You Facts!

Slawbug

Hmm... I disagree. Not because I doubt Dikiyoba is non-gendered in real life but because it is an important and unique part of Diki's online persona. I mean, if its a big enough deal to cause Diki to chew Slarty out for forgetting it's something worth including.

Originally Posted By: Homage
Nikki's not the only flirt. Ain't that right, honeycake?

But you won't flirt with me anymore so you don't count. tongue

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that it's a big enough deal to cause hurt feelings is EXACTLY why that kind of personal stuff does not count as Facts. That stuff is serious. It isn't for fun. Stuff that is actually important to people and to their identity is exactly why I added the third rule.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Jewels in Black is probably more conservative than I am.

Bwahaha Hahahaha Ahahahahaha... Only when I wanna be. Slarty just reminded me yesterday of some of the things I've said and... you don't even wanna know. (That 1% get's me in trouble all the time.)

Also, anyone who's dared to read Fanciful Tales: Rebirth would disagree. It is not for the squeamish. wink

Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
Fanciful Tales: Rebirth

Bah, it's not nearly as bad as some parts of the original Fanciful Tales. Or maybe it is, and I'm just remembering wrong. I just remember there were certain collab posts that were, um, not for the squeamish. wink

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Is "Sylae likes ponies" too obvious? Should I go with "Sylae IS a pony"?
Originally Posted By: Slarty
3) No statements about anyone's real life identity. Those are not Facts.

Quote:
Let's see... some facts about me...

1. Is just some old crazy fart!

Is that Last of the Summer Wine guy? I'm scared.

Originally Posted By: Neb
Originally Posted By: Slarty
3) No statements about anyone's real life identity. Those are not Facts.
I think this is more in reference to things that could cause offense. such as "Is liberal", "is a serial-killer", "has a social security number of xxx-xx-xxxx", and such.

but hey on a serious note i am totally down with being a pony. it would explain a lot of things

Good question Neb! Here are my thoughts.

— "Real life identity" is not the same thing as "anything that may also be true about that person in real life." For example, it has been said about me on the forums that I have a tendency to spark pointless linguistic flamewars. Here's a real shocker: that's also true of me in real life. That would be fair game, though, as my stubborn descriptivism isn't really a part of my real life identity so much as an opinion or theoretical orientation I hold, that has been a real part of my character on the forums.

— The other question is whether it is really a part of forum lore. If I disappeared today, would people be saying several years down the line when my name came up, "oh, Slarty, he was that crazy descriptivist." Probably not. Sylae and ponies? Maybe, but Sylae has been around for a few years and the ponies only a few months. Time will tell.

Slarty,

Descriptivist is not a term that I would apply to you. Learned (two syllables) would be more applicable IMO.

Professorial, would also come to mind.

As to sparking linquistic flamewars, I always presumed that you were diligently trying to moderate this forum, to ensure that what someone posted here is interpreted accurately, and to try to fend off misunderstanding that could result in bad side effects. I believe it would be fair to say that this is something that is as much a part of in real life as it is here.

(I also find your phraseology fascinating. "Sparking a flamewar" forsooth. It adds color and depth to your posts, just as an artist uses a brush to paint a landscape.)

Unless y'all are much better at compartmentalizing than I am, I'd say most people's identities blur together. If Sylae is excited about something in real life, we're going to start hearing about it here. Presumably, this also works in reverse, although the only way I have of testing that is Facebook. Perhaps the line is whether something is well known to the entire community, or simply a few members with extra info. And, of course, it should probably be more unique or character defining than "Nikki likes Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or, I suppose, "Sylae likes ponies".

In any case, I have entirely failed to create a mythos for myself, so my understanding of how these things work is questionable at best.

Actually, I did a quick check and while I do post a fair amount, I'm not in the top five, and I'm pretty sure I'm not in the top ten. Many people, including both Trenton and Actaeon, post more frequently than I do now. I've just got the force of an extremely long time spent posting here to prop up my count.

—Alorael, who also gets a little boost from posts like this one.

Originally Posted By: What's left afterwards?
Actually, I did a quick check and while I do post a fair amount, I'm not in the top five, and I'm pretty sure I'm not in the top ten. Many people, including both Trenton and Actaeon, post more frequently than I do now. I've just got the force of an extremely long time spent posting here to prop up my count.

—Alorael, who also gets a little boost from posts like this one.

at this rate i'll have caught up with you in just a few years

Originally Posted By: Lilith
well it's not going to work if you reply to every post i make

QFT?

—Alorael, who is seriously going to have to go back to spamming the mod board where no one can see if you keep this up. Or maybe RWG, where you won't notice either. And delete his posts afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Originally Posted By: Triumph
What is RWG?

You will have known that RWG is Richard White Games five days before last Thursday.
Only if your implants are functioning correctly.

I believe an update was rolled out four days before next Wednesday.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Originally Posted By: Future Wonderbolt
Originally Posted By: !Pinkie Pie
1980 posts! Just a little left!

wtf is this

when did you pass me

slow the hell down

Episode 8: War of the Ponies

Silence, zebra scum! Your aggression towards the Empire of Equestria will not be tolerated!

Dear everyone,

please stop quoting the entire post directly above yours. It isn't necessary unless it's a long post and you want to single out the small bit you are addressing.

And if you're quoting a post from earlier in the thread that already has quotes in it, please consider trimming them down.

220px-Smokey3.jpg...CAN PREVENT QUOTE PYRAMIDS

Originally Posted By: δ³Σx²
everypony is best pony.

This. Although if I had to rank them, it would go Homage, RD, Vinyl for the top three.

Out of curiosity, has anyone found any decent-quality studies on a correlation between mane6 preference and personality type? I've anecdotally noticed some trends but I haven't seen it scientifically validated yet. I dunno, if it hasn't it would be something for me to consider setting up.