Windows Beta-Testing Geneforge 5[G5]

Spidweb

It helps to be able to write English. At least enough so that Jeff understands what you are saying. He can't use your information if he can't understand it.

Most of Windows beta testing is checking that the graphics converted properly from the Mac version and adjusting the game's difficulty. Also any corrections for problems sent to Jeff since the last Mac version was released have to be checked.

Well, I don't consider myself particularly tech savvy or good at the games, but I applied anyway tongue

Hopefully I can actually manage to stick with one character build start to finish without restarting an inordinate number of times and/or using excessive spoilerage (assuming I even get picked, naturally), and my RL schedule is cooperative throughout the testing period

It's for game releases and sales. Jeff mentions upcoming games, but he's never gone mailing list trawling for beta testers.

—Alorael, who doesn't think there's really a shortage. There is a perennial problem with beta testers starting and then not finishing or falling out of touch, but enough beta testers probably makes the final fraction big enough.

I don't think that Jeff would want masses of tester, simply because he wouldn't get around to programming much, just managing their reports. Massive call-outs for beta testers make sense mostly for server stress-testing under real-life conditions.

That he closed the call for new testers implies that he's already found enough. There seems to be no reason for more advertising.

He doesn't want a mass of testers, but he does want enough. Enough apparently means far more than he really needs in the beginning so that a sufficient number are still active at the end.

—Alorael, who doubts that the time and energy required to deal with a dozen more beta testers is very large. If they find new and important bugs or have interesting balance feedback then it's time well spent. If you get the same information repeatedly, you have corroboration and the most you lose is the time spent reading and deleting the email.

However, in addition to the time and energy spent, you lose profit from those dozen extra beta testers, most of whom would probably have bought the game otherwise.

Once you reach a certain mass of testers, adding a dozen probably won't increase the chance of catching anything new by a significant amount. And if most testers quit before they finish, giving up $300 (or whatever) to get one or two extra committed testers doesn't seem like such a hot deal.