Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple

Tyranicus

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I think it might just be newer operating systems, ie. Windows 7.
Not having a Windows box in front of me at the moment and not really feeling like firing up a VM right now to check, I really couldn't say. I do know that Control-Option-Command-8 has inverted the screen on OS X at least since Tiger.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
It is the end of an era. Steve Jobs has been the CEO of Apple since 1997. At that time, the company was almost dead in the water. Now, it has more money than any other US company. He led Apple during the development of the iPod, the most popular brand of portable music player ever made and the iPhone, which completely revolutionized the smartphone scene.

Oh hey, I'll leave this here then. Don't mind me, just passing by...

koma-comic-strip-csi-apple.jpg

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I've seen that base image who knows how many times, and only just now have I realized that he's putting on a second pair of sunglasses.

Mind Blown.

CSI: Miami. I remember watching that show. His one-liners never got better; in fact, they seemed only to decline from episode one.

I resurrect this thread to observe that I seem to be feeling a surprising amount of grief at the prospect that Jobs may soon die. Not weeping in my corn flakes, by any means, but it bothers me more than if I were to learn that some random other rich person had terminal cancer.

I've never understood that Jobs was a particularly nice guy, personally. His rare public comments are consistently decent enough that you don't have to cringe for him or his company, but all that really says is that his PR is competent. So, given that I don't know the man at all, I presume my emotional stake is purely selfish. I'm regretting the prospect of losing something that Steve Jobs has provided.

As a kid waiting for Christmas I would pore over toy catalogs, and if some plastic contraption caught my fancy, I would imagine it as totally awesome. Normally the item itself was by no means so fantastic, but sometimes it would be just good enough that my imaginary game of 'awesome toy!' could be sustainable, especially if there were good commercials for it on TV, and my friends were sharing the buzz.

I think the real point of Jobs's famous 'reality distortion field' is that he has long understood how this game works. The product itself does have to be good enough, or you can't get the 'Awesome!' game going. Moreover, it has to be good in a lot of little ways, that may not be at all practically important. Little details that don't work well enough can prick the bubble of enthusiasm, interrupt the game, remind you that you're just playing with a plastic toy like many others. But given a good enough basic product, and a high enough level of finish, the only other thing you need is some charismatic encouragement to play the game of enthusiasm. When all these things are in place, you can have the little kid's Christmas morning buzz, even as an adult.

To say that all that is illusion is to miss the point, I think. It's something that happens inside my own brain, instead of in my A5 chip, but it's as real as I am. I think Steve got this. I can't think of anyone else in the electronics industry that really has. If he's gone, will it still be there?

If it disappears, I obviously won't suffer seriously, but a little source of satisfaction in my life will be gone. It's something at the level of the discontinuation of a favorite chocolate bar, or the brand of peanut butter I've liked since I was a kid. A small joy, but I've come to count on it as such, and I'd rather not lose it.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
To say that all that is illusion is to miss the point, I think. It's something that happens inside my own brain, instead of in my A5 chip, but it's as real as I am. I think Steve got this. I can't think of anyone else in the electronics industry that really has. If he's gone, will it still be there?

for what it's worth Steve Jobs has been grooming Tim Cook to take over for him for years now, and Cook has been taking on increasing levels of responsibility for Apple's operations since long before this announcement

i know Apple has kind of a bad history with people other than Steve running the show, but this isn't 1993 and Tim Cook isn't Gilbert Amelio

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Thus ending speculation on when he will return to Apple.

In other news, Apple just started scouting for a professional medium.

It's sad he died at 56. I'm not much for Apple, but he really revolutionized the personal computer. frown

At least Woz is still around.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytar
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Thus ending speculation on when he will return to Apple.

In other news, Apple just started scouting for a professional medium.

It's sad he died at 56. I'm not much for Apple, but he really revolutionized the personal computer. frown

At least Woz is still around.
Yeah, it's actually kinda disgusting how the article Tyran linked lists his achievements as "iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac and iTunes".

Well, what should his achievements have been? Apple is too broad. Apple computers and Mac OS are great for those who love him, but they've never had the huge traction that the iThings have.

