GF2-I Atlas to Quests and Item Locations (Massive Spoilers)

The Purifying Blade is in a locked upstairs room in Drypeak Warrens. Yo can unlock it yourself or as part of Yu-La's Canister Schematics quest Sage Markov or Zakary will unlock the room after certain points in the quest. There is a book in the room that describes the sword sort of.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Randomizer said:

The Purifying Blade is in a locked upstairs room in Drypeak Warrens. Yo can unlock it yourself or as part of Yu-La's Canister Schematics quest Sage Markov or Zakary will unlock the room after certain points in the quest. There is a book in the room that describes the sword sort of.

Or you pay the 10 living tools and open the door. But then you will end up with a final-level sword from an early level.

Edited by alhoon

Posted (edited)

10 tools is a pittance for that sword. It's even less if you're actually pumping mechanics for the first 3-4 levels, like you probably should be doing. Then you can immediately start pumping Melee Weapons to 5 so you can begin obliterating anything within melee range.

Edited by l33tmaan

12 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

if you're actually pumping mechanics for the first 3-4 levels, like you probably should be doing

Mechanics 6 is more than enough to get through the first 2/3 of the game with a serious living tool surplus, and that puts you at Mechanics 13 once you get the items and the book point, none of which are gated by late game stuff.  You get diminishing returns in living tool cost reduction, and you pay an increasing cost in skill points.  Personally I'm quite happy with it at 5.

It only takes 15 skill points to raise Mechanics to 6.

5 minutes ago, ex post slarto said:

Mechanics 6 is more than enough to get through the first 2/3 of the game with a serious living tool surplus, and that puts you at Mechanics 13 once you get the items and the book point, none of which are gated by late game stuff.  You get diminishing returns in living tool cost reduction, and you pay an increasing cost in skill points.  Personally I'm quite happy with it at 5.

I regret raising mechanics to 6 to be honest. I don't have it at 13 with gear, but ... is there anything that requires mechanics 12? Sure, sure, there may be a mine in zone_ABC or something, but is there a quest that requires mechanics that high? 

I am pretty sure that I could get away with mechanics 4 - and I am the person that was complaining I couldn't open half the doors in the beginning. 

The formula for living tool use uses (Mechanics +1) as a divisor.  The 5th point of Mechanics only costs 3 skill points and it still makes a reasonable difference in living tool consumption, so that's an easy enough choice outside of challenge playthrough territory.

8 hours ago, ex post slarto said:

I just like leaving Drypeak with 6 mechanics! 

Posted (edited)

Another question: I wounded the orange clawbug queen to 15 hp in the clawbug canyon, but wasn't able to kill her. Having no essence, I simply went back to the city, determined to come back and kill her. Turns out that she is nowhere to be found. I'm talking about the orange scorpion on the right of the shaper when coming from north. 

Did I lose important loot ? Why did the clawbug queen disappear? 

My bad for not having a backup savegame.

Edited by Lorn

5 hours ago, Lorn said:

Another question: I wounded the orange clawbug queen to 15 hp in the clawbug canyon, but wasn't able to kill her. Having no essence, I simply went back to the city, determined to come back and kill her. Turns out that she is nowhere to be found. I'm talking about the orange scorpion on the right of the shaper when coming from north. 

Did I lose important loot ? Why did the clawbug queen disappear? 

My bad for not having a backup savegame.

She drops the Clawbug Charm, +6% to creation armor.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Randomizer said:

The Purifying Blade was one of the items Yu-La was sending to the Shapers on the coast. You could keep it fr a while and use it yourself instead of immediately turning I over.

Somehow it turned up in Drypeak Warrens.

I don't remember that blade being the best weapon in Mutagen though. Still never had a guardian to be sure. Also, never aligned with those elitist, murderous, lazy idiots. I mean, they were THREE Shapers and spent their time in a bunker sending an apprentice to do their job. A non-trained apprentice, mind you. We were not doing our Journeyman time then. 

Edited by alhoon

Posted (edited)

NW (8,30) door open after Elissia agrees to help with Grimwing’s quest

What are these numbers (8,30) For? I can't find the door that has been opened by Elissia to get the plants needed.

Edited by Lorn

12 hours ago, Amira The Hot Potato said:

I'm a bit confused about something.. is the blade that absorbs canisters the weapon that was created from that vial of goo from gf1?

This is going to be unhelpful, but keep playing the game and it'll be revealed. Revealing that would spoil a later interaction that brings some context to the events of Geneforge 2.

16 minutes ago, Lorn said:

What are these numbers (8,30) For? I can't find the door that has been opened by Elissia to get the plants needed.

Are you talking about the tall plants? I couldn't find them either. It is generally easier to go to Sharon for them.

55 minutes ago, Genernumlover said:

This is going to be unhelpful, but keep playing the game and it'll be revealed. Revealing that would spoil a later interaction that brings some context to the events of Geneforge 2.

Are you talking about the tall plants? I couldn't find them either. It is generally easier to go to Sharon for them.

