A message to our new overlord and master

keira

Tomorrow, we leave behind the false Idols of UBB. We enter a new age, leaving behind the fickle beings that haunted us and welcoming the benevolent forces of IPB.

Over the years we have sacrificed countless posts and members to the Idols, keeping them appeased and preventing our destruction. But this was not enough, for eventually these Idols chose to leave us.

We look to you, IPB, to carry us into the future, carry us to places we had only dreamed of under the Idols. In return, we offer what Spiderweb only can: Sanity. I have seen this future, and it has a name.

The future's name is Greg.

Greg, front and foremost, we ask of you one paramount thing. Care for us as the Idols could not. Protect us from the spambots that pound relentlessly against our walls. Bring us internal stability, so one can post a topic and not have to worry about it being eaten to appease a fickle god. Feed us pumpkin pie, as such pie is the pinnacle of all.

Our change to Your rule will not be without sacrifice. We look to you to make this sacrifice not without meaning. We leave behind a PM system loved and cherished throughout the land, the envy of all. We do not expect this from You, great and bountiful Greg. But we have heard many great things from those under Your rule, and we wish to be allotted these same things, for the benefit of all who dwell here.

We will not squander these boons You bring us. Your rule shall bring a new era to our history books. In the name of Greg, Spiderweb shall rise again, the next great Empire of the land. Our enemies shall fall, our allies shall share in our countless wealths.

Together, we shall shed the shackles we placed ourselves in

And we shall enter a new era

And under His guidance we shall prosper

And the future shall be ours.

I hate to say this, and I know that at this stage you won't hear it any way, but someday before too long, you'll remember these words, and maybe they'll help you then.

Greg is just another board infrastructure. He will have his faults. He will not be perfect. He will not give you the perfect pie you crave. He might not even give you any pie at all. Maybe he will still be the right board software for you, but you will have to work to make the relationship work.

I'm not sure just how many new forum architectures were considered, but since we're dropping UBB because it is going unsupported, I doubt we considered any services that promised active efforts at bringing us suffering and misery. At least not up front. As to whether it was in the fine print, well, let's just see how it goes, and hope.

That was the problem, you see. Without support you just kind of flop over, and it's very hard to waterboard like that. Good support is essential.

—Alorael, who can only imagine the structural requirements are higher if you need to withstand lava flows. And messages? The mind recoils from even considering such a thing.

Sadly, it comes too late. Hard disk failure and stubborn refusal to use the cloud means I lost a year's worth of PDNs. It also means I'm at risk of repeating, I guess.

—Alorael, who saw that feature and felt the loss all over again. Why now, tauntingly, when it only benefits others?

Actaeon isn't an oldbie, though (at least in comparison to Saunders).

Dikiyoba.

T-bone wasn't saying that Actaeon was, he was saying that saunders and Khoth are about as oldbie as it's possible to be (unless I'm missing sarcasm, I think you've mistakenly read "as oldbie as you can get" for something other than this).

For a moment there, I thought T-bone was a new member. And yes, Tyran's right. My observation about Facebook applies only to newbies like myself, not someone of Khoth's eminence.

bro you are old enough to have posted on desp when desp was a thing, that makes you pretty old

I had enough posts to get special filters set up just for me. Bits of that still turn up from the deep, murky end of the meme pool.

—Alorael, who finds that while he misses many Despers who are gone, he doesn't really miss Desperance. It succeeded at being deliberately abrasive.