GF2-I Atlas to Quests and Item Locations (Massive Spoilers)

I was initially planning to get the Guardian Claymore for my Guardian run (both for RP and +STR/Quick Action purposes), but I see the Purifying Blade can gain 2 damage levels up to 12 times at the cost of sacrificing 12 canisters (not a big deal IMO to sacrifice certain "useless" spell/creation canisters - looking at you, Cockatrice and Ornk...). But this seems insanely OP, if I'm interpreting correctly - i.e., an additional 24 damage dice added to the standard damage progression based on character level! Or is it the case that the blade starts out ridiculously weak to compensate for this massive potential damage boost? I haven't even got the base blade yet, so I'm probably jumping to conclusions, but any explanations would be appreciated.

Oh, I hadn't considered the Essence Eater or Soulblade, since without specific damage stats in the Atlas/elsewhere that I found, they didn't jump out. So, another few questions comparing the Purifying Blade and Essence Eater:

1) Both the Purifying Blade and Essence Eater improve based on canister use, but what's the exact mechanism? From my read of the Atlas descriptions, I think the Purifying Blade requires you to let the blade absorb up to 12 canisters (preventing you from using the canisters for their standard stat/spell/skill boosts), while the Essence Eater simply increments based on your personal canister use count. Is this correct?

2) Will I gimp the damage on either/both of these weapons if I get them too late and don't leave enough unused canisters lying around, and/or if the canister usage count incrementing the Essence Eater (if that's how it works) only starts after the weapon is obtained?

3) The Purifying Blade maxes out at 12 canisters; does the Essence Eater have a limit in this respect, and if so, what's the cap?

Thanks for Mech's/others' patience with the questions and the great info!

Purifying Blade can be used to eat canisters, up to 10, although that makes the canister unavailable to you. Each canister improves the damage dice by 2, ranging from 7-27 damage dice.

Essence Eater has a different base attack: unlike most weapons, each level adds 1d3 physical damage and 1d2 energy damage (which is .5 higher on average than the standard 1d5 most weapons get). Each canister you've used (which is retroactive) powers up the blade by one level, ranging from 5 to 21 damage dice. So 16 canisters total, I think.

Nice, and thanks again - so if I at least leave 10 (not 12 per the Atlas) canisters unused, it sounds like I won't risk missing out on anything with either weapon (the Essence Eater bonus only requiring that I've used at least 16 canisters throughout the game, which I'm sure I'll hit regardless), and can keep my options open. I would be quite interested in the exact maxed damage output range of both weapons at character level 20, as well as the range for the Puresteel Soulblade, but I can eventually test that myself if needed.

It was briefly 12 during testing - I'm pretty sure it's 10 in the most recent version. But yeah, it's pretty easy to max out both weapons, and any character should have at least 10 canisters they don't care enough about.

It's 1 damage die per character level and most weapons have 2 base damage, so it's pretty easy to calculate the damage at level 20:

Purifying Blade: 49-237

Essence Eater: 43-129 physical + 43-84 energy

Puresteel Soulblade: 46-222

Guardian Claymore (for reference): 36-172

Thanks! I was planning on the Guardian Claymore for RP and more STR (recognizing it's only 5% bonus damage per point) / Quick Action bonuses, but the Essence Eater - particularly given how easy it is to naturally max without reserving canisters, the fact that it does both physical and energy damage with a fairly tasty combined potential total, and the +1 STR / +2 Melee Weapons bonuses vs. the Purifying Blade's lack of stat/skill bonuses (at least according to the Atlas) - looks like the endgame winner to me. Still, I'll probably end up maxing the Purifying Blade anyway to have it around for energy damage-resistant enemies (though I'm not sure how many of those there are later), as well as the period before I accidentally kill everyone in Rising to "obtain" the Essence Eater from Guardian Stanis.

Extremely useful info; as always, much appreciated.

It's worth noting: one downside to the Essence Eater is how it interacts with the Frosted Annulet artifact. If you enhance the Frosted Annulet to improve your melee skills, it gives you a 20% chance for your physical damage to deal the same amount of cold damage to an enemy. With most weapons, that means double damage (unless they have unequal armor and cold resist), but with the Essence Eater, only the physical portion of the attack is getting doubled.

You also don't have to kill everyone in Rising. Stannis can be dueled without turning the town hostile. That makes him one of the best targets for the Helix ring as well.

Ah, I was exactly planning to use the Annulet melee upgrade together with the Eater, and didn't realize I can get it "early" by separately dueling Stannis - good info!