Sharon has enough tall plants? I found a couple in Phariton but I didn't take them as I didn't have the quest back then

1 hour ago, Lorn said:

NW is the general area of the zone. The numbers are the approximate location of the door using the shift-D cheat and then location in the box to see where you are in the zone. If you are standing in front of the door, these are the numbers.

This is the only door you can't open by yourself just above the three orange pools of acid/poison along the left side of the zone.

Sharon's tall potted plants have a little extra experience.  :)

Get them all for their fire resistance.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Genernumlover said:

She does. You have to visit and ask her about it and she will open up a new part of her grove for you.

Ohhh... 

That may be a problem. You see, after creating creations just to kill them for parts in front of my Awakened Lifecrafter to make his ring (an awesome ring that I do use to my shame) ...  Sharon is no longer with us. 

I am a bit more aggressive than your rank and file Awakened. 

Ghent is gone (except a few serviles that I managed to avoid). 

Sharon is gone. Phariton is gone.
Rising is gone (except a few shopkeepers and serviles in North Rising). 
I am now killing everyone in the Radiant College. 

I have not killed the plant-mage, I am not a Taker! I don't kill every Shaper, just the bad ones. But I am not going through that horror of acid/poison field for a few pots. 

I will probably script my character shaping these plants after getting one. 

Edited by alhoon

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Drayk Armitage said:

"I am not a Taker!"

"I will probably script my character" because I don't like the options the game gives me...

*looks at Easss*

😂

Clarification:

Easss is mad and powerhungry. My character is not. I am below 5 canisters at the time.

Sharon may be welcoming and brew tea but she was making creations and pulling of their eyes and the text is clear that I could hear their screams of pain as they were created, amputated and mutilated and then killed. And while we all kill and eat ornks, Sharon is also having a bunch of Creations in her back yard, that she has there to fight and die which is prohibited by Shapers, Servants and Awakened alike. Only the Barzhites do it (and well, the Takers if memory serves.) 

I think my approach of, ahem, taking the fruits of her work and then killing her for the way she treats creations is appropriate. 

Edited by alhoon

6 hours ago, Genernumlover said:

humm i thought i went all the places. i might have skipped text though. any specific place i should look?

11 hours ago, alhoon said:

I am a bit more aggressive than your rank and file Awakened. 

Ghent is gone (except a few serviles that I managed to avoid). 

Sharon is gone. Phariton is gone.
Rising is gone (except a few shopkeepers and serviles in North Rising). 
I am now killing everyone in the Radiant College. 

Yess!!! See this is what I'm talking about. Feel the hate run through you, young Skywalker...

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Amira The Hot Potato said:

humm i thought i went all the places. i might have skipped text though. any specific place i should look?

Easss.

HUGE SPOILER, DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ANSWER SPOILED FOR YOU:

Spoiler

Easss remarks that the vial of orange goo was a sample of the original Geneforge. The Takers stole it from Yu-La and used it to help recreate the Geneforge. They didn't just recreate it from schematics or scrap, they had the essence of the original to use as a blueprint. Essentially, the hero of Geneforge 1 unknowingly helped set up the events of Geneforge 2 by retrieving the Geneforge sample for Yu-La.

Edited by Genernumlover

Oo, interesting.  Yeah, Easss doesn't actually mention "vial" or "goo," but he clearly says he stole the Geneforge sample from Yu-La, good call.

A correction though -- the G1 PC does not retrieve the sample for Yu-La, the PC is simply a courier who brings it from Yu-La to Thrackerzod.  And since in canon G2, Yu-La takes it off the island and the Takers steal it from her, it seems that the G1 PC did not perform that task and actually has nothing to do with that vial making it to the Takers.  If the PC had had more concern for the Sholai and/or the inutile, they might have prevented it, though.  (Also, it's red, not orange.)

(It's also not clear that Yu-La knows it's a sample of the Geneforge -- if she had, then as a greedy trader, presumably she would have bargained for a lot more in exchange for it.)

4 hours ago, Genernumlover said:

Easss.

HUGE SPOILER, DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ANSWER SPOILED FOR YOU:

Reveal hidden contents

Easss remarks that the vial of orange goo was a sample of the original Geneforge. The Takers stole it from Yu-La and used it to help recreate the Geneforge. They didn't just recreate it from schematics or scrap, they had the essence of the original to use as a blueprint. Essentially, the hero of Geneforge 1 unknowingly helped set up the events of Geneforge 2 by retrieving the Geneforge sample for Yu-La.

ah... he tried to rip my face off so I had to kill him UWU. I'll talk to him in my next playthrough

35 minutes ago, Drayk Armitage said:

the G1 PC does not retrieve the sample for Yu-La, the PC is simply a courier who brings it from Yu-La to Thrackerzod. 

I probably remember wrong then, but it is worth asking: 

Are you sure it is that way? Cause I remember that I was bringing the sample TO Yu-La. At least at some point. 

1 minute ago, Drayk Armitage said:

you are welcome to look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

in fact that would be a lot more helpful than just asking "are you sure?" all the time and expecting somebody else to put in the effort.

(but yes, i am sure.)

I was making conversation and yes, I asked google about it and indeed, it was the way you remember it. 

