Avernum: Escape From the Pit Announced

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: madrigan
The various underworld creatures can perform reverse photosynthesis and convert the dark into energy.
Um what? Darkness is the absence of light. It's not a thing. There is nothing to convert.

look who doesn't get jokes

Who says darkness isn't a thing in Avernum? Very dark areas clearly have darkness that is more powerful than light. Why not use it to drive thaumochemical processes that support life.

—Alorael, who in fact has to imagine that this process creates light as a byproduct of absorbing darkness and that this is the mechanism used by the illuminating fungi of Avernum.

The original Avernum demo cuts off something like just past Mertis and just west of Cotra. The demos have generally been getting smaller, and the Great Cave wasn't even really in the original Exile demo. Don't count on Fort Emerald. Do count on getting hours of opportunity to kick the tires on the game.

—Alorael, who finds it interesting that Formello is now the most demo-represented city. It's in the demo areas of A1, A2, and A4. New Formello is in A3. The only game it really could be in and isn't is A6, where it isn't in the demo for very obvious reasons.

Formello has always been the most pleasant place in Exile. Well, except for A6. Even in A4, with the Shades around, Formello remained more pleasant than the remainder of the Six... um, Five Cities.

Does the A1 demo really cut off that early? E1 let you access everything from Almaria east, with that line cutting straight up all the map segments.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
It sure does - I replayed the demo recently. Wasn't sure how far down it went (since I re-registered before getting down to Mertis), but it stops just after Cotra. Further north, you can get to Draco but not the Aranea Fort that the Spiders want you to attack.

As Alorael said, it cuts off just past Mertis. You can get to the Spiral, and explore in the Honeycomb for a while, but you can't get to the Tower of Magi.

That always really disappointed me when I was playing the demo.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
She was the commander of the fort, and a mage, and in charge of the barriers -- she wasn't the only one putting them up, however.

Is this A6? In A1, there is an actual Captain who is in charge of the fort - he exiled himself because he felt sorry for the actual exiles, so it can't be that.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
Mairwen did create the barriers, and did teach Dispel Barrier in at least one of the games (I think A1/2, but don't quote me).

I'm playing through A1 again. She teaches the Dispel Barrier spell in A1 if you bring her the Slith Tome from the the Slith City that's to the northwest and surrounded by swamp.

If I had to guess, I believe that she teaches it again in A2.

Post # 601 cool

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
Avernum and Exile are practically the same thing. One just uses a different system and is more advanced. I dont get why people are playing favorites here.

Because, no one can agree with anyone else which one is more advanced and which is merely the different system.

Originally Posted By: Trenton
But avernum is obviously a more advanced system. It is in (Damn, how do I put this. Do they call it 2D? but then exile witch you only see from one side would be 1D. And then...ARGH! never mind) 2D, and you can see the walls at an angle, you can see your characters standing actually.

Exile games are 2D, Avernum (and all other SW games) are isometric 2D.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
But avernum is obviously a more advanced system. It is in (Damn, how do I put this. Do they call it 2D? but then exile witch you only see from one side would be 1D. And then...ARGH! never mind) 2D, and you can see the walls at an angle, you can see your characters standing actually.

Obviously, as seems to be a common understanding amongst Spiderwebbers, the graphics don't make the game. And there are, obviously, more differences between Avernum and Exile than merely the graphics. Conversation, party size, and spell lists are all different, for instance.

OH MY GOD HAREHUNTER. are you serious? you just had to. I don't know whether to cry or to laugh.

but to goldenking, the spell lists aren't that different. it has lots in common, like the dispell barrier or smite, witch is like wound in avernum, or Ice lances, the avernum version of smite only more powerful. and then theres fireball, and light...Its not that different, not that much to take a side about. I am neutral as you would say it.

Trenton, the spell lists are incredibly different. I'm not sure what you are talking about. Having certain spells in common does not mean the lists as a whole are similar.

EDIT: Also, for the last time, Wound is nothing like Smite. And the First Avernum Trilogy does not actually have a fireball spell.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
EDIT: Also, for the last time, Wound is nothing like Smite. And the First Avernum Trilogy does not actually have a fireball spell.

Interestingly, Wound is actually quite a lot like Smite for NPCs. When cast by a monster, both spells do magical damage to a single target.