Probably will go with the Puresteel Soulblade - I'm getting at least 10 Melee anyway, and not fussing with canisters while getting 15% Lifedrain is nice.

Edited by mikeprichard

Very good - nice to get confirmation from the veterans! I'll aim for the Soulblade together with the melee-upgraded Annulet, but will probably keep the Purifying Blade on the side (absorbing high-tier Battle/Mental Magic spell canisters, as I won't use those spells as a Guardian) for kicks.

True, Random! From the above, there are more than enough canisters in the game to use 16 on the character to max the Essence Eater and reserve an additional 10 to max the Purifying Blade, with only the latter 10 not providing their skill/spells to the character. I now plan not to rely on either weapon, but it's good to have options.

18 minutes ago, Slarzahl said:

Baleful Gold Idol apparently has a hidden -20% hit rate effect while it's in your pack, as a charm.  No idea if it has other effects as well.

O_O

My question now changes to: 

If I find that thing and put it in my junk bag, would it hit me with that horrible penalty? 

Edited by alhoon

On 3/27/2024 at 1:38 PM, Randomizer said:

- second reward - 172c, tranquil baton, sapphire, Canister - Essence Mastery

- (5,34) door - lock (M11) - cabinets - Shaped Lances (6), spray crystal (2), airshock crystal (NY), fiery wand, Canister - Magic Shaping

— Cansters - Mental Magic, Missile Weapons

On 3/27/2024 at 1:39 PM, Randomizer said:

CNW (26,19) Canister - Essence Mastery

— Canister - Fire Shaping

- white box mines (M12) - Canister - Essence Mastery

Which of these can I get without joining the factions and which are "quest-locked"? 

Edited by alhoon

Most are not faction related if you have the Mechanics and living tools to get through the locked door. 

Everfrost Mine./Canister Factory  Essence Mastery canister is only available with the Sholai quest and must be taken during the quest or the door closes for good.

Emissary quest rewards only open when you successfully report that you captured an Infernal.

1 minute ago, Randomizer said:

Most are not faction related if you have the Mechanics and living tools to get through the locked door. 

Everfrost Mine./Canister Factory  Essence Mastery canister is only available with the Sholai quest and must be taken during the quest or the door closes for good.

Emissary quest rewards only open when you successfully report that you captured an Infernal.

I have not fought the demon in the O-GF2, and I don't know if the Emissary quest is faction-specific. Should I be Barzite to give that report to this Emissary?

13 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

Emissary and Sholai quests are independent of all factions so anyone can do them. They are some what against 
Shaper traditions.

Sholai in Drypeaks? Sholai?  🤣
Which of you guys suggested that quest? I will +rep you several times! 

Man, this is much better than the original, and the original was good. 

Shaper Robe in Sharon's: Do I need mechanics 7 to bypass the plate? Not that I can take the turrets, mind you. While my creations can deal with the first one, the second one always shoots for my char once I step in.

Edited by alhoon

Another question for those in the know - nlambert's index indicates 1 Major Healing Pod is needed for a quest, but I don't see that in the Atlas (Carnelian's quest uses Major Healing Spores, and Versa apparently only uses regular Healing Pods and Spores). Is the index incorrect, or is there in fact a quest use for Major Healing Pod(s)? Thanks.

Since it's potential late-game equipment, I thought it might be worthwhile to note: it looks like the Slayer's Chestguard (per comparing weapon/spell tooltips when it's equipped/unequipped) may actually boost melee/magic damage by 20%, not 10% - unless the weapon/spell tooltips are the ones that are bugged. I did report on the Steam forum, which Jeff is checking frequently due to the recent release/in preparation for v1.0.2.

EDIT: OK, it seems only melee weapon tooltips show a 20% increase; spells show only 10%. Either way, something's probably off here.

Edited by mikeprichard

1 hour ago, mikeprichard said:

Since it's potential late-game equipment, I thought it might be worthwhile to note: it looks like the Slayer's Chestguard (per comparing weapon/spell tooltips when it's equipped/unequipped) may actually boost melee/magic damage by 20%, not 10% - unless the weapon/spell tooltips are the ones that are bugged. I did report on the Steam forum, which Jeff is checking frequently due to the recent release/in preparation for v1.0.2.

EDIT: OK, it seems only melee weapon tooltips show a 20% increase; spells show only 10%. Either way, something's probably off here.

I don't think this is an error.  I think this is multiplication with stat-based bonuses.  What was the base melee % and what was it with the chestguard equipped?

