A whole year of homework...

Balladeer

...just for this.

Makeover.zip (91.5kb)

Sitemap

Still a bit crude but a definite improvement. Not all the links are working yet as its just a prototype but its good enough for a beta test, yes? If you see anything that doesn't look good on your browser, take a screenshot and let me know. It'll be much appreciated.

Next step is to learn JavaScript and fix those drop-down menus.

You guys are so much work...

I uploaded it so there's no download. Still don't expect all the links to work and currently I've noticed the issue with visited links keeping the visited color on subsequent hovers. Not sure how to fix it yet... Might just have to change my background hover color to compensate.

Then I have no idea why the Contact button doesn't work like the rest. It's set up exactly like all the rest unless I made a typo somewhere.

Feedback plz.

Prototype

I'm formally learning how to build webpages and software. Going for a BSIT-SE. (Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a Concentration in Software Engineering). As part of my homework, they let me update an existing website. So this prototype utilizes a CSS (cascading style sheet) which makes it easier to change the look of my whole website by only changing one file. At least if every page is set up to respond to the CSS it does. The SWArchive link goes to a reworked page, but the rest of the links either don't exist yet or go to the original pages. You won't break anything by clicking on them.

@Nikki The download is smaller than most scenarios. Y'all are just being difficult. tongue

I've spent a good two-three hours trying to find just the right background. I didn't think I'd found it either, but homework has a deadline. I'll keep looking.

Edit: Looks like the contact button problem I had was also an issue with the link being visited. I'll have to work on that.

Personally, I hate having scrollbars within web pages anyway. Scrollbars on static dialogue boxes are one thing, because the scrollbars always appear in the same place. But on a web page their position can vary as you scroll the page itself up and down. Something about that just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Personally, I hate having scrollbars within web pages anyway. Scrollbars on static dialogue boxes are one thing, because the scrollbars always appear in the same place. But on a web page their position can vary as you scroll the page itself up and down. Something about that just gives me the heebie-jeebies.
This. Other than that though, I like the new layout.

The background is just something I made at grsites.com. I've tried close to 20 different ones but they never seem to be quite right. I might have to look elsewhere or go with a solid color.

If anyone has any suggestions for a better background I'm listening.

Didn't have a rubric... could maybe make one.

@Matanbuchus Can you be more specific? Background aside, what makes it busy?

Quote:
Can you be more specific? Background aside, what makes it busy?

I also had this impression (of busyness) at first glance. I think it has to do with the fact that, while there is a cohesive color scheme, there are a lot of different textures which catch the eye. There's the plain purple background, the blurry cloudy background, the knot-like edge patterns, the gradients behind the boxes on the right and in the middle, and the different gradient behind the various items at the top.

I think that a solid color (though it need not be identical to the solid color to the sides) might work better for the background. The blurriness of the current one seems distracting to me, when I try to focus on it showing between the foreground items, but can't.

A minor nitpick: For some reason the page ends up with a horizontal scrollbar for me (using Safari on Mac OS, with a screen set to 1440 pixels wide and the window using that full width), even though all of the actual page content is in the narrow central column, and there are only a few pixels of space off the right side.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
A minor nitpick: For some reason the page ends up with a horizontal scrollbar for me (using Safari on Mac OS, with a screen set to 1440 pixels wide and the window using that full width), even though all of the actual page content is in the narrow central column, and there are only a few pixels of space off the right side.

I get the same horizontal scrollbar using Firefox on a Mac.

I got another horizontal scrollbar here. I'm running Firefox on Windows XP.

I agree that the current background behind the text is very distracting. I took it upon myself to swap the blurry background and the solid color one, just to see how it looks. I think it looks much better that way, but the blurry background still wants to draw my attention away from the rest of the page. I think if there wasn't so much contrast or if the color transitions were a little sharper it wouldn't be as bad.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Quote:
Can you be more specific? Background aside, what makes it busy?

I also had this impression (of busyness) at first glance. I think it has to do with the fact that, while there is a cohesive color scheme, there are a lot of different textures which catch the eye. There's the plain purple background, the blurry cloudy background, the knot-like edge patterns, the gradients behind the boxes on the right and in the middle, and the different gradient behind the various items at the top.

This.

I also think that both the header and the menu don't fit the rest of the site, graphicswise. Might be the font, might be the round shapes in the otherwise wery rectangular design, dunno.

I think I found my background. Took one of shyguy's terrain carpets, brightened, and blurred it. Me like.

Also changed out the image buttons for CSS ones. Not too pretty when you enlarge the text but I'm not sure how to compensate for that yet... Maybe make the current buttons into images that will at least match everything else?

