Favorite Movies

BainIhrno

This has been asked before, I know, but I'd like to see what everyone's favorite's now are. I'll start:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Pan's Labyrinth

Honorable mentions:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy

Batman Begins

25th Hour

Vera Drake

No Country for Old Men

Laura

Come and See (which I didn't enjoy, but was very powerful)

I'm going to conveniently copy the movies I have listed on my Facebook profile. They're sort of in order, although 2001 is definitely my favorite film.

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Silence of the Lambs

Taxi Driver

Full Metal Jacket

The Sound of Music

Schindler's List

Gone With the Wind

Pulp Fiction

Turtles Can Fly

Contact

Winter's Bone

Forrest Gump

It's a Wonderful Life

A Clockwork Orange

Fiddler on the Roof

Casablanca

The Killing Fields

Blade Runner

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Yikes. I'll try to keep this brief. In no particular order:

* The Trip (1967)

* Easy Rider (1969)

* The Offence (1972)

* Altered States (1980)

* Evil Dead II (1987)

* A Clockwork Orange (1971)

* Tenebrae (1982)

* Yellow Submarine (1968)

* Dial M For Murder (1954)

* The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1967)

* The Believers (1982)

* The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

* The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

* Twelve Angry Men (1957)

* Witchfinder General (1968)

* The Hitcher (1986)

* Frenzy (1972)

* The Wicker Man (1973)

I'd have to say that my all-time favorite movie is Monty Python's The Holy Grail. The following list is a few of my other favorite movies in no particular order.

True Grit (The original John Wayne version)

The Shootist

The Goonies

Back to the Future I

It's A Wonderful Life

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

Escape From New York

Phone Booth

12 Angry Men (1997)

Superman I

And many others I don't have time to mention.

Post #610 cool

Offhand:

Independence Day

Inception

The Empire Strikes Back

Disney's Beauty and the Beast

The Bourne Identity

Monsters, Inc.

Disney's Aladdin

And some honorable mentions:

Secondhand Lions

Pirates of the Caribbean

Forrest Gump

Spider-Man 2

Bruce Almighty

I, Robot

The 6th Day

There are, of course, more, but these are the highlights.

If a survey of his viewing habits is any indication, The Silent Assassin's favorite films are Lon Cheney's Phantom of the Opera, Silence of the Lambs, The Graduate, and Legally Blonde.

... your guess is as good as mine on that last one.

It's nearly impossible to narrow it down to a short list, but I managed to limit myself to 10. In chronological order:

Bringing up baby (1938)

The ladykillers (1955)

Some like it hot (1959)

A man for all seasons (1966)

The Empire strikes back (1980)

Groundhog day (1993)

The wrong trousers (1993)

A time to kill (1996)

A midsummer night's dream (1999)

Intermission (2003)

Lord of the Rings is still my favorite in the fantasy&sci-fi genres. Also, I liked the first PotC movie very much. The third was epic as well, but it only just managed to redeem the atrocious second. (At least they weren't the Matrix sequels.) As for more classical works, I really liked Forrest Gump.

I'll also include The Golden Compass, but with the qualifier that I only liked it when I thought they'd make the whole trilogy.

The Harry Potter movies started off very well, but starting around the fifth or so, they didn't really do the books justice. I've had lots of gripes about them, but the most recent one was the Narm in Harry Potter's "dead-and-talking-to-Dumbledore" scene. It's one of the most powerful and moving scenes in the book, where Harry is really, seriously faced with the choice to just die and chooses to continue, the acting sort of transforms it into a clichéd "near-death-experience, talk to dead mentor, acquire plot exposition, wake up" cutscene. At the point where Dumbledore said "On.", the movie theatre burst out giggling. Rant ends.

Also this is technically a series, but due to the strong plot arc I'd name Game of Thrones.

There are a few I've always meant to see but haven't, such as Inception, Avatar and Crimson Tide, and perhaps Sucker Punch.

Originally Posted By: Aran@Home
It's one of the most powerful and moving scenes in the book, where Harry is really, seriously faced with the choice to just die and chooses to continue, the acting sort of transforms it into a clichéd "near-death-experience, talk to dead mentor, acquire plot exposition, wake up" cutscene.

To be honest, that's what I thought about the scene in the book.

Off-hand, here is an abbreviated list from me, in no particular order.

-In Bruges
-Once
-Redneck Zombies
-Benny and Joon
-The Rutles
-Without a Clue(best Sherlock Holmes movie ever)
-Kick-Ass
-Hot Fuzz
-Gloomy Sunday

ES, The Thing is indeed awesome, and very visually impressive for its time. I watched it only a couple years ago, but have unfortunately forgotten some salient points. Ah, well, this tendency of mine does ensure that I will never run out of audio/visual media to consume.