—Alorael, who imagines Apple's stock will take a plunge, and then things will move on. He just hopes that Apple keeps hold of its idea of emphasizing human interface and design. The world doesn't need two Microsofts.

Originally Posted By: Polaran
Originally Posted By: In memory of the forgetful
—Alorael, who imagines Apple's stock will take a plunge

I think the brunt of the shock will have been headed off by his earlier resignation. That was probably the intention, at least.
Or, you know, to spend time with his family before he died.

Well, what should his achievements have been? Apple is too broad. Apple computers and Mac OS are great for those who love him, but they've never had the huge traction that the iThings have.

The man revolutionized the personal computer with the Apple II and, again, with the Macintosh. Anyone using a computer today knows this--or should. I'm still learning things about him. His fascination with fonts comes from studying calligraphy. The Apple name comes from a summer working on an Oregon orchard.

RIP, Steve.

Originally Posted By: Eerie Postscience
Well, what should his achievements have been?
Toy Story?

I know it probably seems as if I'm being flippant, but I'm really not - I had no idea he founded (co-founded?) Pixar, and with that being arguably one of the best animation studios in the world, it's probably worth mentioning.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
Well, what should his achievements have been?
Toy Story?

I know it probably seems as if I'm being flippant, but I'm really not - I had no idea he founded (co-founded?) Pixar, and with that being arguably one of the best animation studios in the world, it's probably worth mentioning.

Pixar has an unprecedented string of hits. That is an amazing legacy all by itself.

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
Well, what should his achievements have been? Apple is too broad. Apple computers and Mac OS are great for those who love him, but they've never had the huge traction that the things have.

The man revolutionized the personal computer with the Apple II and, again, with the Macintosh. Anyone using a computer today knows this--or should.

At the time Steve invented the Apple II computer, Personal Computers looked like this 664px-Altair_8800_Computer.jpg .

I'm not so sure. Apple popularized the mouse and the window-based GUI, but both were originally from Xerox. Apple stayed ahead of the curve for a long time (and I'd argue they're still there), but I'm not sure that was really a crowning achievement. Important, yes, but the paradigm shift was coming.

On the other hand, that's the Apple story in a nutshell. Don't do it first, just put the pieces together first, do it better, and make it sell.

—Alorael, who will again say that Pixar isn't Steve Jobs's achievement. He founded it, but Pixar wasn't under his constant and deep scrutiny the way Apple was.

I've already posted my lament for Steve Jobs. He had a remarkable life.

I saw an Apple ][ at a friend's house sometime in the 80's, I think. I remember playing some games on it, and being pretty jealous of its high resolution graphics and color display. It was expensive. Home computers (as they were then called) were just coming in, and the Apple ][ was kind of the Mercedes-Benz of the category. Widely considered overpriced, but acknowledged to be a better machine. Then IBM entered the game with its PC. I don't remember it being much cheaper, but it seemed to clearly beat the Apple machines on specs. Once the clones came in — 'IBM compatibles' as they were first called, before it became clear that IBM didn't own the 'PC' mark — the prices came down as well, and Apple no longer had much luster for high school geeks. The first Macintosh was a neat little box, all right, but its small monochrome display seemed like a big step back. I don't remember noticing the whole mouse and windows thing much; it didn't seem like a big deal. Running more than one app at a time, or doing things without typing, weren't really on the radar. Computers were keyboard machines for doing one thing at a time, like typewriters, only fancier.

By the time I'd gotten used to multi-tasking operating systems (Unix, Linux, Windows) the old Mac OS seemed weird and awkward to me. It bothered me that the machine seemed to be doing things that I couldn't see. I wanted a row of shrunken icons on my screen, to keep tabs on them. When Jobs got fired and Apple sank to its nadir, I wasn't even paying attention. There was a NeXT workstation in an office around the corner while I was a grad student, and it was really impressive. It made all the other computers look old-fashioned. But I never associated it with Steve Jobs. Even when he returned to Apple, I saw some of the first iMacs on a sidewalk in Tokyo, after a conference there, and thought they were stupidly ugly. More nasty stuff from Apple; how were they still in business?

