1 year 'til college

adc.

It'll be 1 year until I go to college and take the exam where only a number of students will be accepted, regardless of the passing mark.

I wanted to make my parents proud and show them that the time they spent nourishing and taking care of us will not go to waste. So I am aiming for the most prestigious university in our country.

So yeah, it's probably related into study habits that will affect the outcomes and stuff. But if there are others, please do let me know, or anything else that I'll need to know before it's too late. Just a favor from a two-year, loyal member of these forums.

tl;dr

1 year 'til college, should I change my study habit? Anything to help poor Nightwatcher pass the entrance exam?

Is the entrance exam the only tool used to determine who is accepted or do they use a combination of measures (grades, community involvement, etc)?

It is used to determine who is accepted. So as long as you are one of the top tens, you're in the university. Plus, it's simple shading, so they won't care about your solutions. A handful of my classmates will probably cheat so that's kinda lame.

For all those exam types, some one has gone through past exams and figured out the question types and written an exam guide with similar questions. Go through and figure out what you are likely to see and just study those question types. Try to think like exam writers so you can give them what they want.

All right, prefacing this with a couple of caveats: I graduated over 20 years ago, and all of my academic experience is in the US.

1. I am very glad that you want to make your parents proud. Ultimately, they will be proudest of what you do with your life after university than getting into the best university.

2. To expand on Randomizer's answer, and to paraphrase Sun Tzu, you need to know the test and you need to know yourself. There are several parts to this:

a. Is time a factor, are their more questions than an average test taker can work in the allotted time, and are there more questions than you can answer in the allotted time. If the answer is yes, then you need to know if there is a penalty for guessing and if not be prepared to spend your last few minutes bubbling in random answers.

b. Is your first answer usually correct? If there is time, checking your answers can be very useful in tests where you can make objective errors (e.g. multiplying by 4 instead of 5), but a lot of people find that when they are uncertain between two answers that can be correct, that the one they picked first is correct more often than the one they changed it to when they reviewed the question. You need to know if this is true for you.

c. How does stress affect you and how do you become stressed. Most people do not take tests as well when they are stressed out. People stress them selves out by building up the importance of the test in their minds. You need to study for the test, but not so much so that you are overly stressed about it. Likewise most people do better when they good night's sleep before the test instead of trying to jam some more studying in. You need to know if you are one of them

d. You need to know how to answer the type of questions on the test. I have taken standardized tests where there were three dimensional shapes to evaluate and wiring diagrams to follow. All of the instructions that were needed were there in the test booklet, but someone who already knew how to do what the test was asking would spend less time figuring the test out and more time answering the test questions properly.

e. Finally, you can study for the test like Randomizer said.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the questions objective, ie with options as answers, and having negative points for wrong answers ?

If so, ours was like a 100 questions on OMR's, each with four selectable answers, and like -25% of the points awarded to a correct answer as the penalty for a wrong one. I'd say get to know the probabilities, eliminate the obviously wrong answers and use intelligent guessing and shade the circle when you're reasonably sure that you can get away with it.

That's of course if you, like me, are a lateral creative thinker who never bothered about time management (that's important though, if you already are time-based then you're lucky). You say that they don't care about your solutions (I guess you're referring to the method of obtaining them) so the shortcuts are important as traditional solving takes up too much time, so keep a list of numeric shortcuts for arithmetic problems as a reference.

Good luck ! :)

Are the questions objective, ie with options as answers, and having negative points for wrong answers ?

If so, ours was like a 100 questions on OMR's, each with four selectable answers, and like -25% of the points awarded to a correct answer as the penalty for a wrong one. I'd say get to know the probabilities, eliminate the obviously wrong answers and use intelligent guessing and shade the circle when you're reasonably sure that you can get away with it.

That's of course if you, like me, are a lateral creative thinker who never bothered about time management (that's important though, if you already are time-based then you're lucky). You say that they don't care about your solutions (I guess you're referring to the method of obtaining them) so the shortcuts are important as traditional solving takes up too much time, so keep a list of numeric shortcuts for arithmetic problems as a reference.

Good luck ! :)

Yeah, exactly what in our summer review mentor said. My dad also bought a few, thick tome-sized books for some exam test preparation for SAT. Luckily, I could scan the book and absorb the tips written in there. Thank you guys for your help, now I feel much more confident than my desperate side before :)

Out of curiosity, do you already have a career choice in mind

—Vexivero, who had no plans for the future at that age. He always highly respects kids who have work ethic and know what they want to do, because when he was growing up all he did was play videogames and surf the internet. Oh, how much time was wasted! But he is grateful as well, because it got him to where he is today.

Out of curiosity, do you already have a career choice in mind

They said I could be anything...

So I want to be an electrical engineer. (Sorry, I can't make up a joke on that :p)

I actually want to be a computer IT as it computer savvies are in need today. But I did notice that almost 80% of our class would take IT too, so I kinda chose the electrical engineer stuff. Not my first choice, but I think I'll go with its benefits:

Electrical Engineer:

+My dad is one, he could guide me if I were to be one

+Not a mainstream choice in our class

+My relatives recommend this too

-Not really my favorite, but it has its advantages

Information Technology:

+I do know a few basics (such as making a program with VB etc.)

+What I wanted to be

-My classmates' choice (so if I were to be one, I need to be the best of the best)

-Not recommended by my relatives

Well, I couldn't choose between the two, really.

• 3 weeks later...

I generally feel it's best to pick the field you really enjoy over the one that's been recommended to you. If you're only fine with it now - unless you discover a new passion after immersing yourself in electrical engineering - you're not going to become more enthusiastic over time.

You can always find new mentors in any field you choose. With enough hard work and planning ahead, you will find success in anything you love doing.

This is just what I believe, anyway. Maybe someone with more experience will back me up, or disagree.

Doing what you love is probably good advice, but not everyone knows what they love, and sometimes the thing you think you love to do turns out to be less lovable when you get to know it better. A lot of people have to try a few things before they find something they really want to do.

That's fine, as long as you're prepared for it. False starts aren't necessarily mistakes. A little bit of training in a field you end up leaving may still turn out to be useful, somehow, someday.

Just don't plunge yourself deep in student loan debt, or waste many years of your life, on the assumption that whatever seems like your best shot right now will definitely be your whole life's work. Some people are lucky like that, but not everyone is.