Hmmmmm ...

Student of Trinity

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Unless I am totally mistaken,

1) Erasmus was in Quest for Glory, not the Legend of Kyrandia, and
2) Nikki is probably being reminded of Erasmus of Rotterdam, the historical person.

Odd I could have sworn that was the name of the old mage in Kyrandia. If Erasmus wasn't his name, then what was?
Both ways an essay about quest for glory still sounds fun smile

(I knew about the other meaning of the name (just about it belonging to a historical figure, not who that figure was), but I was being whimsical).

That was Mallak. Mallak was the advisor of King William, Brandon's father, and he brought Brandon up as his grandson after the king was killed -- he was not his real grandfather. (There's gotta be a tvtropes page for that.)

So Mallak's dramatic revelation was "No Brandon- I am not your [grand]father!"? That's a twist on the classic pattern...

Is it? I think the classic pattern tends to involve "this person who brought you up is not your real father/whatever. actually, this king/hero/wizard/sith is!"

So you're saying I should have gone with the KotOR joke on the Mallak angle, instead of the ESB joke on the "your father" angle?

"On my deathbed, dear child, I must confess. I raised you from an infant, and only when you came of age did I reveal that you were the only living heir to the deposed king. Well, uh, I lied. Yeah, you're just my grandson. Your parents died of Plot-Related Plague, and the dictator was totally a jerk, and I figured I could totally raise a better ruler than that. So... hey, at least you got a spiffy crown, right?"

—Alorael, who wonders how many heroes wander around with entirely false notions of their family trees. Their enemies are their fathers, their grandfathers are actually just wise mentors, and there's probably at least one god and possibly one inanimate object in their recent ancestry.

Originally Posted By: Sublime Suffering

—Alorael, who wonders how many heroes wander around with entirely false notions of their family trees. Their enemies are their fathers, their grandfathers are actually just wise mentors, and there's probably at least one god and possibly one inanimate object in their recent ancestry.

See Alexander of Macedon (i.e. the great). He was told by his mother all of his childhood that he was the son of god and a god himself and ended conquering a very large percentage of the (then) known world (and although I could have sworn he also conquered west of Greece wikipedia shows he conquered only eastwards). So he probably answers a large part of your hero plot line (for lack of a better name) definition.

Citation please? I know it's been suggested that Alexander was brought up being told that, mainly as a result of strange things his mother said, but not all recorded evidence lines up that way. Furthermore, it seems quite at odds with (1) a military brat exposed to the realities of war from a young age, and (2) someone famously tutored -- possibly the most famous tutelage ever -- by Aristotle.

Aristotle would probably not have let something like that just slip by.

I never heard anything about Alexander being brought up to believe he was divine. I think maybe he did later set up as some sort of demigod in Egypt, after he conquered it. But you have to remember: what happens in Egypt, stays in Egypt.

Plutarch Alexander 3.2:

Moreover, Olympias, as Eratosthenes says, when she sent Alexander forth upon his great expedition, told him, and him alone, the secret of his begetting, and bade him have purposes worthy of his birth. Others, on the contrary, say that she repudiated the idea, and said: ‘Alexander must cease slandering me to Hera.’

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0243%3Achapter%3D3%3Asection%3D2

You'll understand the text better if you start reading from the beginning (i.e. Alex. 1.1 or 2.1).

So either his mother was telling him that, or he was telling others that, but either was it was being said smile

And you also need to remember that a woman's opinion in the Hellenistic and pre-Hellenistic world (not including Gaul Britain and Ireland) didn't amount to much as they were a small step above slaves.

As I said, the ancient evidence from different authors is inconclusive. In your Plutarch quote, he mentions that some reporters disagree. When there are multiple sources providing conflicting stories, you can hardly take either source at face value. The fact that one source says he was brought up this way does not make it fact.

It's true, the only thing we know for sure is that we know nothing but assume a lot.

It all depends on what constitutes as enough proof, and the more you delve into history the less proof you have.

You might as well say that dinosaurs didn't really exist but are an ongoing hoax by archeologists (or by god for that matter, creationalists do insist that god created the world OLD), there's no way to repudiate this.

Did the dodo ever exist? You only have hear say of its existence just like you have of the loch ness monster.

It all comes down to what belief is acceptable enough for you to believe in it.

Originally Posted By: Erasmus

Did the dodo ever exist? You only have hear say of its existence just like you have of the loch ness monster.

It all comes down to what belief is acceptable enough for you to believe in it.

do the many stuffed and mounted dodos and historic documents containing studies and drawings of dodos not constitute as proof for some reason?