Then the G4 Cube came out, and I thought it was pretty cool. The 'desklamp' iMac design seemed even slicker, and the fact that OS X was a Unix under the hood closed the deal. As far as I was concerned, that was where Apple had lift-off. It started consistently putting together industrial design, internal hardware, and software, in a way that nobody else quite had before, and that nobody else seems to be able to do quite as well yet.

Steve Jobs didn't make the stuff personally. Apple is a big company. He made Apple. We'll really see what he made, when we see what Apple is doing ten years from now.

But what a damn shame Steve Jobs won't be there to tell us about it.

On the other hand, that's the Apple story in a nutshell. Don't do it first, just put the pieces together first, do it better, and make it sell.

This.

Apple is the David Bowie of the computer world. (And seriously, if those late 80's albums aren't a good analogy for the Newton, I don't know what is.)

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S

This.

Apple is the David Bowie of the computer world. (And seriously, if those late 80's albums aren't a good analogy for the Newton, I don't know what is.)

Jobs' skinny jeans weren't nearly tight enough for the comparison to be apt.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S

This.

Jobs' skinny jeans weren't nearly tight enough for the comparison to be apt.

I hoped and prayed that I would have chance to do this again. Spoiled so as not to inflict this upon people too young to have watched Labyrinth.

Click to reveal..

crotch.jpg

People stared at the icons on his phone

Laughed at his white earbuds, his HyperTalk moan

The boy in the dull black pants

Jumped up on the stage

And Stevie Stardust sang his songs

Of darkness and disgrace

And he was alright, the brand was altogether

Yes he was alright, the stock went on forever

And he was awful rich

Got them out of the ditch

And he sang all night long

Originally Posted By: Nikki
I hoped and prayed that I would have chance to do this again. Spoiled so as not to inflict this upon people too young to have watched Labyrinth.

A, that spoiler just broke my browser. B, you should read Tad Williams' The War of the Flowers. It's pretty much impossible not to picture the main character as David Bowie in the Goblin King role (the only thing missing are the pants, and Dikiyoba is sure you'll have no trouble imagining those.)

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Nikki

A, that spoiler just broke my browser. B, you should read Tad Williams' The War of the Flowers. It's pretty much impossible not to picture the main character as David Bowie in the Goblin King role (the only thing missing are the pants, and Dikiyoba is sure you'll have no trouble imagining those.)

You should not read The War of the Flowers. Most of Williams's stuff is great, but WotF is mediocre to good, and its main draw is prescience that would have been more impressive if the gap between writing and publishing had been shorter.

—Alorael, who would prefer to think of Steve Jobs as the Japan of the computer world. No, wait...

Making it ten pages into a book isn't not liking it and putting it down. That's just not actually starting to read.

—Alorael, who will generally give a book about a hundred pages to hook his interest. If it hasn't, he'll usually read it anyway, because he's like that, but he'll grumble about it. A book has to be very, very bad for him to give up on it once he has invested that first bit of reading.

Originally Posted By: S&M Adventurer
So the Westboro Baptist Church announced that it's going to protest Jobs' funeral--an announcement they made on Twitter via iPhone. Epic hypocrisy.
Wait, so was Jobs a homosexual/Jewish/Catholic/soldier/Chinese/tornado victim/9-11 victim/Democrat?

Not only that, he was also God.

(The WBC spokesloony said the iPhone thing wasn't hypocrisy, since it was a creation of God, not man.)

Originally Posted By: S&M Adventurer
So the Westboro Baptist Church announced that it's going to protest Jobs' funeral--an announcement they made on Twitter via iPhone. Epic hypocrisy.
Wait, so was Jobs a homosexual/Jewish/Catholic/soldier/Chinese/tornado victim/9-11 victim/Democrat?

Clearly, he's a Muslim, since his father was from Syria.

What? It's a stronger connection than the ones for "Obama are muslim!", and plenty of people still seem to think that.

Originally Posted By: like the aphex twins in here

Click to reveal..

crotch.jpg

On an utterly unrelated note, I just remembered I wanted to get back into an Aimhack session one of these days.