What happens to forums are they dead?

Valdain the King

A lot of the oldbies have grown up and have adult responsibilities to attend to. Meanwhile, the younger ones are either afraid to misstep or insufficiently afraid. There are, as Nikki noted, ups and downs. We've had a couple of slow weeks, but actually the last year has been decently active, and has spawned several spin-off activities.

Edit: Apparently you were referring to a shorter time frame. In this, I agree that the lack of a recent release contributes, as well as the waning novelty of IPB. If you want to see more action, post more (non-meta) threads of your own, or come up with a new activity for us.

Blah. Who's afraid to "misstep"? It's probably true that things are stricter here than they ever have been, but that's not entirely a bad thing. And besides, its not like the moderating team are monsters (although several ARE lizards...) and are going to ban the first person to do something a bit stupid. In fact, silly things that are also funny tend to go over here pretty well.

Obviously I'm not saying post with complete abandon, but if people are actually reluctant to post because they're scared of the response they'll get from the moderating team, I'd say that's a pretty big concern.

I wasnt aware of that. I thought that all the people that jeff made moderators were 35 and younger.

Us 20-somethings are busy people too, you know! We've (some of us) got jobs, and school, and a growing nostalgia that needs CONSTANT attention. Now get off my lawn.

Blah. Who's afraid to "misstep"? It's probably true that things are stricter here than they ever have been, but that's not entirely a bad thing. And besides, its not like the moderating team are monsters (although several ARE lizards...) and are going to ban the first person to do something a bit stupid. In fact, silly things that are also funny tend to go over here pretty well.

Obviously I'm not saying post with complete abandon, but if people are actually reluctant to post because they're scared of the response they'll get from the moderating team, I'd say that's a pretty big concern.

Us 20-somethings are busy people too, you know! We've (some of us) got jobs, and school, and a growing nostalgia that needs CONSTANT attention. Now get off my lawn.

I feel nostalgic for having loved and played countless hours on spiderwebsoftwere games during my childhood. It´s sad really.

And on the topic of internet users not wanting to post on the ground that they would make an absolute fool of themselves, well : relativeley clean boards, users you come to know (that's rare really), appreciate and love... how's that threatening?

As for The emperor Hawthorne... let´s state that we went half-life on him with a steel crowbar and crossbows. That may be the reason were presently keeping quiet.

Edited by Upon Mars.

Discussing on forums is passé. The discussions are pretty much all by implant now.

—Alorael, who has seen plenty of dead and dying forums. Spiderweb is certainly not at its noisy peak, but it still gets quite a few posts in many sections every day. And there haven't been mass exoduses of people, either, just mostly the same people talking a little bit more slowly.

What happened to the forums Kris Kringle? Are they dead. Did emperor Hawthorn have something to do with it? Did the forums get a lobotomy? I'd really like to know because at this moment I am starting a new party in Avernum, haha

Yes. I killed the forums.

BOW TO ME MORTALS! I AM YOUR GOD NOW!

Discussing on forums is passé. The discussions are pretty much all by implant now.

Actually, I wonder if there isn't some truth to that. CalRef chat is live and doesn't have to be family friendly, making it an even more fulfilling outlet for random intellectual discussion than General. For me, at least, it contributes to my decreased postcount in recent weeks (for the last month or so, there's always someone in there-which wasn't true when I joined). Not that I'm complaining.

Actually, I wonder if there isn't some truth to that. CalRef chat is live and doesn't have to be family friendly, making it an even more fulfilling outlet for random intellectual discussion than General. For me, at least, it contributes to my decreased postcount in recent weeks (for the last month or so, there's always someone in there-which wasn't true when I joined). Not that I'm complaining.

QFT

On the other hand, CalRef is what... four or five active posters and a couple of people who rarely, if ever, post on Spiderweb, plus a few passers-by? That isn't to dismiss what you're saying, or to be negative about CalRef, but it's important not to overstate, I think.

Besides, I actually feel less welcome at CalRef than I used to, which goes some way to accounting for my absence from there recently. I haven't posted here instead, though. so for me at least I think it's just a lack of things I want to discuss in this community. *shrug*

fulfilling outlet for random intellectual discussion

what

the only time i can remember random intellectual discussion was when this line happened:

(20:21:46) Dantius: GOD [censored]ING [censored].

(20:22:15) Dantius: I leave for two hours and you people manage a discussion on libertarianism, society, regulation, Hobbes, religion, and education.

(20:22:22) Dantius: Then the second I come back it's ponies.

(20:22:25) Dantius: [censored].

four or five active posters

it's been a lot more active of late, usually 7-9 in every night, although a few are afk

Besides, I actually feel less welcome at CalRef than I used to

get your punk ass in the chat so i can fake online hug you

it's been a lot more active of late, usually 7-9 in every night, although a few are afk

Yeah I should have phrased that better. Of the 10 or so people who hang out there, only a handful are regular posters on these boards - Dintiradan, Slarty, Neb, and arguably even Nalyd and Iffy either haven't posted on SW in a long time, or post sporadically a best.

. . . I read every post made on these forums. :p Several times a day, I look at the View New Content page.They're my homepage, and they have been, without interruption, for years. I don't post much because I don't have much to say or don't feel comfortable saying things, not because CR devours my attention.