As for the horizontal scroll bar, I'll likely have to edit my horizontal border images in order to decrease the width of the page. I made it just big enough to catch the end of one of those blocks.

Quote:
As for the horizontal scroll bar, I'll likely have to edit my horizontal border images in order to decrease the width of the page. I made it just big enough to catch the end of one of those blocks.
The horizontal scrollbar is due to a little line of code in your updatetext container: <overflow:scroll;>. This gives you scrollbars, if you need them or not. Try <overflow:auto;> instead.

And for dropdown menues, you want Suckerfish.

Thumbs up, Jewels! smile

You can use colour just to create a nice look, you can also use it to guide the eye and let it go to and rest on whatever section of the page is your priority. It depends on what you want to do with the page.

• 2 months later...

Part 2: PixPro

http://www.kfandale.com/web505/Traci/index.htm

It's not exactly how I would keep it since I haven't linked it to TrueSite. That's more for the classroom homework purposes, but it uses the same CSS file as the other one so integration is in process.

Still working on that JavaScript... just need to find the time to read my textbooks. Four kids, four jobs, and a sudden lack of wireless internet... Boo. Boo I say.

Edit: TrueSite needs a logo. Any takers on working something out for me?

Oops, I looked at it and wrote up some comments, but forgot to post them. Sorry, here they are now:

I like it a lot! It looks like you improved the color scheme in the main site prototype based on earlier comments (which I hadn't noticed before) and used it here as well. I think that it looks good; it retains the main elements of the original but simplified it so that it isn't distracting.

The thick, dark green border around many of the buttons looks a bit odd to me. I think that it might look better if it were one or two pixels wide, but I wasn't able to test it; the markup seemed rather odd, particularly with the use of absolute positioning, and I couldn't modify it to get it to do what I wanted. I'm no expert at that stuff, though.

You might consider making the screenshot image for the BoA section in the 'realistic' view style, without the gridlines.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
For the logo I was thinking ~1"x1" that would go in the upper left hand corner of every page and serve as an extra Home button.

Sorry I took so long, I sort of forgot until today.

Since you didn't specify an exact size, I went with 100x100px, but I can easily change it if it's too large (or small):
v1 Words and crossed swords
v2 Words, swords, and character
v3 Characters and crossed swords
v4 Everything

I'll be away until the end of August, but go ahead and let me know what you think and anything you want changed, and I'll work on it when I get back. If there is specific imagery/layout/color/whatever that you'd prefer instead of what I have, please do tell me; I work best with a clear idea of the desired outcome, so the more info the better.

:-D

Those look nice Mistb0rn. None of them are quite ready but I think they're a great place to start. I think first we need a background that will match the rest of the website. Try shrinking this.It might need a border of a couple pixels.

Then I like the concept of the swords behind the words in v4 only I'd rather they were behind "for Blades" instead of TrueSite. Make sure the S in TrueSite is capitalized. No characters and I'm not sure about the font... I like the medieval look but that specific one's not really grabbing me. Let me look around for a font I like. I'm sure I can find something before August. I'm not sure how the font color will work with both the dark background and the light swords. Maybe the font will need to be light with a dark outline. Or maybe we'll just have to go with a lighter background.

Thanks for the help.

@Everyone else. Where's my ooohing and ahhhing? I have only a rudimentary understanding of JavaScript and I still managed to make a slideshow. Does nothing impress you anymore?

Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black

@Everyone else. Where's my ooohing and ahhhing? I have only a rudimentary understanding of JavaScript and I still managed to make a slideshow. Does nothing impress you anymore?

To be honest, it's not that impressive at the moment. Though I do this for a living, so my opinion may be a bit biased.

Is there any sort of database on the backend or is this all hard-coded html?

No database yet; all hard coded. I know its not impressive from a professional standpoint. I'm still doing beginner stuff after all. I'm really just looking for feedback. I work best when I have feedback (positive or negative).

I've already realized that actually incorporating the changes into my website would be purely for my own benefit of practice. There just isn't enough interest anymore to make it worth it for the community.

Originally Posted By: B.J.Earles
I'm interested. I'd love to have a central database for BoA graphics.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/ and http://blades.ermarian.net/graphics?

@Jewels: Like Sullust, I'm all "Oh, okay, you're using a Javascript slide show library." If the Blades community was bigger, I would recommend that you move to a three-tier architecture (database layer, business logic layer, and presentation layer). But it seems that you're most interested in getting more experience in the presentation layer, so go ahead and focus on that. I've reimplemented the back end for my BoA website a number of times now. Do I have anything useful on it? No, not really. But it helps that I have a working example whenever I want to learn a new PHP framework.