Buying games versus playing them.

Avadon

Spidereweb Software often release the Mac version just before Christmas, which means I have to put off playing the game until after finals. It's not that much of a delay, so I'm not sure it actually counts.

I bought Age of Empires 3 once and waited a whole year before playing it though. It was very disappointing.

...is anyone else afflicted by this same "gotta collect them all" bug, or do you only buy games when you have the time to play them?

I have the same problem.

And i have Blair Witch II, Blair Witch III, Heavy Metal Fakk 2 and Outcast. These games waiting since 2005, that I play them :crazy:

I bought these games in a second hand shop. I hate those shops :D

I own exactly three games that I have not played: Empire: Total War (because it was on steam sale, I had gotten some good word-of-mouth on it, and my poor computer simply couldn't handle all of the processing), Assassin's Creed (again, steam sale, seems to run fine, but I have yet to have had a weekend to spend alone with it since I bought it.), and Call of Duty (which came bundled in with a new video card many years ago, and I have had no interest in playing.)

Mostly, between time constraints (I work six to seven days a week) and budget (I'm self-employed and my primary client nearly went bankrupt this year), I don't buy anything that I don't plan on playing, finishing, and playing again later.

So... the list of games that I haven't yet finished: Avernum 4 (bought it several years ago, and am still slogging through it in small doses), Avernum 6 (don't remember why I stopped, but at this point, I'm waiting to finish A4), Skyrim (not so much an inability as I'm enjoying it too much to bring it to an end), Fallout: New Vegas (ditto), Fallout (it's on my field computer and only gets pulled out if I'm bored on the road, Minecraft (in progress), and the latest Avernum release (in progress).

Suffice to say, I've got enough on my plate that not having the money or time to pick up Dishonored is not bugging me too much.

The Silent Assassin left his phone at home, it seems, when he went to protest Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm at our local library's sci-fi section last night. The Library's phone is still out from the storm, and I haven't had time to run over and check on him. This spells almost certain disaster.

I have purchased games and never finished them (Avadon, Nethergate: Ressurection), but I make a point of at least trying each one. I should probably make a point of playing the demo, but I tend to jump the gun with Spidweb. I will probably finish both, someday.

I have a similar attitude toward books, although I have several orders of magnitude more books than games, and it takes me a while to get to them all.

I've got quite a few games I haven't played, but they're all from Humble Indie Bundles that I bought mostly for other games or free. I have a few games that I've played minimally. And I've got many games I've played but never finished.

There are some exceptions: I've owned Psychonauts for a while, I've played some of it on someone else's computer, it's fantastic, and it's high on my list. I own The Witcher 2 from when I bought it but had no computer capable of running it, then a computer capable of running it but no Windows. Now I can technically run it on a Mac, but the Cider performance is so underwhelming I think I'll still wait. And my old Windows XP CD is missing. Maybe I'll have to pay for Windows 8, but I don't have to like it.

—Alorael, who thinks this is generally accurate. He doesn't buy a game unless he intends to play it, and he intends to play few enough games that he doesn't accumulate sale purchases. Kickstarter purchases are building up, but that doesn't quite count, and "building up" is still only three games. Maybe four with Ars Magica; he dearly loves King of Dragon Pass and this looks like a similar style with a wonderful flavor all its own.

Games that I bought and never played or took over 6 month to start playing are: Warcraft III and its expansion (Didn't have a computer that could play it when I bought it), Civilization III, Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast (waited 3 years to play it due to computer limitations), Fable, Gratuitous Space Battles, Fate (bought it after seeing a friend play it and forgot about), Lemmings (bought it but never played it since I had beaten the demo so many times). I might have forgot some games just because I don't remember them right now.

I've got around 50-60 games on my Steam account, and have only played a handful. I also have a couple of dozen (30?) Xbox games, and have only played maybe half. I've played all the games I have for older consoles.

Like a few other people, I either buy games with the intention of playing them only to have real life get in the way, or they come humbly bundled with games I really did want. There are also a couple I've bought because they've been recommended so much that I felt I had to play, but still haven't managed to find the time. That doesn't mean I'll stop being games though - now that I have a computer capable of running most things I can chuck at it (and because of Steam sales), I've been buying more games, not less, despite having less free time than before.

Oh well, it's not like I'm going to get a graduate job once I've finished at university, so I'll have plenty of time to catch up then. ;)

I usually finish games I buy. There are occasional exceptions when I choose not to finish a game, either because I decide it's too hard for me, or because I discover it's just less fun than I hoped it would be. I currently have one game that I bought early this year and yet never have gotten around to playing. It's quite unusual for me to neglect a game that long, and I hope to remedy the situation in the near future.

I haven't had time to play most games I have on GOG and Steam. I haven't finished all Spiderweb games, either: Avadon, Avernum 4-6, Nethergate.

I own The Witcher 2 from when I bought it but had no computer capable of running it, then a computer capable of running it but no Windows. Now I can technically run it on a Mac, but the Cider performance is so underwhelming I think I'll still wait. And my old Windows XP CD is missing. Maybe I'll have to pay for Windows 8, but I don't have to like it.

It has been ported to OS X now:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/30/the-witcher-2-is-coming-to-mac-sold-1-7-million-copies-on-pc-and-xbox-360/

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2