In after the apocalypse.

Trenton.

On a happier note, how about we all celebrate our continuing screwing up this planet existence with a, "Change topic title" feature?

now why would you ever need that

also i'm gonna be really peeved if the world ends before xmas because i spent like $100 on a goose and it's barely even started to defrost

goose advisory: Everybody Please Eat A Goose

But if you're dead, what good is that $100.

congratulations, you got the joke

at least i sure hope you did

btw does anyone have tips on how to make stuffing for a goose, i have some rosemary and thyme in my garden and i'm guessing i need some breadcrumbs but i'm not sure what else

btw does anyone have tips on how to make stuffing for a goose, i have some rosemary and thyme in my garden and i'm guessing i need some breadcrumbs but i'm not sure what else

I'm thinking parsley and sage are needed to complete your recipe.

Actually, for once, I'm being serious.

http://vegweb.com/recipes/parsley-sage-rosemary-and-thyme-stuffing

Here's a nice message I came across :

21st : Last day of the world -- Party

22nd : World didn't end --Party

23rd : Hangover

24th : Day before Christmas -- Party

25th : Christmas -- Party

26th : Day after Christmas -- Party with leftovers

27th : Hangover

28th, 29th and 30th : Last Friday , Saturday and Sunday of the year -- Party

31st : Day before new year -- party

1st : New year -- Party

2nd : If you are still alive after so many parties then : Party

On a happier note, how about we all celebrate our continuing screwing up this planet existence with a, "Change topic title" feature?

mods can do this. so if your reason for changing isn't lame, that can happen. just say something i guess.

do you want me to come over there and eat your goose

I'm thinking parsley and sage are needed to complete your recipe.

i have some parsley growing but it's kind of past its best, i might just buy some

also why does a vegetarian website have a stuffing recipe, what are they even going to stuff

It's about 6PM on the 21st here. The 22nd is only a few hours away for me, and is already well underway in some places. Surprise, surprise, the world didn't end as the Mayans supposedly foretold.

Here's a nice message I came across :

21st : Last day of the world -- Party

22nd : World didn't end --Party

23rd : Hangover

24th : Day before Christmas -- Party

25th : Christmas -- Party

26th : Day after Christmas -- Party with leftovers

27th : Hangover

28th, 29th and 30th : Last Friday , Saturday and Sunday of the year -- Party

31st : Day before new year -- party

1st : New year -- Party

2nd : If you are still alive after so many parties then : Party

Hey, who hacked my computer and stole my to do list?! :p

if you have to resort to fake meat you're Bad At Being A Vegetarian

I was once a vegetarian, many trips around the sun ago. But then I tried to make a quiche lorraine with fake bacon (fakcon?), and it made the quiche turn a very disturbing shade of purple. My vegetarianism didn't last much longer after that. Because, bacon. Gotta have bacon.

As for stuffing, I usually cook it outside the bird in a casserole pan because stuffing the bird makes it harder to get the inner parts of the bird up to a safe temperature without overcooking the outer parts. But, I give the stuffing a turkey flavor by mixing in fried, chopped-up gibblets, and also drizzling some of the turkey pan juices over the top before and during cooking.

I go vegetarian every now and again, just to change things up a little. Most of the time, I'm a strict omnivore.

Because, bacon. Gotta have bacon.
You can have my bacon. I like bacon, but it doesn't like me.

As for stuffing, I usually cook it outside the bird in a casserole pan because stuffing the bird makes it harder to get the inner parts of the bird up to a safe temperature without overcooking the outer part.
Try cooking for a longer time at a slightly lower temperature.

That's the biggest problem I've had with olive oil. Using a more neutral oil sometimes results in slightly more liquid, squishy foods, but that's also called keeping your food from being dry and it's sometimes a good thing.

—Alorael, who ran into an apocalypse on the way home last night and was forced to take an alternate route.

Maybe now people will stop cluttering my Facebook news feed with silly eschatological musings.

Ah, but in the shortening breaths and the faltering hearts, we all face the apocalypse - alone!

Once, I was a vegetarian. My biggest problem with it was that I never really felt like I was full - fruits and vegetables never filled me up like meat could. Nuts and rice got me halfway there, but I still could always go for more. So I was running on half-full for a year before I gave in to try cajun cuisine. I've considered going back to vegetarianism, but if anything my hunger has only grown since I've gotten more athletic, so it's unlikely to happen.

I became a vegetarian gradually by dint of not particularly liking meat. I ate less and less of it and found it more and more convenient to explain my diet with a succinct "vegetarian" rather than "I eat meat, but I don't like most of it, so if you serve some I probably won't eat it even though I'm not really vegetarian" and eventually decided I might as well live up to the claims. Dumplings and sausages were the last meats to go, but I don't really miss them.

Fruits and vegetables aren't filling, really. If you want to be full you either need to add some protein, usually in the form of beans or sometimes dairy, or a lot of oil. Ideally both. Stir-fries with tofu are are lazy, tasty staple.

—Alorael, who finds one of the biggest problems is fake meat. As someone who went vegetarian explicitly to avoid meat he's less than thrilled by fake meats, especially as they become better and better fakes. His favorite substitutes, if he has to have one, are those that don't try to be meat and instead try to be something-else nuggets or chunks of decidedly non-meat protein. But he's still happier with honest tofu, vegetables, and grains not feigning meathood.

now why would you ever need that

also i'm gonna be really peeved if the world ends before xmas because i spent like $100 on a goose and it's barely even started to defrost

goose update: TOTAL VICTORY

ended up cooking a goose and two ducks. my oven only had room for two birds so i broiled the third on the stovetop. made stuffing from walnut, onion, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, bread, olive oil, verjuice, nutmeg, garlic salt and black pepper: kind of labour-intensive (i pre-cooked some of the ingredients separately to bring out their flavour) but worth it in the end

the goose and duck were fairly similar to each other but the goose had less fat and more of a red-meat quality to it: if you'd fed it to me blindfolded and told me it was lamb i might have believed you

pro tip: when making stuffing don't overdo the bread, using too much bread is like the #1 cause of boring stuffing. mine was only like 1/3 bread and it still held together just fine

also my house still smells like goose