would qualify, please post them. I truly curious now whether this is an inherent limitation on Jeff's games, or if he really could market them a little better with some kind of judiciously staged screenshots.

Huh. Interesting thought. Is this something it would even be possible for Jeff to do better? I would love to know what would qualify as an "exciting" screenshot for a Spiderweb game. I like the games (duh, I mean, I've bought seven of them), but visual treats they are not. The graphics are just good enough to fuel the imagination, especially when augmented by Jeff's quality storytelling and descriptive skills - assets that a single picture can't really convey. I just don't know what Jeff could feasibly do to make "interesting" screenshots. If you have examples of what you think would qualify, please post them. I truly curious now whether this is an inherent limitation on Jeff's games, or if he really could market them a little better with some kind of judiciously staged screenshots.

I know what you're saying, and of course you're right, but a couple of those screenshots seem to be the party surrounded by a mass of flat, uninteresting land. Maybe there's a gate in the distance, or a road running through it, but still. Why not take screenshots in the midst of a big battle (not even a plot-central one, just a trash mob fight)? A screenshot in the middle of a big bustling city, with NPCs running around? There are loads of interesting looking places in these games which aren't being represented, in my opinion. Plus, and I don't know if it's because of the high resolution Jeff is playing at, or if there really are huge open spaces everywhere, but visually these images do nothing to pique my interest.

(and yeah, i like these games plenty, and jeff doesn't have to worry about making or losing a sale from me on the basis of these screenshots, but surely they can be made a little sexier for the people who have yet to buy?)

The only thing that gave me pause in the "new screenshots" post was the comment that the game will hopefully be out this fall. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the game release doesn't slip until winter, but that sounds like a possibility. However, on the bright side, it might mean that Jeff is building a big game with lots of wonderful content. Will feel better when we hear that the first beta has started.....

Honestly, does Jeff deliberately pick the most boring looking screenshots to share?

This thread is kind of humorous to me. I mean, I love Spiderweb games, but I can't really get excited about screenshots from up their upcoming releases. They really don't make the sorts of games that translate well to screenshots. It's like, "Huzzah! It's the same 20 or 30 art assets arranged in a slightly different order!"

But I do admit the geek in me was really excited to see that world map.

Yeah, maybe that's the problem. I admit that I wouldn't know how to make Jeff's games visually appealing in still form. And ramming them full of creatures would make them more visually varied, but that's probably not the way to go if you wanted to make them good.

I don't know. I know that these screenshots bore me, but I wouldn't know how to make them more interesting. On the other hand, I'm not customer who is going to be swayed by promotional material like this, so eh.

I think the still of the lightning animation looks more visually exciting than most of the others.

I also think that the screenshot of the map is neat, because it gives us cause to speculate on the plot of the upcoming sequel. (Same with the screenshot of the intro, where we all say, "Um, is that Nathalie?!")

I think that the "walking through random dungeon" screenshots are kind of boring, unless they showcase interesting new terrain graphics (which these don't).

So basically I think that screenshots should showcase animations, new graphics, and plot teasers.