3 hours ago, Drayk Armitage said:

Oo, interesting.  Yeah, Easss doesn't actually mention "vial" or "goo," but he clearly says he stole the Geneforge sample from Yu-La, good call.

A correction though -- the G1 PC does not retrieve the sample for Yu-La, the PC is simply a courier who brings it from Yu-La to Thrackerzod.  And since in canon G2, Yu-La takes it off the island and the Takers steal it from her, it seems that the G1 PC did not perform that task and actually has nothing to do with that vial making it to the Takers.  If the PC had had more concern for the Sholai and/or the inutile, they might have prevented it, though.  (Also, it's red, not orange.)

(It's also not clear that Yu-La knows it's a sample of the Geneforge -- if she had, then as a greedy trader, presumably she would have bargained for a lot more in exchange for it.)

Huh, I misremembered that bit of the quest then. That's good to know. So the PC was negligent in their dealings with the Sholai. They could've stopped a lot of chaos if they had been a completionist.

Well, if they really wanted to stop the chaos, they would have needed to destroy the vial.  Giving it to Thrackerzod would be more negligent than leaving it with Yu-La IMO.  Frankly he seems even less capable of hanging on to it than she did.

39 minutes ago, Drayk Armitage said:

Well, if they really wanted to stop the chaos, they would have needed to destroy the vial.  Giving it to Thrackerzod would be more negligent than leaving it with Yu-La IMO.  Frankly he seems even less capable of hanging on to it than she did.

Yes, but his awesome father... I hate Trak 

The Serviles and Emily are still diseased. Unlike the Awakened, Emily doesn't have Carnelian to help her and I couldn't do anything about it. Carnelian told me that I need to deal with the disease of the Serviles and the cure would be the same. The cure for the Serviles is apparently in Beneri-Uss! 
I am an Awakened, is it possible to get the cure without turning the Takers Hostile? 

16 minutes ago, alhoon said:

I am an Awakened, is it possible to get the cure without turning the Takers Hostile? 

You can fight your way through or sneak around Benerii-Uss to find the book with the cure in the Shaping zone. As long as you don't get seen by Rhakkus, Akkat, or Easss then Zhass-Uss and the other Taker areas won't be hostile. But what's the fun with that. :)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

You can fight your way through or sneak around Benerii-Uss to find the book with the cure in the Shaping zone. As long as you don't get seen by Rhakkus, Akkat, or Easss then Zhass-Uss and the other Taker areas won't be hostile. But what's the fun with that. :)

I have an entire diatribe about that, but it is for a different thread. So, I can sneak around B-U and cure the Serviles and poor Emily without turning the rest of the Taker zones hostile? I have the shame-ring of Sharon that gives me stealth and I think I have stealth 1 from somewhere (I either bought it or got something that gives it).

With the Shame-ring, I have a bunch of leadership and mechanics. 

EDIT: So, I don't need to keep Lying Zackary the Deceiver alive any more, do I? He is not sneak-involved in some other late-game quest like Sharon was, correct? 

Edited by alhoon

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, alhoon said:

The cure for the Serviles is apparently in Beneri-Uss! 

My biggest gripe with this game is this quest. If you're getting to Benerii-Uss, you're generally too high in level to actually get experience by completing it. But, that's not what irks me the most. What really bothers me is that, if you're attempting to optimize, the advanced location of the cure holds up your progress in a big way because you have to stay cool with the Awakened until you complete it, likely near endgame:

- You can't complete the "Kill Tuldaric" quest because you have to stay in the Awakened's good graces to complete it.

- Which means you can't complete the Emissary quest line.

- And you can't join another faction either until it's completed because that, too, will make Awakened hostile. So, if you're trying to get a certain nifty charm and a handful of cannisters from Barzhal, you can't do that either.

- Full Helix Ring development is effectively paused at two (Stanis and Phariton) until the cure is found.

Swollford's Second Book is also problematic in this regard (though it can be completed one level earlier), though it doesn't hold up progress to the same degree.

Edited by Hyperion703

3 hours ago, Hyperion703 said:

My biggest gripe with this game is this quest. If you're getting to Benerii-Uss, you're generally too high in level to actually get experience by completing it. But, that's not what irks me the most. What really bothers me is that, if you're attempting to optimize, the advanced location of the cure holds up your progress in a big way because you have to stay cool with the Awakened until you complete it, likely near endgame:

Reveal hidden contents

- You can't complete the "Kill Tuldaric" quest because you have to stay in the Awakened's good graces to complete it.

- Which means you can't complete the Emissary quest line.

- And you can't join another faction either until it's completed because that, too, will make Awakened hostile. So, if you're trying to get a certain nifty charm and a handful of cannisters from Barzhal, you can't do that either.

- Full Helix Ring development is effectively paused at two (Stanis and Phariton) until the cure is found.

Swollford's Second Book is also problematic in this regard (though it can be completed one level earlier), though it doesn't hold up progress to the same degree.

I think the point of that quest is the ring you get, not the XP.

I agree about the second book. Ember and Onyx should be found earlier. By the time you get it, the item you get from the quest is already surpassed.