Power-gaming

Well, it is asking which one you prefer. And your opinion on which is the best would be more valuable than others since you have actually played multiple classes.

Edit: I don't power-game, I play the game for enjoyment, even though I apparently authored a sort of power-gaming thread in Avernum's strategy central. I suppose I am a completionist... is that the same thing?

Yeah, I'm sort of inbetween. I mean: I try not to pass up on anything I can possibly do to get myself more experience or power, and yet: at least through the first play, I prefer to pretend that the game is Reality, so that my sense of morality and other human traits do come into play, so that I will tend to end up taking sides (at least the first play through)... therefore I'm not a power-gamer strictly speaking, although I answered Yes in the poll. I like to let myself get drawn in by the story.

Then if I play the game again I'll tend to be less moral and more detached and approach the game more intelligently, and I'll tend more to play all the factions for the most advantages (especially now that I know the game: obviously this helps).

So... I suppose a true power-gamer is one who goes in right away with the intent to take the best advantage of everything he/she is presented with, regardless of the storyline. In this sense, I guess one has to be a dedicated and learned/practiced gamer to be especially comfortable and good at doing this?

Am I babbling, again?

Powergaming, yes. Class: Infiltrator. If you haven't checked it out, you can read a detailed description of powergaming as an Infiltrator in the GF Infiltrator link in my sig. It was nicer with all the pictures. One day, hopefully they allow pics again. Then the links will work once more.

-S-

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Real powergamers play both sides against each other for as long as possible.
You can't be a power-gaming purist?

Powergaming is playing the game for as much benefit to your character as possible. Since milking both sides gets you a lot (a lot) more stuff, than it is much more effective to not be a purist.

However, if I could only pick one side to powergame on, it would be the Shapers.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Yes, exactly Thuryl, I was wondering why both was not an option up there. I just played G2 and got every reward from every sect, and cleared every area but the geneforge and areas around it, THEN picked a side (and cheated a little to join other sects for their rewards for killing the Awakened)

i am getting really tired of coming here and realizing i forgot to log in. The stay logged in feature isn't working right. This post and a couple other anonymous posts were me when I didn't realize.

And like Dikiyoba said, I too roleplay a power-hungry psychopath who uses all the sects to his/her own ends.

Originally Posted By: Evnissyen
So... I suppose a true power-gamer is one who goes in right away with the intent to take the best advantage of everything he/she is presented with, regardless of the storyline. In this sense, I guess one has to be a dedicated and learned/practiced gamer to be especially comfortable and good at doing this?

Am I babbling, again?

Yes, power gamers tend to do so on most playthroughs. But don't forget we are human too! we play the game normally sometimes! If that's how you play on most other playthroughs, You are a power gamer too.

I pretty much try to make my character a god by the end of the game

so yes i am a power gamer.

I say it depends on whether you want some of the best equipment or just abilities. Playing a rebal will let you have more creations(and I think spells but I could be wrong)

to make(you`ll sacrafice sanity but I digress). Playing Loyalist will by far get you more powerful equipment but you wont get the top tier creations with out giving you a bad ending.

I lean on the rebals

It's still possible to be a Shaper, make all the best creations and get the best ending if you're careful about what canisters you use. 3 canisters of Create Drayk, 3 of Create Drakon and 3 of Create Gazer will get you all the worthwhile banned creations without affecting your ending.

There aren't any spells that are canister-only, although sometimes you have to wait a while to find a trainer who teaches them.