Election Aftermath

Balladeer

[EDIT by Student of Trinity: Moved from earlier topic on 2012 Election Season. First lines of this post are now out of context: sorry. IPB doesn't move posts in the way I thought it would.]

[Edit by Jewels: snip unrelated content]

Moving on, how about those results, eh? I find the ballot issue results very interesting and have many questions. For instance since Washington's 'legalize marijuana' ballot passed and Oregon's didn't, do they have any plans for enforcing it? (i.e. to keep Oregon residents from buying over Washington's borders, or keeping Washington residents from carrying it into other states) Will this be a local law enforcement(LLE) issue? If yes does WA care that OR's LLE will be overtaxed receiving the brunt of the responsibility of keeping WA's legal marijuana out of OR?

Then what's with New Hampshire's Income tax ban and why didn't my state think of this? I don't want to pay income tax either. >:oK

[Also Edit by Jewels: in other news how do you change what the Edit By line says? I cannot find the option anywhere...]

Edited by Jewels is Back
Sorry, Jewels.

For instance since Washington's 'legalize marijuana' ballot passed and Oregon's didn't, do they have any plans for enforcing it? (i.e. to keep Oregon residents from buying over Washington's borders, or keeping Washington residents from carrying it into other states) Will this be a local law enforcement(LLE) issue? If yes does WA care that OR's LLE will be overtaxed receiving the brunt of the responsibility of keeping WA's legal marijuana out of OR?
This is hardly the first example of a product being legal in one state and not in others; fireworks and alcoholic beverages above a certain proof, for instance.

Then what's with New Hampshire's Income tax ban and why didn't my state think of this? I don't want to pay income tax either. >:oK
New Hampshire already has no state income tax. The measure, which did not pass, was to prevent one from being levied in the future. This would have had no bearing whatsoever on federal income taxes.

New Hampshire already has no state income tax. The measure, which did not pass, was to prevent one from being levied in the future. This would have had no bearing whatsoever on federal income taxes.

The results I'm looking at says it did pass at 57% yes. But, yeah, I figured. I was going for mischievousness.

*nicks something from Tyran's tardis collection* >:oK

Montana ended up passing with gusto the four referendums i opposed. The one I voted for (corps are not people) didn't even show up on any news sites :p but what else can you expect from a state like montana.

on the bright side, the Republicans did not gain our open senate seat or the governorship, so they are still only doing that 1/435 of damage in the house

Edited by Sylae
the county i voted in, of course, threw all the votes at anyone wearing red

Ah, good to know. Politico.com should update their reporting software then so that the 'winner' check mark is not on the yes once it passes 50% for that type of amendment.

As of right now Politico does not have a check because the official result hasn't been called. Is it different for the mobile version?

In regards to marijuana in Colorado and Washington: the bigger problem is the conflict with state and federal law. Marijuana is a Schedule I drug at the federal level and the DEA has raided quite a few medical marijuana dispensaries. It will be interesting to see how the justice department responds.

As of right now Politico does not have a check because the official result hasn't been called. Is it different for the mobile version?

In regards to marijuana in Colorado and Washington: the bigger problem is the conflict with state and federal law. Marijuana is a Schedule I drug at the federal level and the DEA has raided quite a few medical marijuana dispensaries. It will be interesting to see how the justice department responds.

The DEA doesn't have the resources to enforce drug laws in every state without state assistance. The federal government does have a few options at this point if it wants to see enforcement continue, but most of them would be pretty heavy-handed. Besides the option of withholding federal funding from uncooperative states until they fall into line, there's also the possibility of a Supreme Court challenge under the Treaty Clause: the federal government could argue that US ratification of the Single Convention gives the federal government the exclusive power to make and operate bodies regulating listed drugs.

Moving on, how about those results, eh? I find the ballot issue results very interesting and have many questions. For instance since Washington's 'legalize marijuana' ballot passed and Oregon's didn't, do they have any plans for enforcing it? (i.e. to keep Oregon residents from buying over Washington's borders, or keeping Washington residents from carrying it into other states) Will this be a local law enforcement(LLE) issue? If yes does WA care that OR's LLE will be overtaxed receiving the brunt of the responsibility of keeping WA's legal marijuana out of OR?

As a student in Washington, I can say that I have very little actual hope for this referendum to say law. Local coverage has been abuzz about possible reactions from the federal government, mostly focusing on the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution. I don't think anyone actually thought this would get passed.

Recently the federal government has been "looking the other way" with regards to medical marijuana, at least here in WA. It's hard to go very far in some neighborhoods of Seattle without seeing the familiar "green cross" (indicating a medical marijuana dispensary) on a sign or storefront. If they were worried about getting raided by the feds, they probably wouldn't be so obvious about it.

Whether or not the referendums in WA and CO stay law or get overturned by the courts or legislatures, and whether or not the feds try to up enforcement to counteract the lack of state and local enforcement, I think the fact that two states have now passed initiatives in favor of legalization is going to at least get the conversation started on the national level. I don't partake (well, at least not in the current century), but I voted in favor of WA's initiative because I think getting that conversation started is a good thing.

Having a state marijuana initiative passed is no guarantee. Arizona passed one only to have the state be slow to pass rules to govern legal usage. Also they decided to enforce federal laws that conflict with the state initiative even though Arizona is against federal laws being over stare laws for other matters including immigration.

I think the rationale is that mods need the edit reason when they are editing other members' posts as part of their duties. I have no idea why there is no option to turn it on for regular members though.

Makes sense; accountability.

Edit: and there's always this, just like the old days!

Edited by Tyrasias

Talking about illegal activities, including drug use, is not allowed on these forums. However, I'm torn. I have no idea where they're hosted now, but Jeff himself is in Washington, where this is, or soon will be, legal. We live in interesting times!

—Alorael, who will let this one slide. Call it a moment of mellowness.

Talking about illegal activities, including drug use, is not allowed on these forums. However, I'm torn. I have no idea where they're hosted now, but Jeff himself is in Washington, where this is, or soon will be, legal. We live in interesting times!

Well, technically it will not become legal here in Washington until December 6 ... :)

I can't see the problem with discussing it in the abstract, as long as no one is talking about actually engaging in those activities (Iffy was skirting a little close to that). Nobody was worried when we were discussing voter fraud, which is also illegal.