How do Jeff's customers break down by platform?

dave s

I'm not sure whether any of us can access the statistics on this. I doubt our limited population of forum members could serve as a sufficient sample size, but I'll volunteer my platform information anyway.

I'm currently a PC user. I used to be a die-hard Mac user back in the day, until my father offered to buy me a laptop a few years ago and refused to pay extra for a Mac. I believe I've played all the Spiderweb games on a Mac aside from Geneforge 5, Avernum 5 &6, and Avadon.

Mac App Store and iPad sales were higher than Jeff expected so he rewrote Avernum 6 to sell in the Mac App Store. I don't know how the breakdown for Steam is between the platforms.

Listen to Jeff here and about half way through he talks about how hard it was to convince Steam to sell Avadon. Also what Jeff would rather be doing than writing his next game. smile

Bucking the trend of what I perceive as an increasing composition of Jeff's market being Macs, I have been a lifelong PC user. I've worked on Macs before, and I find that the few changes in interface are to my general displeasure.

But really, there seem to be more similarities than differences, nowadays. I'll cite my source.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
But really, there seem to be more similarities than differences, nowadays. I'll cite my source.

If you're just going to cite a stupid source, you're better off not citing at all.

Dikiyoba is a PC user. Apple laptops tend to require a special adaptor for connecting to projectors and cost more, and it's not like Dikiyoba really pushes any limits when Dikiyoba edits photos, so PCs have a slight edge.

Right. Years ago Jeff cited 70-30 as the Mac to PC ratio. More recently it was 50-50. The App Store and Steam might tilt it one way or another.

—Alorael, who has become a recent part-time PC user. He's finding Windows 7 better than Vista, but he'd still take XP any day. They're all about equally unfamiliar territory. Maybe Windows 7 is similar enough to OS X to trigger the wrong instincts while XP still feels distinctly Windoid and stays firmly in the Windows mental compartment.

Yes. I'd heard a great deal about how Windows 7 was everything Vista was supposed to be, but it just manages to be okay.

—Alorael, who will admit to sticking with the outdated. By the time he switched to OS X, he jumped straight to 10.4. He'll give up AppleWorks when Lion takes it from his cold, dead Rosetta. And he has no idea what you're doing with your 256 colors; 16 should be enough for anyone.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
how Avadon is then spelled?

You're doing it right. smile

As for the pronunciation, to go by Jeff's interview (huh, he sounds a lot less gruff and bearded than I imagined tongue ), it's stressed on the first syllable, and all vowels are short.

This is how I was mentally pronouncing it already. I just tried a few alternatives, but none of them sound natural.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

If you're just going to cite a stupid source, you're better off not citing at all.

Dikiyoba is a PC user. Apple laptops tend to require a special adaptor for connecting to projectors and cost more, and it's not like Dikiyoba really pushes any limits when Dikiyoba edits photos, so PCs have a slight edge.

I take a offense at xkcd being labelled a "stupid source". Anyone with a sense of humor would appreciate Goldenking's obvious joke.

One purchases a Mac for the OS.

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
I take a offense at xkcd being labelled a "stupid source".

...you're offended by the fact that I don't like xkcd? Seriously?

Quote:
Anyone with a sense of humor would appreciate Goldenking's obvious joke.

...and so you responded by everyone who disagrees with you? Seriously?

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
I take a offense at xkcd being labelled a "stupid source".

...you're offended by the fact that I don't like xkcd? Seriously?

Quote:

Dikiyoba.

I think you're missing the point. Goldenking is poking fun at people on the Internet who use trivial or unreliable sources to back up their claims by citing a comic strip, which is clearly neither serious nor credible. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking xkcd, and it even jabs at xkcd fans who take the comic as divine revelation (yes, these people do exist), so it's certainly not a pro-xkcd joke.

I mean, I certainly got it. I think you took Goldenking's post at face value, which is always a risk when one is trying to be sarcastic or satirical on the Internet.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Goldenking is poking fun at people on the Internet who use trivial or unreliable sources to back up their claims by citing a comic strip, which is clearly neither serious nor credible.

I got that Goldenking wasn't making a serious argument, but it's hard for me to read his post as a complex joke the way you did, given that people cite (or more accurately, reference) xkcd on this board fairly often. I assumed it was simply another reference.

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=236883#Post236883

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=245800#Post245800

[Edit: Curses! Dikiyoba was foiled by copy and paste once again.]

clearly neither serious nor credible.

BLASPHE... no, wait a second... tongue

Only games that I've ever played on Macs were The Oregon Trail and Myst. Because that's what the school had. Back in 1998.

I've never been a true "PC guy", heck, if I had the money to drop, I'd buy a mac system with which to run Pro Tools in a heartbeat; but for my gaming and mainstream use, I prefer the modular modability that your standard PC provides, at significantly lower cost.

Having experienced all but the first public version of Windows, the death and rebirth of the Mac, and various Linux releases, my favorite OS is definitely Windows 2000. Good for what advanced features I needed, easy to navigate those advanced features (unlike XP), easy to customize, and not nearly the resource hog that subsequent OSes became.
I recall it having some features that clearly set it above '98, but it's been so long since I've used '98 that I don't remember what they were.

Windows 7 is nice, very user-friendly, definitely appeals to the masses, but as an advanced user, I find XP easier to manage.
Vista is not the devil, it is the spawn of the devil.
ME is the devil.