Yes, Jeff does prefer emails, but for some minor things I've been reporting on a Steam topic (seeing for now he seems to be checking the Steam forum daily), I just didn't want to fill up his inbox! And I did see and briefly reply to your response there - it may in fact be a multiplicative issue between stats and items, as you/Jeff noted. I am level 17 with a few skills therefore boosted above the default (Strength and Melee Weapons would be relevant, I suppose, at 6 and 11 without items equipped respectively).

Melee damage bonus on Essence Eater w/no other items equipped = (+118%)
Melee damage bonus on Essence Eater w/only Chestguard also equipped = (+136%)
Melee damage bonus on Essence Eater w/Chestguard and Pure Fanged Bracelet (Strength +1) equipped = (+142%) etc.

Most relevant seems to be the first two samples above - i.e. "only" an 18% increase instead of 20%. Maybe if I were able to cheat my Strength and Melee Weapon skill values back down to their level 1 values or something else it would become closer/equal to the stated 10% difference. Kinda complicated, but yeah, I could see this may not be strictly a bug.

Edited by mikeprichard

He's said he prefers emails.  If you want to be thoughtful and not "fill up his inbox" you might consider making a list of things like typos and sending them in large batches rather than one at a time.  Either way, posting in two forums simultaneously is probably not going to help him, as it just becomes more to sort through.

This is getting pretty off-topic for the atlas so if this needs to be discussed further, feel free to PM or start a new topic.

Noted. I know he generally doesn't check this forum, but you do read both here and Steam, so it certainly makes more work for you - I shouldn't have jumped the gun on posting my "conclusions" here, lol.

Back to the regularly scheduled Atlas discussion... the Atlas notes up to four augmentations of the Feisty Slap Glove are possible, but only lists the effects of three. Could someone confirm whether there is a fourth augment, and if so, what it adds? (Considering my prioritization of using those rare residues/mandrakes.)

A couple corrections for the Buck Creek zone valid for the final game (v1.0.1):

"NW (28,11) door - lock (highly locked) - opened after Crystal for the Sholai quest completed"
This shed in the CN area of the map is only unlocked by Zosima in conversation after you complete his first one or two "trust-building" quests and/or use Leadership to skip them (with the unlocking triggered by "Have I done enough to win your trust?", though you'll need to be careful to choose that option while you have the chance - otherwise, he won't unlock the shed, and you'll need to burn some living tools).

"(46,12) door - lock (reward for Sholai Investigation)"
Referring to the shed just west of Zosima, this one is opened by Drayk Grimwing for completing his quest.

Regarding the below notes from the Atlas, as a non-Taker (Awakened), I killed Salgurdar (I never had the option to speak with him as he defaulted to hostile, and am not sure how he would reward Awakened or Barzites since he's similarly hostile in both cases) as well as Rhakkus, but the below two doors still don't open. I'd understood there are no faction-locked Taker rewards, but is it the case that these two canisters are in fact completely unavailable to non-Takers? If not, how can I open the doors? Thanks.

Salgurdar - teach for Shaped

- can open door by Enchantment Anvil for Awakened (52,35) - Canister - Create Rotghroth

- can open door by Enchantment Anvil for Barzite (53,36) - Canister - Create Gazer

Hmm, that would make sense, but I went back to the mind with Leadership 10 and exhausted all dialogue options (I'd done the same the first time through the Power zone, and didn't notice any new options this time), and these two doors in Shaping remain closed. I haven't yet killed Akkat or Easss, but I doubt that would do it(?).

EDIT: OK, it's the two heavily-locked levers (with no key available) in the small room with the Battle Alpha canister in the NW/heating vents part of the Shaping zone. The Atlas indicates these levers instead affect the heating tiles, but they don't seem to - FYI for others who might stumble on this.

Edited by mikeprichard

Also, following up on an earlier post, the Feisty Slap Glove does in fact accept up to four anvil augmentations, but to amend the info currently in the Atlas (and assuming the in-game tooltips are correct for each version of the glove), the augments do the following:

---first: increases unarmed damage / adds chance to daze
---second: increases chance to daze
---third: adds chance to stun
---fourth: further increases unarmed damage / increases chance to stun

• 2 weeks later...

Zuniga in Drypeak quest up to 50 bars of iron......not quite accurate. If you sell him bars and you HAVEN'T YET met the 50 limit, when you hit the sell button he will reward you for ALL the iron bars you have in your pack. Then you can't sell him any more on the next try if you are over 50 at that point. On the second visit to sell bars, after collecting these forever (91 bars) I went back to clean out my pack and thought he would stop at the 50 mark but all bars were gone and a promotion and money were received.