You Facts!

Slawbug

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Yeah, Slarty does so weird stuff sometimes- he posts NES screenshots, single-line bolded Courier New sentence fragments, starts projects and abandons them halfway through, etc, etc. You'll get used to it.

This comment caricaturing my presence on the forums was reposted elsewhere and generated a fair bit of laughter and appreciative remarks. It also reminded me of Alorael Facts. So I thought: why not expand the Facts?

This thread is an invitation to post more "Facts." Facts are things about a member that have already become part of forum tradition. This could include things they were known for doing on a regular basis (Alorael's PDN changes), saying on a regular basis (Ed's vegetable insults or TM's italicized DIE!), or fictional forum lore that has become established (everyone is Imban, Nikki pines for Aran, don't call Nico cute).

Two rules:

1) As they say on Wikipedia, no original research. This means that you cannot simply make something up and call it a Fact. Facts are things that someone is already known for and are at least slightly out of the ordinary.

2) No insults or negative comments about other members. If you are following rule #1, this should happen more or less automatically -- forum lore tends to be things that everyone can laugh at and/or be confused by, not things that put down others.

3) No statements about anyone's real life identity. Those are not Facts.

I will ruthlessly exclude any contributions that do not heed these rules, from my compilations. And oh yes, these will be compiled!

You can post Facts about yourself, or someone else. I'll toss out a few more examples to get things going.

Randomizer
— usually gives the traditional sanity greeting

Tyranicus
— is covered in woad and obsessed with Nethergate

Harehunter
— posts massive numbers of puns
— is a giant hare

Lilith
— writes cuttingly sarcastic posts in all lowercase

The Mystic
— is a packrat

Dikiyoba
— is a dikiyora

Dintiradan
— is an Evil Overlord
— always wears a large helmet

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see...

Rowen is big fan of Pikachu.

Nikki makes hilarious custom avatars / PDN puns based off the names of other forum members (so far, he's done it with song titles, and with Pokemon).

NEVER ask Dikiyoba about when Dikiyoba will write more.

Not about a specific person, but about the moderators collectively: NEVER ask for a custom title (I never did, and look at my nifty nifty custom title! Thanks again, BTW!).

Are certain forum members' reputations for behavior in AIMHack relevant? If so...Dantius starts forest fires.

Are these the proper kind of "facts" to share?

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Nikki makes hilarious custom avatars / PDN puns based off the names of other forum members (so far, he's done it with song titles, and with Pokemon).

I did a set before your time too, where I put my name into other peoples PDNs. For example, I was Nikkiyoba and Thralnik.

Also,I asked for a custom title maybe a month after joining, and I've had two. tongue I am prepared to accept I'm an exception to that rule though.

Anyway, I'll offer one. Tyranicus always dies.

These are all lovely!

I'm tempted to take up Dantius's bet, on the side of my not getting it done. I suppose that would be a conflict of interest though.

I do plan on getting this done. The final version will probably be bundled with the great big amazing surprise that will be bundled with the community history. This will happen. There will be some day, sometime in the future, that I complete like eight projects all at once.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S

Two rules:

1) As they say on Wikipedia, no original research. This means that you cannot simply make something up and call it a Fact. Facts are things that someone is already known for and are at least slightly out of the ordinary.

2) No insults or negative comments about other members. If you are following rule #1, this should happen more or less automatically -- forum lore tends to be things that everyone can laugh at and/or be confused by, not things that put down others.

3) No statements about anyone's real life identity. Those are not Facts.

Problem?

Fact about the forum in general: people make celebratory posts honoring themselves for having posted an arbitrarily large number of times. Tyranicus (I think? Usually?) then posts stuffing-the-post-with-vigor comic, and someone (Nikki?) posts the traditional more-optimal-spammer-than-thou quote.

And it would be a poor argument.
Italian is very clearly rooted in Latin. The inhabitants of Italy spoke Latin, which over the course of the last 1400 years, has evolved into Italian. Obviously, they are no longer the same language, but Italian is most definitely a direct descendant of Latin.
Originally Posted By: JamesMighty
You know, some of us (probably just me) would consider that offensive.
I apologize if I have caused offense, but I am unsure how I could have done so.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: JamesMighty
You know, some of us (probably just me) would consider that offensive.
I apologize if I have caused offense, but I am unsure how I could have done so.

You didn't offend me. This offended me:
And it would be a poor argument.

He was implying that if I argued that Latin Is Italian, it wouldn't be a good argument

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Isn't the more-optimal-spammer quote comparatively recent?

I'd like to say I made it up a while ago, but I have no sense of time when it comes to this community!

Anyway, Drakefyre is a 7 year old child. Also, he's probably Richard White.

Two rules:
And yet you posted three rules. tonguewink

The Mystic
— is a packrat
True, at least in terms of my Spiderweb gameplay. More facts:
  • IIRC, I once posted that I'm slightly psychic. (This was several years ago now, so the thread has most likely been lost to history.)
  • I've been known to hide in plain sight (though this is probably more of a "real life" thing).
  • I tend to add " tonguewink " to a post when I'm just kidding around, usually about something I just said in the post, and shouldn't be taken seriously.
  • I've made a habit of avoiding political threads.
  • I edit a lot of my posts, and usually uncheck the "Mark as Edited" when I do.
Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Isn't the more-optimal-spammer quote comparatively recent?
Yes. The earliest example that I know of comes from one of Nikki's posts in one of my old milestone threads. The first time it was quoted is also in this thread. Thus, a cool meme was born.

It is far, far, FAR older than that.

Actually, assuming that meme is my creation, I do think it was then that it was created. Before then, I just used to moan and be miserable in milestone threads. I will bow down to superior intellects and/or threads showing otherwise.

Anyway, another Fact: Rhapsody in Blue was Drakeyfyre's gretest contribution to the community, despite it being the greatest BoX scenario never released.

Pretty sure he didn't. I stopped speaking to Alex much earlier than this, and I think the only thing we ever did that crossed over to the forums was giving our little trinity new nicknames.

I somewhat remembered Dantius doing my joke better than I did, so Mystic's link seemed to fit with what I remembered.

Big Man Ani.

WHAT?! That's Impossible !!! Tyranicus was right about the first part (I hadn't realized that it would be so obvious) but there's NO way anyone could know about the last part. I guess it's because mods can see usernames as well as PDN's ?

Originally Posted By: Homage
Nioca, with his recent trend of cat avatars. First it was a cat on fire (possibly one before that, I cannot remember)

Catfish, right?

Eek! Forgot a Fact! Kelandon is the closest Spiderweb has to a Casanova (or at least he used to be).

Originally Posted By: BMA
Big Man Ani.

WHAT?! That's Impossible !!! Tyranicus was right about the first part (I hadn't realized that it would be so obvious) but there's NO way anyone could know about the last part. I guess it's because mods can see usernames as well as PDN's ?

Well, you told me. It's far from inconceivable that you told Slarty, also.

(Also, Facebook.)

Sylae edits every post on purpose to make a comment.

Better make sure you specify that Dikiyoba is a non-gendered dikiyora.

Mysterious Man likes to post while drunk.

Saunders quilts on the mod board.

ADoS collects and names stuffed animals.

Nikki is a shameless flirt. (He's the new Casanova) wink

*passes out teh huggles with an extra super duper squeeze for Excalibur*