Nethergate: Resurrection on Steam

Tyranicus

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Maybe someday when the current version doesn't work as well.
Maybe, maybe not. Nethergate is an incredible game, but it's always been a bit of a financial disappointment for Spiderweb.

I can see that. There's a grand total of 2 topics on the Steam forum, none on the Gamefaqs forum, and no new topics on the Spiderweb Nethergate board since the game was released on Steam. Not a great sign for a new release on Steam. Steam and Gamefaqs forums are usually a pretty good indication of whether a game is selling well.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Sad. frown I still believe that, aging engine aside, Nethergate (:R) is Jeff's finest piece of work. I wish I understood why it didn't appeal to more people (obviously today the engine is aged, but apparently it never took off even when the engine was...less aged).

in general, gamers aren't interested in parts of history that aren't WWII

Mmm. I suppose that is so...all those Call of Duty games or whatever are WWII, aren't they? Shooting Nazis and all? The audience for Jeff's games is a special subset of gamers, but your point probably would hold true. I guess gamers at large like killing Nazis? Or is there some other appeal to games set in the period?

I suppose that there are a fair number of strategy games that draw on other aspects of history to some degree (e.g. the Age of Empires games, etc.). I remember back when I was younger, it seemed like there were quite a few such games (anyone else play Caesar II?). It seems some incarnation of Civilization is always around; I'm not sure how much any other history-based strategy games are out there today. I suspect strategy games in general are more niche games than big-name Nazi-shooting extravaganzas.

Thoughts? As an aspiring history teacher, I've realized this is an intriguing topic. What periods in history appeal to people in their games, and what exactly is the appeal of playing games set in those periods? Are there many other RPGs set in a concrete historical time and place (a la Nethergate)? I know there are games inspired by a historical setting, that adopt certain trappings of a period or culture, but I can't think of many that claim such a specific setting like "Roman Britain during Boudica's uprising."

As a Engaland man Its sad to hear that Nethergate (either version) were not huge hits. For me it was nearly equal to my favorite games (Avernum 1 & 2) and had a special place as it centred around an awesome peroid of history here in Britain!

I think I did bring myself to play as those cursed Romans a few times... but I loved being woad covered hairy hot water and milk drinking celts!!

I remember vividly visiting old castles when I was younger including Staffordshire castle which is 5 mins up the road from where I grew up and features a ruined Saxon fort, once part of a proper motte and bailey fort, and this game felt so local to me!

By the way, if anyone is interested in playing N:R with the original Nethergate creature graphics (yellow goblins, gray wolves, etc), I made mod called the Nethergate Graphics Rewind back when N:R first came out. This mod will work with the Steam version. The game data files can be found in steamapps\common\nethergate_resurrection inside the Steam data folder (usually C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam).

Originally Posted By: The Kingdom of West Brom
I remember vividly visiting old castles when I was younger including Staffordshire castle which is 5 mins up the road from where I grew up and features a ruined Saxon fort, once part of a proper motte and bailey fort, and this game felt so local to me!

I went here once with school, and remember being very impressed.

I went ahead and purchased on Steam, too, despite already owning the game twice. smile

Eh. I think my favourite historical site is probably Nottingham Castle, and not just because it's ridiculously close to where I live. Robin Hood, civil wars, awesome battlements? Count me in!

(I also live within driving distance to Eyam, and all those little villages that seem to be the basis for every single Victorian/Dickensian novel. It's great. :))

I have a recommendation question in regards to nethergate. I just finished the revenge emperor quest for Avernum Escape from the Pit and Im very glad it was over due to a negative experience with the game. I really didnt like anything about the game-The lack of story, the annoying outdoor battles.

My question is is Nethergate Resurrection worth it or is it just another Avernum escape from the pit where there is crap fights in the outdoors, and little to no story?

Nethergate is probably the most story-driven of the Spiderweb games. There's plenty of world and sidequests abound, but you're doing specific things for specific reasons in named chapters until you get to the grand finale.

There are still outdoor battles, though. They aren't hard, you can avoid some, and they're not part of the plot, but they're there.

—Alorael, who thinks E1/A1 is alone in its aimlessness. There really isn't a story. You explore a world, stumble into some quests, and eventually do major things, but it's not story-driven. A2 has a little bit of that, but the Empire War gives it all more immediacy and more pressing goals. Everything else gives you story as well as atmosphere.

Im not really hating on the outdoor encounters, I just usually like games to have a solid story even if it doesnt matter. Everything else was good from what I saw.

Not to question jeff or anything, but I am starting to believe that the earlier 5 or 8 skill point per lvl system works better. Im not saying that Avernum Escape from the Pit is the worst, but if you had given Avernum 1-3 of the earlier games a revamp of graphics with the old 5 skill point system, that would be awesome.

Its my own fault it took me a while to understand what works for lvling in the old games, but once you do know, I doubt Geneforge 1-5 and Avernum 4-6 will be better with a revamp.

If what you say is true of Nethergate, I will definitely give it a shot. Thanks for your opinion.