Avadon 2 manual available

Kordanor

Hmm. The manual gives the impression that character level is still capped at 30, and skills are dependent on the levels of both skills below them (as opposed to the higher of the two levels, as in A:EftP). These were both the basis of a lot of player complaint on the forums last time around, and I had been under the impression that Jeff was planning to change them for Avadon 2. Did he scrap that idea? Alternately, it could just be lack of attention to detail in the manual. I'm certainly hoping for the latter; I suppose I'll be able to find out for myself in a few days.

Huh. Any idea why he hung onto those? The level cap I can understand from a game balance perspective, so that players can't just outlevel late-game content (not that this was all that terrible a problem in SW games without a hard cap). The bottom-heavy skill system? I don't think I've ever seen anyone express an opinion more positive than indifference on that one, and plenty that were rather less positive than that. It also seems to contradict his own design philosophy, as elucidated in various of his blog posts, about making levels (especially later in the game) seem significant and interesting. "This level I guess I'll put two points into a skill I never use so that next level I can put two points into a skill I do actually use" seems to me to stand in clear contradistinction to that ideal. It's especially odd that he kept it that way given that it likely wouldn't have been especially labor-intensive to change, since after all he has already programmed a game that uses a more balanced skill tree.

It's especially odd that he kept it that way given that it likely wouldn't have been especially labor-intensive to change, since after all he has already programmed a game that uses a more balanced skill tree.

this was my thought too when I saw that bottom-heavy trees were back. the a:eftp skill tree was a huge improvement over avadon. i guess there just isn't enough cool abilities/skills in avadon though, and you need somewhere to stick points.

From looking at the screenshots, it appears that there was a change to reduce the number of prerequisites for the highest tier skills, however. In Avadon 1, the 4th tier skills required the raising all the skills in the middle column and either the left or right column. In the Avadon 2 screenshots, however, it appears that the middle column 3rd tier skill is no longer a prerequisite for either of the 4th tier skills. So, they should be easier to raise.

So for clarification is this supposed to be only available to certain people or am I just missing something regarding the whole username and password thing? Not that its too big of a deal what with the game coming out wednesday and all, but I am so incredibly hyped for avadon 2 that I'll readily devour the manual anyway.

Haha Fort Foresight... I see what you did there Jeff xD

That's because Google cache stores a copy of the information and isn't a link to the original source.

This also gets around censor programs that won't let you go to a web site. Very useful when you are at a public library computer and need to get to a site that is restricted by them.

From the manual:

A Few Words on Companions and Romance

For the first time in a Spiderweb Software game, it is possible to have a romance with

one of the characters you meet. Because of limited developer time, there is only one

romance with one character, and most players will never find the option.

One result of our limited resources is that the only romance option is female if you are

playing a male character and male if you are playing a female character. We’re an

inclusive bunch here at Spiderweb, so, if you would like to switch this around, load your

saved game, press Shift-D (on tablets, select Enter Cheat Code from the file menu), enter

the code

scoutswap

and select ‘OK’

Very classy, Jeff. :)

Can we have a romance with Redbeard? I would love to see how that turned out!

I support this, primarily because in light of the information presented above, it would give the player the ability to swap Redbeard's gender at will.

I'm glad the option's in there, although I wish it were more visible: let's face it, not every player is going to read the manual.

On the bright side, the reaction to this at RPGCodex is going to be hilarious.

Oh? Now I'm curious. I've gotten the impression of RPG Codex as a group of people who consider themselves extremely Hardcore, and are very, perhaps a tad pathologically intent on making sure that everyone around them knows this, but beyond that I don't know much about them. Do you anticipate them taking up the banner of that most maligned and oppressed of conceptual entities, the Hetero Male Gamer?

Oh? Now I'm curious. I've gotten the impression of RPG Codex as a group of people who consider themselves extremely Hardcore, and are very, perhaps a tad pathologically intent on making sure that everyone around them knows this, but beyond that I don't know much about them. Do you anticipate them taking up the banner of that most maligned and oppressed of conceptual entities, the Hetero Male Gamer?

Well, for one thing they're pretty down on anything resembling anything that Bioware has done in the past 10 years, and the RPGCodex consensus on Avadon 1 was already that it was similar enough to Dragon Age to render it morally suspect, so a romanceable NPC companion is only going to further play into that narrative. But also a pretty vocal subsection of RPGCodex's forumgoers are literal neo-Nazis, or at least think it's cool to pretend to be on the internet.

A Few Words on Companions and Romance

For the first time in a Spiderweb Software game, it is possible to have a romance with

one of the characters you meet. Because of limited developer time, there is only one

romance with one character, and most players will never find the option.

Until it's posted on the Strategy Central thread.

Give the guy a break, he has 3 wives already.

Had three wives, you mean. One of them betrayed him and another got killed. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to me.

Well, for one thing they're pretty down on anything resembling anything that Bioware has done in the past 10 years, and the RPGCodex consensus on Avadon 1 was already that it was similar enough to Dragon Age to render it morally suspect, so a romanceable NPC companion is only going to further play into that narrative. But also a pretty vocal subsection of RPGCodex's forumgoers are literal neo-Nazis, or at least think it's cool to pretend to be on the internet.

Wow. Sounds like a real winsome bunch.