Hurricane Sandy

Actaeon

We live just on the Jersey side of the Delaware River from Philadelphia. We've gotten about four inches of rain, which is kinda high for a storm around here, but we've had worse. It's the wind that's doing the real damage. Power's been flickering all night, and I have no doubt I'm going to be cleaning up busted branches come tomorrow afternoon.

The coast has taken it the worst: I'm sure you've seen some of the pictures. The Wildwoods were practically underwater even before the rain started last night, and there are some excellent photos of waves breaching all sorts of man-made barriers. Most people aren't too worried about the flooding: every seaside community has flood plans, and most are actually designed with flooding in mind. The issue is, again, the wind. Power's been out for a fair portion of the coast throughout the day because of wind damage, and the flooding is obstructing repair crews.

The rain has stopped already, but we're expecting the wind to continue through tomorrow.

The Silent Assassin's makeshift wind turbines worked very well until they blew down the street.

He's spent the day working out a solution: dirigible turbines.

So far, it hasn't been too bad here in Pennsylvania. There has been a lot of rain and wind, and some trees are down, but not a lot of damage. Of course, the center of the storm isn't supposed to get here until later tonight.

It was only after I lost power that I realized I don't own any flashlights. Though a Nintendo DS seems to work just as well.

Candles are pretty cool, but they're not very practical for dealing with power outages. They burn down pretty quick so you have to change them every few hours, plus they don't generate much light, plus they're useless for carrying around or using outside, plus there's the risk of starting a fire or burns from hot wax (especially if you have indoor pets or small children in your house)...

Dikiyoba recommends at least one lantern (especially a battery-powered one) per household and a flashlight per person (with spares if any of the people share Dikiyoba's ability to destroy flashlights just by looking at them wrong) for dealing with prolonged power outages.

Reports are in. The shore got torn up pretty badly.

I have family that lives five blocks from the beach in a little town due east of Trenton. The ocean came up to about a block from their house, and parts of the local boardwalk and retaining wall have since washed away.

Around here, the biggest complaint is downed power lines and trees, and the emergency crews have been fixing things at a pretty good pace. I wouldn't say that we're lucky, just far enough inland that hurricanes and nor'easters don't pound us too hard.

The Silent Assassin has been going door to door, offering his services in yard cleanup and water removal.

So far, he's made forty cents!

Distinguishing the Gulf from the ocean seems, to an inland chap like myself, a little bit tenuous. In any case, I don't think anyone claimed it was going to be worse than Katrina. The devastation in New Orleans had a lot to do with the fact that a large part of the city is below sea level (unlike your state, Trenton, which I understand tops out at more than three hundred feet above!).

It's simply a stronger storm than is usual for the Northeast, which is much less prepared, both practically and mentally, for something on this scale. And the overall population affected, due to both the size and the incredible density of the Atlantic Coast, is significant.

Here in Chicago, we have flood warnings near Lake Michigan. In a bit, I'll be going down with some friends to check out the 20+ foot waves.

They said it was going to combine with two other weather systems and become a superstorm, I have no idea what that means though.

Sandy is set to collide with a winter storm, combining a huge storm with winter into an enormous winter storm. In other words, for those hit, there will be as many as three feet of snow.

They said it was going to combine with two other weather systems and become a superstorm, I have no idea what that means though.

I think Mosquito---Slayer means that since Sandy is supposed to combine with TWO other weather systems (or so ze heard, I have no idea), one is the aforementioned winter storm, so what's the other weather system Sandy and the winter storm will combine with? Just another winter storm?

Winter doesn't start until late in December, but I guess people will call any bad snowstorm a "winter storm".

I think Mosquito---Slayer means that since Sandy is supposed to combine with TWO other weather systems (or so ze heard, I have no idea), one is the aforementioned winter storm, so what's the other weather system Sandy and the winter storm will combine with? Just another winter storm?

Yes that's exactly what I mean, I read it in a newspaper but it didn't really explain anything else about the phenomenon.

Winter doesn't start until late in December, but I guess people will call any bad snowstorm a "winter storm".

"Winter storm" is actually a term of art in meteorology, referring to any storm that contains snow, sleet and/or freezing rain. It can technically occur in any season, although usually not summer.