Irritating

keira

Every so often the ubb decides that I don't browse the forum all that often and resets every post to unread.

It is vaguely irritating.

Marked in the above images are the areas in which the error occurs.

Out of curiosity why does this happen, and if it is because UBB is a needy whore can someone toss it a bone.

That's... weird. I've never seen that happen. (And I use Chrome. :p)

The read flag is definitely stored server-side. The only thing I can think of is that there's some kind of set-all-flags-to-unread request that it is possible to send the server unintentionally.

Folks who have had this happen: can you think of ANYTHING, however minor, that sometimes precedes it, but never precedes times that your read flags are preserved? For example, not having been automatically logged in after months of that being the case, clearing your cache, updating the version of your browser, not having logged in to SW in a long time, etc.

I was reading General (from that board, just clicking name of topic with unread posts), I hit the SW logo to get back to the board index, then swore because it had done this again.

No cache-clears, no cookie removing, none of that. I can't remember the last time I had to log in to SW. Although I use the nightly-build, It hadn't had a chance to update yet.

It happened in the middle of a session? Weird.

I do not regularly visit the board index page -- I do almost all of my browsing via the active topics list. Maybe that would explain why it has never happened to me. It could be a board index page bug. That is very believable for UBB.

Happened to me several times (always use FF) both towards all read and unread. I think it has something to do with the fact that I have my settings on clear cookies on exit. Sometimes when I leave and comeback it corrects itself, then again it could just be that because I only enter the forums that interest me I don't notice that the rest of the threads remain unread. Amd in case you haven't noticed at the bottom of all pages there's a button that marks all posts across the board (all forums and subforums) as read.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
I have the opposite problem. Every so often, UBB will decide that I have already read everything.

This makes more sense, as there is actually a button at the bottom of the page to mark all topics as read. That said, I've never had either one happen to me, and I use Firefox and never clear caches.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
You know how some browsers can be set to "pre-load" sites you are on, following all kinds of links and loading content invisibly so that there's no delay when you click on one? Could that be relevant for the people who've had everything marked as read?

My browser does not do this.