Endings...[G5]

So, has anyone made a short summary of the endings yet? If so, I missed it. tongue

Anyway, for those who have seen all of them, what's your favorite ending? Judging from the scripts, it looks like Astoria's ending may be the happiest. The Trakovites aren't too bad, but I strongly disagree with Litalia's methods. Releasing the shredbugs? Unleashing a deadly disease onto Sage Taygen's oasis, harming innocents in the process? Not good.

Rawal is, um, very mean. I don't know why anyone would want to swear loyalty to him other than for the sake of seeing every ending.

Taygen is nuts, but at least he believes he's doing the right thing. Hmm, I wonder if you really die if you get the Taygen ending as a Servile, what with the disease and all.

Alwan is naive if he believes he can keep the old Shaper ways without making the same mistakes again, IMO.

Ghaldring has gone crazy, it seems. I liked the GF4 Ghaldring much better. "The time of the serviles will never come" really doesn't sound good too me.

I think the idea was that Ghaldring had always been that crazy, or at least had been for a very long time (ie before GF 4). He was just incredibly cunning, and only showed his true colors when his rage and desperation at realizing that he might not win that battle finally shattered his calm and calculating charade.

I finished Alwan's and Taygen's ending.

The Alwan ending is actually quite good and he does moderate, in the end. He turns out to be merciful and allows the remnants of the rebellion to have the Ashen Isles for the Rebels that are currently living. After they die out, the Ashen isles will be reclaimed by the Shapers. This may cause trouble, but at least both sides agreed. Rawal and Taygen lose their council seats and Astoria maintains hers but everyone is always suspicious of her. Shaper law is reinstituted and strict controls are put into place, but the Shapers are more benevolent. Takovites are discredited and Litalia killed. You end up living a comfortable life. All and all, most people are happy.

The Taygen ending is a "bad" ending. You win, he unleashes the purity agent without the council's permission. Rebellion is totally eliminated. Rawal becomes high councilor, Alwan dies in shame, Astoria retains her seat but people are ever suspicious, and Taygen is exiled. Shaper law is reinstituted, but Trakovites philosophy slowly gains a lot of influence. Litalia is killed. You end up as an outcast. Most people are disgusted in the end.

The Ghaldring ending turns out basically the same as the Astoria one, but with more bloodshed. After the war against the Shapers is won, the "lesser" half of the rebellion, under Greta's direction, launches a surprise attack against the Drakons to win freedom from them. The end result is the same: most of the drakons are dead, the surviving Shapers are banished to the coastal provinces and the Rebels control the rest of Terrestia. The one big advantage over the Astoria ending is that you get to kill Rawal.

That's very interesting. Thanks, Thuryl and Stareye. One more question - what exactly happens to Rawal in Astoria's ending? I recall someone saying that he ends up gaining power...

Somehow, I'm not surprised that Greta decides to launch a surprise attack against the drakons. She clearly supports Astoria when you meet her in Inner Gazaki-Uss.

About ResFool - hmm, is there any similar program for PC users? wink

In Astoria's version of the final battle, you're given the option to kill Greta or let her flee. If you let her flee, she becomes rebel leader and Rawal eventually becomes High Councillor. If you kill her, Akhari Blaze becomes rebel leader but Rawal gets kicked off the Shaper Council. The connection between these events is never explained, but there you go.

Oh. Thanks. That does seem a bit odd. Maybe it's a mistake on Jeff's part. Like, maybe he did last minute changes to the Astoria ending and forgot to edit both versions, or something like that. Having to kill poor Greta to prevent Rawal from becoming High Councillor doesn't really make sense, as far as I can tell.

Butterfly Effect and/or conservation of goodness. I've always liked Greta and thought she had her heart in the right place. She gets balanced with Rawal, whod doesn't even seem to have a heart. To get rid of Rawal you have to balance it by getting rid of Greta as well.

—Alorael, who concludes that Geneforge is set in a hostile, hateful world.

Agreed. You just can't save both Greta and Astoria and get rid of Rawal, it seems.

I've been doing some more browsing... When does Astoria ask you to kill Ghaldring? It would seem that the battle takes place *after* you meet the Shaper Council... So is the Kill Ghaldring quest directly given by the Shaper Council? If so, it appears that you can't read what happens at the meeting merely by browsing the scripts.

Originally Posted By: The Lurker
I've been doing some more browsing... When does Astoria ask you to kill Ghaldring? It would seem that the battle takes place *after* you meet the Shaper Council... So is the Kill Ghaldring quest directly given by the Shaper Council? If so, it appears that you can't read what happens at the meeting merely by browsing the scripts.

Correct on all counts. The meeting with the Shaper Council is a cutscene similar to the ending slideshows.

When you side with Ghaldring, you get to kill all seven Council members. Rawal, Alwan, Astoria, and Taygen are all faction leaders and have to be assassinated separately. Then Ghaldring tells you to go kill the last three members (Nawal, Sharissa, and High Councillor Shema) in their own Council Hall. However, they aren't really doing a "council meeting" when you and Akhari Blaze attack. They're making their last stand.

Jeff rarely makes final battles difficult. He prefers to make optional challenges instead.

Anyway, Sharissa and Nawal should both be fairly easy, especially with Akhari Blaze's help. As for Shema, I hope Jeff didn't make him *too* easy.

If you want to see hard battles, try clearing Sammann's two challenge areas.

No clue. The only thing I can tell you is that Sammann's two areas are GF5's expert dungeon, which can be entered from the Okavano Barrier once you have the two keys (I think).

Sammann was a rebel Lifecrafter who went crazy after extensively reshaping himself. He's also a pretty tough boss, apparently, with nasty HP regeneration abilities.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
the surviving Shapers are banished to the coastal provinces and the Rebels control the rest of Terrestia. The one big advantage over the Astoria ending is that you get to kill Rawal.

But wasn't there a second shaper continent, one that had a denser shaper population than Terrestia. Why don't the shapers from this continent help the terrestian ones?

Or did Jeff just forget about the second continent smile.

Edit: "Posts: 111" yey triple 1 post crazy

The latter, it seems. I believe Lethia Province and the Nodye Coast occasionally send reinforcements (unexperienced and terrified soldiers, that is), if that makes you feel any better.

Off-topic : I thought it would be possible to enter Lethia and Nodye when I first saw the map, but the Lethia and Nodye gates are like the Turabi Gate and the Western Morass... Are they as well defended as their GF4 equivalents?

I'm working on compiling (via extensive cheating) all the endings I can find. I'll transcribe them and post them once I'm done.

I've got two Astorian Endings, a rebel ending, the Rawal ending and the unaligned "ending." I'm working on Trakovites now. Anyone got a better idea of how many ending variations per faction there are?

Sheesh. I've only looked at Astoria's so far, but it has a massive number of variations compared with past endings. We're talking G1 here, but with more minor details, many of which I can't recognize the triggers for at all. What determines -- with the Astoria ending -- whether the Trakovites disappear or are eventually victorious?