G1 - So many living tools! AAAAGH!!

Okay. So I just got to Kazg and joined the Takers. I also have 13 mechanics. I don't plan on raising it, but I'll get on to the point.

I have 50 living tools. Am I going to use that many for the rest of the game? I'm seriously considering selling/dropping about half of them.

Right now, the only way I can get by is by dropping my living tools to get rid of encumbrance. It is quite annoying.

Basically- Do I need this many living tools?

EDIT: Changed the misspelling of Kazg.

You can stash stuff anywhere and it will be there when you get back. The only limit is 200 items per zone.

There is a door in the Servile Warrens (or whatever zone Control Three is in is called) that will require quite a few living tools, so you might want to hold onto a few more living tools than fifteen if you haven't done that zone yet.

Dikiyoba doesn't use the unlock spell, though, so uses more living tools to make up for it.

If you have unlock and high spellcraft and decent mental magic then with the unlock spell you generally don't need any living tools, especially with 13 mechanics. I've done fine carrying around just 4 or 5, just in case I need any extra to soften up the trickier locks. Keep the remainder in your stash.

Note: Be careful about selling equipment, since in G1 one tends to run out of buyers at a certain point. I prefer to horde my compilable items (gems, crystals, thorns, pods, living tools...) and the really pricey items that would break shops very quickly, and sell only the small items that would otherwise take up far too much space where I keep my stash.

If there is in fact a 200 object limit per zone, as Dikiyoba says, then 350 gemstones are counted as one object.

Plus, I'm not sure if the 30,000 coin limit that applies in later games applies in G1.

Stacked objects count as a single item.

I usually remove all the items from the first two zones of the game and keep my stash(es) right by the entrances to those zones. The junk items can go into any zone you're not using.

Dikiyoba doesn't like using towns very much, because Dikiyoba can't take all the items from it (and there is the possibility you might do something to make the town angry), but it's nice to be healed up any time you dump off more loot.

Originally Posted By: Evnissyen
Plus, I'm not sure if the 30,000 coin limit that applies in later games applies in G1.
Well, considering that the 30,000 coin limit exists as far back as the Exile series, I'd say it probably applies in G1. wink (I think it was actually lower in E1&2.)

I've never tried to find the upper limit for money in G1.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
I usually remove all the items from the first two zones of the game and keep my stash(es) right by the entrances to those zones. The junk items can go into any zone you're not using.

Dikiyoba doesn't like using towns very much, because Dikiyoba can't take all the items from it (and there is the possibility you might do something to make the town angry), but it's nice to be healed up any time you dump off more loot.

In G1, my stash is in northern Vakkiri, by Nabb's hut, and I've yet to run into any problems. And yes, it's always a good thing to get healing when you add to your hoard.

• 2 weeks later...

You also must not have any living tools in your inventory before you get this one and you should never get any other one when you already have this one.

Click to reveal..
That's best acchieved that you drop it before getting any rewards that could be living tools, although i think this is quite rare.
Click to reveal..
Maybe the best thing to do is to type reward_give(255) at the seardh function of your computer at the second spot ("word or phrase") and leave the name field empty (at least that's how it's done on windows) and then you'll see all the areas and rewards that give you living tools.
But still, it may be considered cheating and may spoil your game, although you still need pure mechanics for traps.

Dammit, I've got to learn to check and make sure there isn't a second page of comments before I post! I just had a little thing about how almost anywhere works to stash items. I myself used wherever I went to heal up and sell things. (Then again, I had a small stash. I swear I bankrupted every merchant in the game with all the stuff I sold. Bought myself 30 points of luck with the money.)

Originally Posted By: Brock The Archmage
Coin limits: Exile series:25000
Avernum 1: 9000
Avernum 2+3: 15000
Geneforge 1: ?
Geneforge 2: ?
all after that: ?

That's the limits you can give with the editor. I remember quite clearly that the coin limit in Exile III was 30,000.