Wow

Miriam

Yea lol. Good times. When I started Exile: Escape from the Pit, I was too young to be able to afford it myself so I played the demo. I remember in one of the Orc towns, I could row into one spot in my boat and rest until the whole room filled up and they couldn't reach me, then I would AoE them all until they were all gone, go collect the gear and money, then repeat.

So awesome.

Back when it looked like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exile_shot.gif

Quote:
More recently the Exile games have been remade as the Avernum series, which replaced the two-dimensional tile-based graphics system with an isometric one and made numerous changes to the RPG system and some changes to the content. Fifth and sixth titles in the series are available under the Avernum moniker and engine.

I didn't really like Avernum as much as Exile, probably because I played the original so long.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
The first Spidweb game I ever registered was Exile 3. Sometimes I wish I could erase my memory of a game so I could rediscover it and get that amazing enjoyment of it all over again.

Not to mention, it'd lower the bar quite alot, let some high budget, low effort games seem worth playing.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
See, this sort of problem could be easily fixed if everyone just adopted the dollar and the one true currency. And no, we never have any inflation or value issues, silly! That's a totally fabricated lie, probably perpetuated by the Comintern.
Its not a lie, its a conspiracy!
I probably need to start taking my meds again. whistle
You know you need your meds when everything seems like a conspiracy.

Originally Posted By: Micawber
Likewise I think I sent some USD banknotes in the post from the UK once, a long time ago. I think that's what the bank clerk recommended; for a low value purchase, the bank fee for getting a proper international draft or cheque would've been too high.

wow

that seems like not such a great thing for a bank teller who wanted to keep his or her job to recommend

Wanna hear something sad but funny, when I first played Exile 1, I played the demo over and over again until my dad finally bought me the registered version (and by over and over again, I mean I mean probably about 30+ times). Was it $15 back then? For some reason I remember it being incredibly cheap.

In all seriousness, I've played EQ, FFXI, WoW etc. and I still prefer Spiderweb games.

Originally Posted By: Micawber
You're right, the bank management would've preferred that she charge me the £12 fee to make my £15 purchase.
That's almost as bad as the time I bought a $10 mouse, and was offered a $25 extended warranty.
Originally Posted By: Miriam
when I first played Exile 1, I played the demo over and over again until my dad finally bought me the registered version (and by over and over again, I mean I mean probably about 30+ times).
*nods in understanding, waxes nostalgic* Not bad.

I must've played the Valley of Dying Things scenario for BoE at least that many times before getting the registered version. And I could almost literally play the E3 demo blindfolded before buying the trilogy on CD.

I actually played Geneforge 1 back when it came out but because of college+work didn't have time to finish the shareware version, fast forward to April of this year I played it again and got to finish it! I then played Avernum 4 and got to the end of the demo. So I decided since they were so good I purchased GF1-5 and AV4-6! I finished the Geneforge series which was so incredible. Just finished AV5 a few days ago and am currently going through 6. So looking forward to Avadon as well.