Micawber, props for the older films. I think besides the two of us, only Dantius has listed a significant amount of 'em. Props as well for including The Wrong Trousers; I'd almost forgotten about Wallace & Gromit, but of course they were tremendous!

Aran, I'd certainly recommend Inception. I had the fortune of being able to watch it on the console in my plane while on a flight to India late last year. It's quite brilliant and involving. More deeply frightening than most actual horror films, as well.

There's rather less overlap amongst all these lists than I expected.

I could list a lot of movies that I like, but very few that stand out to me the way the best books do: when both the narrative and the medium's mechanics are bursting with life.

Titus

Spirited Away

Originally Posted By: Lilith
i tell people my favourite movie is 12 Angry Men

I liked that movie up until the end, in which I was wholly unsatisfied with the final dissenter changing his vote for no reason I could discern.

I'll second the praise for Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, the newest Batman incarnations, No Country for Old Men, Up, Forrest Gump, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monster's Inc., Pirates of the Caribbean, the original Matrix, I Robot, The Lion King, Spirited away, .

Inception is good.

As far as Disney-type movies go, I'll add WALL•E and Finding Nemo.

The Notebook is the generic representative of the romance type of movies that I sometimes enjoy watching.

Hot Tub Time Machine and The Hangover are not good movies. They're easy movies, though, to detune your mind with. Sometimes that's good.

Dead Poet's Society and Jakob the Liar both shaped my opinion of Robin Williams as one of my favorite actors.

Edward Scissorhands is a classic in my book.

Resolved is a documentary about the high school policy debate community in the United States. As a member of that niche community, I highly enjoyed this film.

As far as just plain art movies goes, I'd like to forward Can Dialectics Break Bricks? Situationist in nature and wholly a piece of Marxist propaganda pasted onto a kung-fu action movie, it is grandiose in its absurdity.

Originally Posted By: Trenton the dragon lord
Basically anything from disney. They make great movies, and they often include many musical songs.

What other type of songs are there?

Since Slarty brought up Spirited Away, I can probably get away with saying this now. Whenever people ask me my favourite films, Spirited Away usually tops my list, but I don't actually think it's my favourite Studio Ghibli film. There are maybe four that I would have pretty serious trouble trying to place in order: Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies and Kiki's Delivery Service (and even whilst thinking of those, I wanted to put Howl's Moving Castle and maybe, just maybe The Borrower Arietty in there. So, I reckon, for the sake of this, I'm going to list Studio Ghibli films as one of my favourites, because otherwise, I'm going to edit the post a million times.

The Matrix is also there, and Alien. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind probably deserves a mention too. That's all that immediately comes to mind.

EDIT: OH GOODNESS, AND The Breakfast Club!!

In no particular order:

Mel Brook's The Twelve Chairs

James Bond's Goldfinger

-- Bond, "Goldfinger, do you expect me talk to talk?'

-- Goldfinger, "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

Batman (1966)

-- I prefer the original to the remakes. smile

Lord of the Rings trilogy

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Fiddler on the Roof

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

It's a Mad. Mad, Mad World

The Magic Christian

-- which ought to appeal to members here as Sir Guy (Peter Sellers) adopts a hobo Youngman (Ringo Starr) and teaches him the family business of practical jokes to expose society's flaws.

and for a foreign film from Israel:

Sallah

which manages to mock so many things and is understandable with subtitles.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
The Magic Christian
-- which ought to appeal to members here as Sir Guy (Peter Sellers) adopts a hobo Youngman (Ringo Starr) and teaches him the family business of practical jokes to expose society's flaws.

Randomizer, I'm glad to see your endorsement of this one. I've been considering procuring it, but wasn't sure if it would be worthwhile. I recently watched another late-'60s film called Candy, which also featured Ringo in a moderate role. It was no great shakes by any objective standard, but it still had this wackiness that was very endearing. There's just something about films that date from the psychedelic era!

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
I liked that movie up until the end, in which I was wholly unsatisfied with the final dissenter changing his vote for no reason I could discern.

spoiler-taggin' this in case anyone really cares about spoilers for a movie from 1957

Click to reveal..
he changed his vote because he realised that the only reason he was so determined to convict was that the accused reminded him of his estranged son

seriously that's pretty much it

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
I'm curious, how does the Spiderweb community feel about The Gods Must Be Crazy?

Absolutely love it. One of the many titles that got left out of honorable mention on my list.

-does quick research-
Alas, can only find it pre-owned, and a little pricier than the entertainment budget allows. And the guy who's trying to sell it for $95 through Barnes and Noble is most definitely crazy.