I use XP on my personal/project computer; my wife's computer and our netbook run Windows 7, and my workstation at the office runs Vista.
I'll be jumping up to 7 with the next computer I build, though. Even though XP is easier to manage, I still hate it. Windows 7, at least is nice. And we have the Internet to help troubleshooting now. Yay Internet!

The Silent Assassin's office computer dual-boots Ubuntu and Microsoft Bob. This is a ploy to distract would-be spies, as the only thing he actually uses his office computer for is browsing the Internet.
He does his CAD work on the DOS machine hooked up to the CNC lathe.

Originally Posted By: Necris Omega
I've only had exposure to the Macintosh platform through college, and even then only in my art courses.

I was a biology major in college, and found that pretty much every professor in the genetics/evolution dept. favored macs. Apparently, a good deal of phylogenetic tree software is mac-only.

Originally Posted By: Stugri-La
I've only had exposure to the Macintosh platform through college, and even then only in my art courses.

I was a biology major in college, and found that pretty much every professor in the genetics/evolution dept. favored macs. Apparently, a good deal of phylogenetic tree software is mac-only.

Phew, good thing I dodged that bullet then.

On the other hand, it's pretty much the exact opposite in civil engineering departments. Autodesk products are industry standard for everything from designing skyscrapers to sewers, and they only started offering Mac compatibility again very, very recently, which is almost certainly the biggest reason that I'm not a Mac person.

The reality is that most stuff people do on computers, you can do just fine on Windows or on Mac. Compatibility is much less of an issue than it once was -- it remains for some software, as Dantius points out, but is far less relevant for networking, say, than it was in the 90's. So it really is just a matter of price, personal preference, niche needs, or institutional defaults.

Originally Posted By: Grimmycakes
I've never been a true "PC guy", heck, if I had the money to drop, I'd buy a mac system with which to run Pro Tools in a heartbeat; but for my gaming and mainstream use, I prefer the modular modability that your standard PC provides, at significantly lower cost.
This is why my laptop is a Mac, and my desktop is a hackintosh.

Goldenking is poking fun at people on the Internet who use trivial or unreliable sources to back up their claims by citing a comic strip, which is clearly neither serious nor credible.

I got that Goldenking wasn't making a serious argument, but it's hard for me to read his post as a complex joke the way you did, given that people cite (or more accurately, reference) xkcd on this board fairly often. I assumed it was simply another reference.

Dantius has it right. Of course when we're discussing technical stuff, a mere webcomic isn't going to be of any serious value. I was contrasting my equally baseless perception of things, based on personal experience, with a comic on the topic that was just as baseless. It's a joke by comparison.

xkcd occasionally is either funny or indisputably correct in its analysis. More often that that, though, I'd say it just misses the mark entirely.

Quote:
Quote:

That said, my jab at xkcd was not meant to be so contentious. Let's try to keep this civil.

Dantius has it right. Of course when we're discussing technical stuff, a mere webcomic isn't going to be of any serious value. I was contrasting my equally baseless perception of things, based on personal experience, with a comic on the topic that was just as baseless. It's a joke by comparison.

xkcd occasionally is either funny or indisputably correct in its analysis. More often that that, though, I'd say it just misses the mark entirely.

Okay, fair enough. I misinterpreted your post. I apologize.

...and so you responded by [attacking] everyone who disagrees with you? Seriously?

...and Dikiyoba made a very embarrassing typo right in the middle of this mess. Oh dear.

The relevant issue is how many pixels Exile needs. Almost all the early color macs offered 640 x 480, and it quite definitely did not require a bigger screen than that.

Hmm, looking this up on Wikipedia, I see that indeed just about every early color mac defaulted to and supported 640 x 480, EXCEPT the original LC, which only supported 512 x 384. It came with a 12" monitor not a 14", however. The standard 640 x 480 Apple monitor was the Apple 13" monitor (which is now ringing a bell for me). The LC was also discontinued several years before Exile was released.

Not sure I could see Jeff revamping Exile for the various portable devices out there, though it would be neat to see. It's be really interesting to see how well such raw oldskool fairs in the age of wifi and Apple dominance.

He'd be hard pressed to come up with a better sale's title than "Glorious October Carnage" if he did, though.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
14" was the most common tube at that time, but remember, the actual display area was more like a 12" diagonal. When the flat panels came out, a 14" screen was an actual 14" in display area, equivalent to a 16" CRT.

by looking pictures it was LC or LC II and resolution couldn't be changed due low video memory.

House of S: yea but that didn't mean they couldn't be used.

Not sure I could see Jeff revamping Exile for the various portable devices out there, though it would be neat to see. It's be really interesting to see how well such raw oldskool fairs in the age of wifi and Apple dominance.
Now that Blades is Open-Sourced, the idea has been thrown around a bit with it...but the combination of needing to pay for the SDK and having to port it to Objective-C is...yeah

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
14" was the most common tube at that time, but remember, the actual display area was more like a 12" diagonal. When the flat panels came out, a 14" screen was an actual 14" in display area, equivalent to a 16" CRT.

Here I am reading this on 24" flatscreen. It boggles my mind when I think of the amazing advances I have witnessed in computer technology in just over two decades of my using them. I still get impressed when I open up my computer to clean it out. That GPU is huge! Harddrives are so big that I still have not filled even one 320 GB drive. The only harddrive I ever filled was a 256 MB drive.

My mind is blown. Its like my double rainbow.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
The only harddrive I ever filled was a 256 MB drive.

Back 25 years ago I came back from Winter break to be told the 40 MB hard drive was full on the computer. A couple of grad students had been taking data for three weeks and had filled it up. smile