Same universe?

Dire Hobbit

SoT: I actually had a great deal of trouble learning to drive without a deeper understanding of mechanics. People want to tell you how to use a clutch without explaining what it actually does. A couple of hours on Wikipedia were necessary for me to have any chance at all.

Harehunter: It's nothing personal. I actually appreciate most of what you have to say. Sometimes, though, it's like trying to hold a conversation with the Riddler.

I don't think this application of "transmission" is so confusing: it transmits the power generated by the engine to the wheels in the appropriate form needed to make the car do what you want.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Also, who was it that first had the idea to put the Latin words Trans and Mitto put together to form this word?

The Romans. Transmittere is a verb, and it means very blankly what trans (over) and mittere (send) do put together.

Someone at some time coined the word and applied that definition to it. Why not just call it the gearbox? That word also adequately describes the object.

Because the gear box is only part of the transmission. There's also driveshafts, universal joints, in some cars transfer cases as well. The transmission as whole is referring everything from the flywheel to how it connects to your wheels.

So, Cairo Jim, the transmission is a system of several components. Not many people see that. More often than not the word is used to the one component that is used to change the gear ratio between the crankshaft of the engine and the drive shaft that transmits the torque to the differential and then to the drive wheels. Now it becomes more clear why one word is chosen for a purpose over any other word.

I am still amazed by etymology, the process by which words come into existence in the first place, by how they can be co-opted to carry meanings quite different from their original purpose, how they come to be widely known, and how they fall into disuse as their function is replaced by other words.

@Actaeon, I know that my posts are often cryptic. I have found that it stimulates people into thinking through a conundrum for themselves. Sometimes, it is because I have these questions myself and I am seeking to confirm or invalidate my own theories. Often, I enjoy the mental exercise to hone my own problem solving circuits.

@Slarty, Yes the root words had been conjoined before their application to automobile mechanics, but the word transmitterre is still a compound word, and the root words were still free to happily combine with other root words to produce more compound words such as transcend, transpose, emit, omit.

So, Cairo Jim, the transmission is a system of several components. Not many people see that.

That's what autos are for. Most of the people that I know that drive manuals have some sort of understanding of how, at least partially, of how their transmission, mostly gearbox work.

@Slarty, Yes the root words had been conjoined before their application to automobile mechanics, but the word transmitterre is still a compound word, and the root words were still free to happily combine with other root words to produce more compound words such as transcend, transpose, emit, omit.

Applying affixes like "trans-" or "e-" is not really the same thing as creating a compound word like "newspaper" or (for an older example) "nightmare".

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the extended hibernation.

I suppose that you may be right. My thinking is that if a pair of words originally stood on their own, then were joined to form a third word is what I consider a compound word. For example Trans[/] meaning across and Port to carry, both words that were used separately in the earliest form of Latin, have been joined to become Transport, to carry across if used as a verb.

However, upon doing a little more digging, it turns out that although Trans- does carry a specific definition, unlike something like -er, it is used only as a prefix, never as an independent word, as the verb Port can be used. Ergo, I must concur that yours is the correct analysis. (And this is why I enjoy our debates; you give me that extra little push to dig deeply to support or debunk my theories.)

I found this article on Latin Roots, Prefixes, and Suffixes to be very interesting.

Hence my acquiescence on your point.

Edit:

I just realized that while the use of trans is only as a prefix, that applies only to the usage of it in English. In the original Latin the word trans was indeed it's own word, as a preposition. Therefore, the words that have trans in them are conjoined from separate root words. In re-reading the article of my previous post, I realized that I had missed one element that I had understood to be true, but had forgotten about. This was that the scholars of the day believed that Latin was a more perfect language than that vulgar Anglo-Saxon dialect that had predominated over Britania.

I always entertained the fancy that if you go back far enough in time, the Shapers from Geneforge are in fact derived from Vahnatai shapers, who at some cataclysmic event all migrated underground and started hibernating, and that geneforge/avernum are just vastly different points in time of the same universe.

Originally Posted By: Cairo Jim
That's the first time I've heard of it. [...] It doesn't really make sense.

Basically, the idea started when A4 came out and the term "Genevernum" or "Averforge" was coined to describe its heavily reliance on the Geneforge engine and graphics. Most notable in the graphics department is that the original version used the clawbug graphic for chitraches. Also, one of the Vahnatai magic user types is called a "Shaper" which to some people suggests is a sign that the vahnatai and the Geneforge Shapers have something in common, and not that Jeff likes to reuse names.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Also, one of the Vahnatai magic user types is called a "Shaper" which to some people suggests is a sign that the vahnatai and the Geneforge Shapers have something in common, and not that Jeff likes to reuse names.

Dikiyoba.

I thought of that. I think I may have heard that before, but I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
That's the first time I've heard of it. [...] It doesn't really make sense.

Basically, the idea started when A4 came out and the term "Genevernum" or "Averforge" was coined to describe its heavily reliance on the Geneforge engine and graphics. Most notable in the graphics department is that the original version used the clawbug graphic for chitraches. Also, one of the Vahnatai magic user types is called a "Shaper" which to some people suggests is a sign that the vahnatai and the Geneforge Shapers have something in common, and not that Jeff likes to reuse names.

Dikiyoba.

i'm pretty sure it was actually a thing even before Avernum 4, mostly because of the Shapers

You can have Africa if you want.
Originally Posted By: δ³Σx²
Originally Posted By: JamesMighty
Oh Avadon is some mystical island on a sea surrounding Averforge/Genernum whatever, and is so far away no ship has ever sailed to the lands of Lyneaus.

Read: Sholai

On that note, how does Greenland sound?

You can have Africa if you want.
Originally Posted By: δ³Σx²
Originally Posted By: JamesMighty
Oh Avadon is some mystical island on a sea surrounding Averforge/Genernum whatever, and is so far away no ship has ever sailed to the lands of Lyneaus.

Read: Sholai

On that note, how does Greenland sound?

Iceland sounds better

Empire lands would be more like 1500's Europe when they started to sail around the world and settled in every place they landed. Avernum would then be Australia.

Been years since I saw Valorim's map (if A3 even had it) so could be that its North America but then Avernum could be South American mine.